Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
^
or they can drink some concrete, harden the fuck up and take and take a annual leave day to celebrate their rapapadum.
What the fuck are you posting about you dumbfuck redneck sped?
I never said that they deserve public holidays. As far as I'm concerned there should be NO religious public holidays. It's essentially vacation your forced to take and which lowers your pay-packet. Want holidays? Negotiate with your employer

HSC
What the fuck are you posting about you dumbfuck redneck sped?
I never said that they deserve public holidays. As far as I'm concerned there should be NO religious public holidays. It's essentially vacation your forced to take and which lowers your pay-packet. Want holidays? Negotiate with your employer
Twas meant for Sidicious-Reign u long legged pissed of thingomajig.

MelindaMelinda

_Lindy_:)
HSC
Im a Muslim so i do think that we should have the holiday off
but we also have to think of the other religions that would want their holiday off too
so i think that employers should allow their employees to have their religious day off

XFatimaX

HSC
Nah what for? Freaking hell, if we're gonna have public holidays for every religion we will end up sitting at home.

rinc

HSC
Hahah some really bigoted posts in this thread.
Nobody except the indigenous people of australia can claim this country as theirs.
Also, maybe some of you should stop being ignorant and singling out extremist examples and using them to represent entire religions/cultures.

To the people saying things like "go back to your own country", you're insinuating that anyone who wants to seek some recognition of their culture is not welcome in Australia. You may not agree with what they want, and to an extent i don't agree that we should have muslim public holidays either but don't give them crap for trying. Wouldn't you if you were in that position?

Sprangler

HSC
Nah what for? Freaking hell, if we're gonna have public holidays for every religion we will end up sitting at home.
Just to be clear: He is asking for Muslims to be allowed to take days off on their religious holidays, not the entire state/country. Not a big ask, it doesn't affect me at all, but I don't think any religious holidays should be recognized.. except for saturday & sunday, because it makes sense to rest after a week of work.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Just to be clear: He is asking for Muslims to be allowed to take days off on their religious holidays, not the entire state/country. Not a big ask, it doesn't affect me at all, but I don't think any religious holidays should be recognized.. except for saturday & sunday, because it makes sense to rest after a week of work.
the thing is you do not realise, if say christmas was not a public holiday, the stores would have to open, so the warehouses would have to open, and the truck drivers would have to work, and everyone else would have to work, including those who would like to celebrate the religious side of christmas.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
just to be clear: He is asking for muslims to be allowed to take days off on their religious holidays, not the entire state/country. Not a big ask, it doesn't affect me at all, but i don't think any religious holidays should be recognized.. Except for saturday & sunday, because it makes sense to rest after a week of work.
+1

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
Im kinda glad to see that theres only a few racist comments in this thread, which is probably 100 less than the ones who commented on the official article ( in google ).

Secondly, I think this idea of changing the country's holidays and creating one for eid is never going to work as someone said. In saying that however, i think eid should be recognized in that, prior to eid an employee should be able to tell their boss, look its my festival tomorrow and if its okay with you id like to take that day off to be with my family. That employee can make up for that day on another day. For example my dad works xmas day every year ( hes a doctor and since hospitals are always open... ) and every eid he takes the day off to be with us.

For the person who said to ' go back to where we came from ' and to stop taking for granted this ' invitation ' ( i rephrased what you said, so it may be inaccurate, however the general idea is still obvious ) Id just like to remind you

1) Australia did not invite anyone, the White Australia Policy was only removed to increase the labour workforce. Thats when the asians and middle easterns came in.

2) We play a very big part in your country right now in terms of

Economy/Trade ( Everything ' made in china, ' now if you piss off the chinese and send them all back, prepare to lose all your made in china items because im pretty sure china can sell them else where ). This also applies to India which is the fastest growing economy right now. Needless to say Australia is already on Indias badside.

Education ( needless to say just look at James Ruse and the top ten schools in NSW where the majority are asians who graduate with high 90's uai's and tend to be employed as doctors,dentists,accountants,engineers, getting scholarships/cadet ships etc etc. Now, although this looks like im generalizing, and i do realize many Australians pay a great deal of attention to education. Most that i know have lower expectations than typical asians in that they want 80+ uai, or an apprecentship, tafe, etc etc. Not that these are bad, but majority of people going for the higher sector are of other nationalities. And we do make up a large part of the workforce. We do work for your country, and we do pay our ' dues ' now although we do it for ourselves. Theres a lot in it for you.

Culture: Kebab shops, Thai Restaurants, China Town etc etc. Remove all other nationaltiies and you have maccas, burger ring, kfc. done.

3) Someone said something about Sudanese kids showing the ' darkside ' and how ' how these nationalities has a darkside. ' and something about them ' rolling ' a guy because he wasnt ' another colour. ' Ummm... Indians which were attacked in Melb & Sydney were also told ' to go back where they came from ' & were attacked simply because they weren't Australian. So it seems to me, Australians have a darkside too.

4) Just to state the obvious, this country thereotically speaking, belongs to Aboriginals. Everyone else came here. The " Australians " as convicts from Britian, and the other nationalities sometime later as " workers " We all came here in our own way. Same shit different smell.

