• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I move up to 2u mathematics from general? (1 Viewer)

huhwotsthis

HSC
Apparently, we can decide to move up or down in maths classes after this term. I find general too easy since it's soo easy and unmotivating. I have gotten more than 90 in each test, but I'm worried the other people doing well may get better than me and with scaling.:(

emma12

HSC
I've come from Mathematics to General, and they are two completely different courses in my opinion. You may be doing very well in General, but do horrible when you move up to Mathematics. I suggest you look at some of the work, maybe you can get some off your friends that do Mathematics, and see whether you are up to it.
My Mathematics teacher always use to say that if you are in Mathematics, you should be a thinker. By that she meant that instead of just knowing a formula, you had to know why and be able to see it in other mathematic problems, you had to really think about the question. And you also should consider yourself a Mathematician. It does sound positive though, that you want to be motivated, because you will be in Mathematics.
Hope that helps!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Move up to 2U math! General Math scales so badly you may as well no even do it. No uni couse even assumes you do general math, but some assume you know 2U math.

Foxodi

HSC
Grab a mathematics textbook in some of your free's, and see if you can teach yourself some of it and feel comfortable with it (maybe ask for some help from friends that do 2u). Because from what I've seen of general maths, they are defiantly two different subjects (tbh I dont think general maths should be called maths :D), so you wanna make sure you can handle the concepts (which arn't that hard btw) before you move up.

Also I think talking to your maths teacher would be benefical.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I would recommend that you go and have a chat to your Year Advisor, Subject Co-ordinator, or even your Maths teacher and talk to them about your dilemma, and perhaps they could shed some light.

m&ss2008

HSC
foram said:
No uni couse even assumes you do general math, but some assume you know 2U math.
when it says "any two units of maths" it means "any two units of maths" (surprising i know) general maths is included in that

BackCountrySnow

HSC
A friend of mine was getting a 30% average in 2 unit. Dropped to General, and is now coming first. I think he's getting marks in the 90s.

If you're doing well in general it doesn't mean you will do well in 2uint. Get a hold of a 2u text book and have a read through it and see how well you undersatnd the concepts.

good luck!

michael1990

HSC
If you think you can do a lot better in 2 Unit i would move up.

But make sure you can get a high mark in 2 Unit.

As a mark of 93 scales to i think a >85 in 2 Unit.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
2U math is scaled better than most subjects. It would scale almost as well as Economics I think. If you can get a band 6 in 2U math, then it will be many time better than a band 6 in general math.

michael1990

HSC
foram said:
2U math is scaled better than most subjects. It would scale almost as well as Economics I think. If you can get a band 6 in 2U math, then it will be many time better than a band 6 in general math.
I don't believe it would scale well against Economics.

But i think its like if you get 93 in general its scaled to >85 in 2 Unit.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
2U math will scale about as well as biology then. Eitherway, it's one of the better scaling subjects.

michael1990

HSC
foram said:
2U math will scale about as well as biology then. Eitherway, it's one of the better scaling subjects.
Agreed, but subjects are only scaled well if you can do well in them.

Otherwise there is no point in doing those subjects.

Also, the line between General and 2 Unit Math's is becoming increasingly close! General used to be said as doing something that was 'piss easy' but it has become a lot harder. Hence the gap between General and 2 Unit has become close.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Economics is has the highest scaling out of all the social sciences, last time I checked. ..

But about moving from General to 2U Maths, I reckon that you should just research abit more first - look at their textbook, try some questions, ask your maths teacher and the other students doing 2U Maths. But yeah, just give it a go. I mean, it wouldn't be that hard to drop back down to General if you don't do that well in 2U Maths, would it?

huhwotsthis

HSC
:(plz dont mention eco, i wanted that so bad:( my stupid skool didnt offer:(

HSC
foram said:
scaling isnt everything, you should not base your decision upon this statement
if you are coping well with general and are finding it easy then you should move up

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Well if you're finding General Mathematics easy and you believe that you will be able to cope with 2 Unit Mathematics, then I strongly suggest you consider moving up. But that really depends on what you want to pursue after you leave school [I'm assuming you're aiming to enter university]. With that said, General Mathematics isn't going to be much use. Minimum required background knowledge is like 2 Unit Mathematics.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
huhwotsthis said:
sorry to hear :(

perfectstudent1 said:
scaling isnt everything, you should not base your decision upon this statement
if you are coping well with general and are finding it easy then you should move up
:) TRUTH!!

scaling is designed to 'not give a students an advantage nor a disdavantage from choosing a certain course'. It is designed to let students pick courses they are good at.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
huhwotsthis said:
Why doesn't your school offer Eco? How many people wanted to do it? Not enough?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
How can there be not enough people for eco? It's a really popular subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)