Should I try out for law or not? (1 Viewer)

jayauhk

HSC
I'm in year 11 right now and I've been thinking about doing law in university since I was 8. However, the subjects I will be taking in year 12 are the following: chemistry, biology, 3U maths, 4U maths, SOR, advanced English. Since I'm not confident in doing courses such as legal and history, I didn't pick them and instead, all of my subjects are quite science-maths-based (subjects that I'll most likely to do well in). Most of my friends have advised me not to pursue a career in law as I struggled and didn't do well in those humanitarian subjects in the past 4 years. I'm still unsure if I should try out for law or not because it's true that I'm not good at writing things on the spot (need time to produce a good essay) as my first language is not English (migrated to Australia when I was young) and I'm afraid that I'll struggle in the future. Even though I didn't pick those humanitarian subjects (I'm better in maths), I'm actually very interested in those subjects.

Simorgh

HSC
Why do you want to do Law? Just because of prestige and money? If its just that then I simply don't suggest you to not do it.

If you love reading a lot, writing a lot of essays, have critical thinking skills, love arguing and debating. If you have all of that then you should definitely do Law.

D94

HSC
N/A
You basically described all the reasons for not pursuing law.

I know this is the USYD section, but you should sit UNSW's LAT for law admissions to see if you are actually capable.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't do any humanity subjects in HSC, I also came to Australia when I was quite young (with English being my second language) and I am now in third year of law at UNSW. The point is not doing humanity subjects won't deter you from doing well in law in uni, however, you should consider your reasons for doing law carefully (because law does require a lot of reading and writing)

jayauhk

HSC
The reason why I want to study law is because I've experienced and also have seen many unjust things happened to the people around me. Through the study of law, I want to become someone in the future to help those who are disadvantaged in society. The reason why I posted this on the USYD section because this is the place where I want to study for uni. I don't mind reading a lot, in fact, I love reading! I've thought about all the other courses provided by USYD and I'm not interested in any of them except this particular course- law.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Do law, and if it's too difficult, drop out. Simple.

si2136

HSC
N/A
There's no harm in doing it, don't like it, drop it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The reason why I want to study law is because I've experienced and also have seen many unjust things happened to the people around me. Through the study of law, I want to become someone in the future to help those who are disadvantaged in society. The reason why I posted this on the USYD section because this is the place where I want to study for uni. I don't mind reading a lot, in fact, I love reading! I've thought about all the other courses provided by USYD and I'm not interested in any of them except this particular course- law.
But you need to do law as a combined degree, maybe consider whether you might be interested in another course at all, otherwise you will be having a hard time in your law degree if you really are 'completely not interested' in any other course.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
I've personally found essay writing in law to have more parallels with the deductive reasoning I learnt in geometry than anything I did in my humanities subjects. That said, you do need to be good at expressing yourself. Both the sciences and the humanities teach you that, but I guess the later does so in a more overt way. Honestly, if you can get in, then you probably have the brains/determination to get through.

Also OP, I think you should look into more law schools - if it's really what you're passionate about, where you go to learn it shouldn't be that important.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hey mate,

Absolutely go and try law.

I'm only posting because the way you describe yourself (science/math person, can't write essays on the spot, english isnt first language) is very similar to me. I did 3u maths, bio, phys, econ and eng adv. Eng adv was my worst subject and something I always struggled in. Although, I've overcome language issues etc, I also came to aus at around 10. Before doing law and commerce at usyd, I hated essays and couldn't string together a decent sentence or argue effectively. I wanted to try it (I wasn't 100% sure) and ended up really enjoying it and doing quite well (had a Distinction WAM for law units and ranked very very high for some units i.e. top 5 in class). This was not because of my english skills (which is shit btw), if anything it was the processes and skills you pick up in maths/science that teaches you to think and synthesise a ton of info quickly that helps.

As you can see, I no longer do law (I didn't want to be a lawyer, only picked it up because I was interested in studying it and wanted to stay in uni longer) but I would definately do it again.

So DEFINITELY try it if you want. Most of the kids I know smashing law pretty much did the subs you are doing.

Edit: I did comm/law at usyd until 3rd year.

Last edited:

noblanketban

HSC
I am in final year law at USYD.

I don't know about the other law schools, but law in USYD is extremely commercially oriented. If social justice is your passion, then you might not enjoy your time here.

If you are not from a privileged background, you will feel extremely out of place as most high-achieving students do have lawyers' parents and thus a lot more support for their studies and career. Competition is fierce and not healthy. Law Society is cliquey and unless you are in the "in-group" there is little you can do to get involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)