Should I go to selective school? (1 Viewer)

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I just got accepted into a selective school ranked top 10 in the state. However, I am not entirely sure whether I want to move schools or not. What do you think?
I have highlighted the important points
Why I should stay:
- can get leadership roles (prefect, swimming captain etc.)
- friends/have been going since year 5

- i know the teachers and how the school works whereas i will be at a foreign school.
- i can get the same hsc results. Except, I will need to be ranked pretty much 1st for all my subjects :|
- no one in my school has gotten the atar i want
- current school ranked ~100-200 (depending on cohort) like, say around three 99s per (good) year?
- I will be losing my tutors because they teach at the school
- I may get floundered if I move

Why I should go:
- ranked top 10 in state so stronger cohort
- saves about $10 000 per year
- selective school is about 5 minutes away from home

- people at the selective school (of course) has gotten the atar i want
- despite the fact that i lose my tutors, i still get them as a teacher. It's just the element of 'one-on-one' tutoring that getting to me :/
- I have friends there as well (i know about 25 people there)

ANY OPINIONS ON WHETHER I SHOULD GO OR NOT?

Shadowless

HSC
Hey guys, I just got accepted into a selective school ranked top 10 in the state. However, I am not entirely sure whether I want to move schools or not. What do you think?
I have highlighted the important points
Why I should stay:
- can get leadership roles (prefect, swimming captain etc.)
- friends/have been going since year 5

- i know the teachers and how the school works whereas i will be at a foreign school.
- i can get the same hsc results. Except, I will need to be ranked pretty much 1st for all my subjects :|
- no one in my school has gotten the atar i want
- current school ranked ~100-200 (depending on cohort) like, say around three 99s per (good) year?
- I will be losing my tutors because they teach at the school
- I may get floundered if I move

Why I should go:
- ranked top 10 in state so stronger cohort
- saves about $10 000 per year
- selective school is about 5 minutes away from home

- people at the selective school (of course) has gotten the atar i want
- despite the fact that i lose my tutors, i still get them as a teacher. It's just the element of 'one-on-one' tutoring that getting to me :/
- I have friends there as well (i know about 25 people there)

ANY OPINIONS ON WHETHER I SHOULD GO OR NOT?

I think you should go.

Btw, what is the 'ATAR' that you want?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
In the end, it is your decision whether or not you choose to go to a selective school. Based on your pros and cons, I reckon the pros of going outweigh the cons so in my view, I reckon you should follow up the offer. (this is my thought, don't let it influence your decision)

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
I think you should go.

Btw, what is the 'ATAR' that you want?
99.7+ :) which is quite ambitious of me lol

In the end, it is your decision whether or not you choose to go to a selective school. Based on your pros and cons, I reckon the pros of going outweigh the cons so in my view, I reckon you should follow up the offer. (this is my thought, don't let it influence your decision)
yeah thanks for your input but even the cons such as 'losing my tutors', 'no leadership roles' and 'floundered' you reckon aren't important?

ugh im so confused on whether i should take the offer or not because i dont want it to be a mistake if i move (for the reasons above). :( anymore opinions?

Shadowless

HSC
:eek: COMLAW?

well... in that case... I DEFINITELY THINK you should go as it would make your goal... not necessarily easier but definitely less stressful to attain

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This seems like a no brainer to go. Honestly please move schools. It's 5 mins from home that is so convenient too! Luck person!

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
This

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

yeah thanks for your input but even the cons such as 'losing my tutors', 'no leadership roles' and 'floundered' you reckon aren't important?

ugh im so confused on whether i should take the offer or not because i dont want it to be a mistake if i move (for the reasons above). :( anymore opinions?
All I can say is moving from a private school is a HUGE change, it sounds weak, but I moved back to my current school because I didnt like the environment etc. If you have any doubts, don't move - I was exactly in your position

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
but ill be losing my tutors! thats the main reason why i dont wanna go!
But won't it be awesome to have them as class teachers, you'll have them nearly everyday! And they can always help you outside class time! ANd you can always get extra tutors if you want. But you may not even need them with good teachers at school.

And Justin, did you go private to selective and not like it? What about the environment?

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
But won't it be awesome to have them as class teachers, you'll have them nearly everyday! And they can always help you outside class time! ANd you can always get extra tutors if you want. But you may not even need them with good teachers at school.

And Justin, did you go private to selective and not like it? What about the environment?
you raised a good point. But wouldn't i be able to get the same result at my current school (while also getting leadership roles)?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

It was a massive shock to me, partly because I've been going my current school since kindergarten, looking back I was way too sheltered... I've gotten this question heaps, but I just couldn't get used to the kids, teachers and overall environment (like the buildings, lack of rules, uniform) - should've just stuck through it though, felt like a freaking pansy moving back, brother joked about it a lot like "wtf are you going to do at uni" hahaha but yeah, I couldn't concentrate and wasn't going to risk it in year 12

EDIT: Just making sure, i wasnt (and also not) a social outcast, it was just a personal issue from what I've been used to

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Move schools and if it doesn't work out in the first two weeks or so, you can always move back without having missed too much

Coookies

HSC
How far is you current school?

5 mins from school is really good.

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
How far is you current school?

5 mins from school is really good.
about 30minutes drive :)

but the thing is:
1) i dont want to lose my tutors because i know they work for me - they can't show favoritism in the class which means one one one tutoring still benefits
2) im going to be losing out on some leadership roles if i go, which may hurt my CV
3) im going to be in a foreign school, i dont know how the system works and i may be demotivated.
4) I can still get the same the same result at my current school.

I'm in fact, leaning towards declining my offer. It's just all you guys are saying to go, even my tutors says it will benefit. But how! with the reasons above!

teeah

HSC
With all the 'rebuttals' it seems as though you really don't want to go. If I were in your position, I would go to the selective school, I think it'll be of more help when you're in y12 and you need that competitive environment. However, if you're really not that keen on going, stay at the school you're at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)