I realize my reasons are a bit weak in that i havent really elaborated much or given strong examples, but given this is my ' break' from studying theres only so much i can write lol.

In general all i was saying is. I do appreciate being in Australia. I know if i had to go back to where i came from it would not be half as great as Australia. However in saying that, I hate it when people only point out the flaws these other nationalities bring with them and completely ignore all that we've also contributed to this country.

A lot of people ( extremist Muslims ) do try to impose stupid things, however, you must remember they are a minority and were not all bad.

Furthermore, Australia is what it is because of all of us together. Had Australia, America, UK remained anglo saxon i assure you there would be nothing interesting about the countries except for the fact that they knew how to keep/maintain peace to an extent.

These countries are what they are as a result of group effort. Australia is what it is because we all made it this way. Send everyone back to their own countries and well all be living in shit holes with no variation. I really do believe this.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
The line 'go back to where you came from' makes me lol.

For those who say that one should not bring their culture, customs and traditions to Australia as a migrant, and completely scrap their ethnic identity, you fail to recognise that the whites did in fact impose their ways on the Aborigines.

If I was to keep in line with your (stupid, ego-driven) argument, then the white people SHOULD have assimilated with the Aborigines when they entered this land. They should have assimilated, and no change should have been tolerated. Whatsoever. In 2009, this moment, we should all be eating witchetty grubs and telling stories of the dreamtime. Heck, the banjo should have been assimilated to the didgeridoo (sorry Slim Dusty, you great artistic bogan.)

It goes to show how weak, narrow-minded, unrealistic and ignorant such an argument is. If you don't like change - if you don't like people coming to Australia with their ethnic identity, then how about you go fuck yourself, you socially and culturally illiterate bunch of noobs?

Acceptance, not assimilation, is the answer. You go on with your ways, I go on with mine, with some compromise inbetween - that is what is needed - the very least. As long as we're both moral citizens and respect human dignity.

In my act of revenge against such triviality, I will impose my hummus way of life on all of you xenophobic ignoramuses who believe such.

Anyway, as I have already mentioned, Aborigines should have a public holiday. Australia always gives Aboriginals a small, truncated bit of recognition. The govt never fully *tabouli* recognises them well.
Australia 'allows' NAIDOC day - however it is not a public holiday. A public hoiday recognising the Indigenous people is far more important than the Queen's birthday. And by the time that white-headed wench finishes blowing out her birthday candles, she'll be a year older again.

Last edited:

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
Ownership by conquer. Everywhere was owned by someone before, civilizations flourished and fell, replaced by others. This is how life works.
Well i guess these other nationalizes are being a bit more civilized and asking permission ( ie for holidays ) rather than having a bitch/ego fit because they have a superiority complex and killing everything their path to satisfy their selfish desires.

Just a little more respectful. :haha:

КГБ

Banned
HSC
Sidicious-Reign is an uneducated cunt. he is jealous that the niggers in his area are smarter than him LOL

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
As an atheist (and I believe that we are a country of secular sentiment) I respect no religious holidays, including christian holidays (The logical conclusion of respecting no religion). Public holidays dictate economic production, I do not think it is the governments place to say when production can go ahead and rule on whether an individual (of no particular spiritual persuation) can earn an income.

Current holidays like christmas/boxing day have no religious value to me- sure I enjoy them as a legitimate time to relax in summer with the family, presents, food etc. It is only religious if you make it that way, for eg the Easter holidays as well.

Having said all this, I fundamentally believe in anyones right to practice whatever they want (per Freedom's "way of human nature" argument above) and would support X amount of "public holidays" (separate from normal AL, sick days etc) given to each and every worker per year.

This way, the majority of the "Christian" public (and mostly secularists alike) will take off Christmas and so forth, people of other persuasions (muslims, hindu's) won't have to give up working then and they can take off their days when appropriate.

This is the only fair and rational way for a society to operate.

I'm undecided on fully secular days such as Australia Day/ANZAC day- these days should have a meaning to all Australian's (regardless of ethnic background), perhaps an employee should not be penalised for having them off (as they are common to all, don't fit the definition of the "personal/spiritual" days off I proposed above), yet they should also be given the option to work (given the employer decides to open).

"Long-weekends" such as the Queen's Birthday I vehemently oppose as a strong republican. (different issue)

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Also, fuck off with the "christian nation" garbage.

This is an insult to those of us who believe in the enlightenment values which have served our nation so well.

Bainesy

HSC
Also, fuck off with the "christian nation" garbage.

This is an insult to those of us who believe in the enlightenment values which have served our nation so well.
you fuck off.

Australia is a Christian nation. We were a British colony back in 1788, the Brits being christian, which made us Christian. we have been Christian for our entire history

its not to say that everyone in australia should be christian, its just that most of our population is christian and we would like those that do not share our religious beliefs to shut the fuck up. after all, we dont go into every mosque and synagogue, urinate on the local shrine and proclaim"christ is the best. worship him bitches"

we dont try to change you and your practices, so dont try to change us and ours, particularly our christian holidays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)