Should I integrate the two texts in my essay? (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
Since this is a comparative study I've done my first integrated essay where I discuss both texts in the same paragraph. I've never done it before since I always only ever talked about one text per paragraph in my preliminary years.

My question would be is it better to integrate or do it separately?

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I always found it better to do my texts separately. My teacher who was a senior HSC marker told me to go by the date in which the text was published. So for example, my Module A which was Elizabeth Barret Browning poetry and The Great Gatsby, I was told to put EBB first because of the publish date.

As this is a comparative study, it is pivotal that you use words of comparison such as: "similarly, contrarily, on a different notion, on a similar view". Through this, you adhere to the guidelines of the comparative study and it also enables you to analyze and discuss the texts in more depth and sophistication.

Constantine

HSC
I always found it better to do my texts separately. My teacher who was a senior HSC marker told me to go by the date in which the text was published. So for example, my Module A which was Elizabeth Barret Browning poetry and The Great Gatsby, I was told to put EBB first because of the publish date.

As this is a comparative study, it is pivotal that you use words of comparison such as: "similarly, contrarily, on a different notion, on a similar view". Through this, you adhere to the guidelines of the comparative study and it also enables you to analyze and discuss the texts in more depth and sophistication.
Personally I think while integrating is great it really doesn't do you any good if you can't do it well. Doing the texts separately will work just as well as long as you show the links between using the "words of comparison" as you said. I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Thanks for the reply!
:)

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
I separated. It helps ensure that the examiners are extremely clear about which texts you're talking about all times.

You can get great results with either approach, but separation just makes life easier for your markers which means more likely to look favourably on your meekly cowering essays.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Separate texts, then match paragraphs by theme.

Paragraph 1: Theme 1, Text 1
Paragraph 2: Theme 1, Text 2
Paragraph 3: Theme 2, Text 1
Paragraph 4: Theme 2, Text 2

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Never integrate two texts in one paragraph-result in either excessively long paragraphs or extremely brief details in each paragraph. Use AbsoluteZero's recommended structure:)

Constantine

HSC
Wow now everyone's saying I should differentiate instead D:
I think I'm more confident this way too but for my actual assessment I integrated anyway and I ended up coming third in the grade instead of my usual second. I'd hate to think this was one of the contributing factors.

Terribly confused.
I know this way is much more easier and clearer for both the writer and the marker but doesn't integration of the text best show an in-depth comparative study? I've heard integrating gives you a higher mark advantage over students who do it separately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)