Should I repeat Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Synchronised

HSC
No, no no no no.

This type of 'self-help' motivation bullshit presupposes that everyone understands and learns in the same way, when that is just not the case. This isn't as simple as 'drawing a mind map'.

And please don't tell me that you believe that 'university' is any less sheltered from the real world than high school was. You've 'worked' in uni, great for you. Going to leave anytime soon to pursue the 'real world'?

Technically, every decision you've made since your birth, and heck even the ones your parents made, and their parents made, etc, shapes your life. It's called cause and effect.
Have you watched the movie "The Butterfly Effect"? This comment reminds me of that movie :D it is awesome!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Technically, every decision you've made since your birth, and heck even the ones your parents made, and their parents made, etc, shapes your life. It's called cause and effect.
Yep. If for whatever reason i had gotten an ATAR about 2 or 3 higher i probably would have gone to UNSW instead of UTS, in turn i wouldn't have met all my friends here and because of that would never have met my now girlfriend. Can't regret anything in the past because for all you know your life is better for it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
100% of kids at your age will say that their parents are stupid and need to grow up. 25 years down the track the grand kids will say exactly the same thing to parents and so on. C'est la vie!

You are lucky to have parents who tell you the right thing and prepare to support you. Other parents will just let you screw yourself. Most students who just go to Uni do what they don't like and hope for transfer and will NOT get a transfer. Why? They will perform so badly in Uni when they do what they don't like and barely manage to pass anyway. Uni is 2x times as hard in first year when students are not familiar with working without help, higher workload, too much freedom, social clubs and sex drive ... They end up spending more time at the many bars at Uni drinking beer, trying some recreational drugs and find a girl/guy to get laid. At the end of the year many consider they are lucky not to fail everything and get kicked out. This is why drop-out rates at Unis are terrible for first year.

The rule of reality is simple: bad quality input => worse quality output

Any positive variation from the above rule is just rare exceptions and dreams.

Think carefully and listen to yourself first then listen to your parents. Only your parents really care if you will screw yourself up or do something right. Others will tell you what you like to hear, screw yourself and so they will be riding on your heads. Why? They don't care.

I have been to Uni and worked at Unis for a long time. I have seen many lives got thrown away at these places.
What is this i don't even?

If you adopt Kumon philosophy
Ah, now it all makes sense.

forever7

HSC
My HSC results this this year are a lot lower than I expected them to be (I /saw/ it coming because I slacked a lot, but seeing it in print sort of seals the deal). I'm devastated, and so are my parents. I wanted to do Comp Sci. at UNSW and then maybe try for Post-Grad Med, but that isn't happening due to my ATAR.

My new plan is to do another Computing course in UTS and then hopefully transfer to UNSW, but both my parents (especially my father) are telling me to repeat year 12. They're both incredibly angry at me and my Dad isn't speaking to me. I don't know what to do. They've lost all faith in me, and think my plan is terrible and they don't think I can do well in Uni.

I'm really confused as to what to do. Is my plan okay? Or should I listen and repeat Year 12?
So I made an account just for you.

It seems everyone on here is bashing the concept of repeating year 12 and claiming that you won't improve your ATAR mark. Of course it is definitely up to the individual, but despite all the discouragement of repeating, I did so this year. I can tell you that my ATAR last year was 68.9 last year and this year it was 96.4, doing all the same subjects. I honestly don't think I put in A MASSIVE effort or had a transformation of the sought between the years but I think being familiar with the format of the HSC and examinations throughout helped me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still studied but repeating turned out to be the best thing for me. Now I have the ATAR for my desired course, something that I couldn't even dream of last year after my 2011 ATAR.

In the end, it's up to you :)
I just thought I may give you the info that IT IS POSSIBLE to improve

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
So I made an account just for you.

It seems everyone on here is bashing the concept of repeating year 12 and claiming that you won't improve your ATAR mark. Of course it is definitely up to the individual, but despite all the discouragement of repeating, I did so this year. I can tell you that my ATAR last year was 68.9 last year and this year it was 96.4, doing all the same subjects. I honestly don't think I put in A MASSIVE effort or had a transformation of the sought between the years but I think being familiar with the format of the HSC and examinations throughout helped me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still studied but repeating turned out to be the best thing for me. Now I have the ATAR for my desired course, something that I couldn't even dream of last year after my 2011 ATAR.

In the end, it's up to you :)
I just thought I may give you the info that IT IS POSSIBLE to improve
+1

I'm repeating this year, or at least re-doing some subjects. I did pretty well for English, but I have problems writing essays on the spot or at least making it eloquent and I left memorising my essays a week before Paper 2, which by the time I actually got to the exam, I had stressed over it way too much, I just bombed out. My ATAR was a reflection of the amount of effort I put in; close to an asterisks. I can't get into university now, regardless of the fact I took a bunch of high scaling subjects that actually scaled me down. Not even my EAS could save me.

I'm sure the OP would have noticed that with an estimate of 70-80, is pretty decent as it's up to you if you're going to do well in university to transfer. I would kill for a 70-80 ATAR at the moment, and my parents would have preferred a 70-80 rather than my ATAR in the 50's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)