Should I keep/ drop 3U maths?? (1 Viewer)

Should I keep ancient history or maths (3U)?

• Keep Ancient!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Keep Maths!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Astea

HSC
So at the moment I'm in year 11, and if I'm dropping units I'd choose either 3U maths or Ancient History. I'm getting around 50% for 3U maths tests, while 85-90+ for Ancient History. It's pretty obvious which subject I'm better at... And at the same time, I find Ancient History much more enjoyable (I've grown to detest maths due to unrelentingly naggy parents).

Except there are all these rumors about scaling: How ancient scales badly, and 3U scales really well (which I'm aware of), except don't know if it's worth dropping ancient (Which I'm good at) and keeping something I DISLIKE and am terrible at. So interests aside, which subject will be more beneficial in the long run? [I'm planning to do Commerce/ Psychology side in Uni]. I spoke to my maths teacher- she advised me to drop 3U maths because my school excels in it, rendering me 'behind in the race'. I also spoke to my career advisor, who told me I'd be safer off keeping with ancient, because HSC is all about marks and not pre-requisites... But then my maths tutor and some of my classmates are also convincing me to keep 3U, only because it'd be more favorable in uni, and I'd end up with a higher mark with 77% aggregate as opposed to 90% ancient mark.

Too many conflicting views... SO CONFUSED! HELP!?

lolwot

HSC
How many units are you on? I would recommend you to see how your going at the end of this term or end of term 1, and decide from there. You never know what could happen!

jnney

lemon
HSC
Drop 3U maths. I think if I did that when I was in year 11, and had kept physics instead life would be a lot easier. I don't regret keeping it though, but, if you want to get the highest atar possible, keep your ancient history: it'll be more favourable for you during times of stress in comparison to maths. I can't express how many rivers I've cried because of it (just kidding) - but seriously, it is so important to keep what you like, or what you are good at. Drop maths.

3U isn't going to scale well if you're doing poorly, just like how ancient history won't scale badly if you are on top.

Astea

HSC
Thanks for the reply guys :)
@lolwot: I've got 12 atm, if I drop 3U maths I'd be on 11... And if I drop ancient I'd be sitting on 10.

But another thing... Anyone know how 'badly' ancient scales like what others say? I mean I'm starting to fret over whether I may be worse off choosing ancient instead of maths...

Shazer2

HSC
If you can pull 90+ in Ancient, you aren't going to be bad off. :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Scaling won't save you if you're performing poorly in it, in the end, base your subject decisions on what you enjoy and don't enjoy

enoilgam

HSC
Drop 3U maths. I think if I did that when I was in year 11, and had kept physics instead life would be a lot easier. I don't regret keeping it though, but, if you want to get the highest atar possible, keep your ancient history: it'll be more favourable for you during times of stress in comparison to maths. I can't express how many rivers I've cried because of it (just kidding) - but seriously, it is so important to keep what you like, or what you are good at. Drop maths.

3U isn't going to scale well if you're doing poorly, just like how ancient history won't scale badly if you are on top.
Scaling won't save you if you're performing poorly in it, in the end, base your subject decisions on what you enjoy and don't enjoy
These two - dropping MX1 seems like the best choice.

Peeik

HSC
So at the moment I'm in year 11, and if I'm dropping units I'd choose either 3U maths or Ancient History. I'm getting around 50% for 3U maths tests, while 85-90+ for Ancient History. It's pretty obvious which subject I'm better at... And at the same time, I find Ancient History much more enjoyable (I've grown to detest maths due to unrelentingly naggy parents).

Except there are all these rumors about scaling: How ancient scales badly, and 3U scales really well (which I'm aware of), except don't know if it's worth dropping ancient (Which I'm good at) and keeping something I DISLIKE and am terrible at. So interests aside, which subject will be more beneficial in the long run? [I'm planning to do Commerce/ Psychology side in Uni]. I spoke to my maths teacher- she advised me to drop 3U maths because my school excels in it, rendering me 'behind in the race'. I also spoke to my career advisor, who told me I'd be safer off keeping with ancient, because HSC is all about marks and not pre-requisites... But then my maths tutor and some of my classmates are also convincing me to keep 3U, only because it'd be more favorable in uni, and I'd end up with a higher mark with 77% aggregate as opposed to 90% ancient mark.

Too many conflicting views... SO CONFUSED! HELP!?
Drop extension 1 maths. It will be a waste of time studying something you have no interest in. Use that time to study for other subjects you enjoy. It sounds like you enjoy ancient history so dropping it should be the last thing you should do.

Astea

HSC
Thanks for the reply guys! Does anyone else know whether 3U maths is a pre-requisite for Commerce (Mainly Economics) or Psychology in uni? I'm planning on Usy, Macquarie or UNSW..
Like I said before, my career advisor said 3U maths WASN'T required for economics (Except for finance) but then my dad kept pointing out the section in UAC guide where it said 3U maths was 'recommended'. So how important is this 'recommended' section for my future...?

karategirl17

HSC
Drop extension 1 maths. It will be a waste of time studying something you have no interest in. Use that time to study for other subjects you enjoy. It sounds like you enjoy ancient history so dropping it should be the last thing you should do.
+1

I 100% agree. From personal experience I find that the subjects you enjoy the most you do better in because you actually want to study them instead of procrastinating over a subject that you dislike and as a result hating it further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)