Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (1 Viewer)

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Have to post this. It fits right into this thread.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
you fuck off.

Australia is a Christian nation. We were a British colony back in 1788, the Brits being christian, which made us Christian. we have been Christian for our entire history

its not to say that everyone in australia should be christian, its just that most of our population is christian and we would like those that do not share our religious beliefs to shut the fuck up. after all, we dont go into every mosque and synagogue, urinate on the local shrine and proclaim"christ is the best. worship him bitches"

we dont try to change you and your practices, so dont try to change us and ours
Dear Sir,

Your stupidity is bewildering.

I am aware of our demographic spiritual persuasion, that is another argument.

So every child born should "shut the fuck up"- given no one is born "having a personal relationship with JC" (a basic definition of Christianity)?

The inherent xenophobia is disgusting. Why compare me, as an atheist to Jews/Muslims anyway- I'd say you’re far more alike then myself.

If you want to run on the "spiritual beliefs" that were here first- it is those practices of Indigenous Australian's. We "came here and shoved our views upon them", wiping them into a minority (simply because we had more advanced weaponry etc) - is this morally justifiable?

The fact that our founding fathers were of Christian persuasion does not = a Christian constitution demanding Christian values from its citizens. The spirit of our constitution is very much a secular idea of "religious freedom" (including freedom from religion).

"We don’t try to change you and your practices, so don’t try to change us and ours"-

I think to the external observer, I hold this view far more then yourself.

A similar argument pops up against American conservatives- they were founded by predominately Christians, the USA is not a Christian nation though.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
We are not a christian nation. Remember, religion and history have long been the chief means by which the State wins back the loyalty of its subjects.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
An example of a religious nation would be:

Saudi Arabia. The rule of law is fully enshrined in religious rulings.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Rofl.

Don't like stormfront, too extreme. Plus they all hate jews for some reason.
You seem to be an absolute fucktard judging by your posts. 99.9% of people on stormfront are fucktards. You'll fit right in.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
We are not a christian nation. Remember, religion and history have long been the chief means by which the State wins back the loyalty of its subjects.
I thought the majority decided if we are a "christian" nation or not. Since Christians have the upper hand, doesn't this make Australia a Christian nation?

I see more Christian schools, churches etc than anything around.

Me being an atheist, I couldn't really care more if Australia was technically Christian nation or wasn't. But Christian principles way of life, I can tolerate. Muslim ways of life, I can't and won't.

Bainesy

HSC
nearly 2 out of 3 australians are christian

yea, we are a very secular nation clearly.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
I thought the majority decided if we are a "christian" nation or not. Since Christians have the upper hand, doesn't this make Australia a Christian nation?

I see more Christian schools, churches etc than anything around.

Me being an atheist, I couldn't really care more if Australia was technically Christian nation or wasn't. But Christian principles way of life, I can tolerate. Muslim ways of life, I can't and won't.
lol, christian way of life is nearly identical as the Islamic way of life. The Muslims are by the book whereas the Christians pick and choose what to follow because SECULAR society will not approve Christianity in its purest form.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
No, it doesn't. Religion here has absolutely fuck all to do with state. You know, like Turkey: Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which has a Muslim majority but is a secular country.
Exactly.

If you think the "offical state" position= the majority of people's persuasion, then your a retart.

Of course, historically our founding fathers were Christians (atheism etc, not a good idea back then- at least not in public).

We are still offically tied to the Queen- a "religious head of state". However, does this make the "official religion" of the state, christianity? No, it does not. We have no official religion- the fact the majority adopt a certain persuasion is irrelevant.

We are a secular nation in that we have a firm separation of church and state- perhaps some of our laws (British common law) was made originally in the spirit of the bible, yet any clever secularist would argue that the only one's enshrined in law are not in anyway "spiritual" and are laws innate to a normal man's morality, which have been there long before christianity (don't murder etc).

The fact very much remains that we are a "multi-faith" (including no faith) society, we impose no offical doctrine and our constitution clearly dictates religious freedom.

So legally we are not a christian nation and back to the issue at hand, should not legislate "public holidays" based on christian theology- even if they are appropriate for the majority.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
lol, christian way of life is nearly identical as the Islamic way of life. The Muslims are by the book whereas the Christians pick and choose what to follow because SECULAR society will not approve Christianity in its purest form.
I don't want to get into debate about "things in Islam I do not like". But there are a couple of (general) principles in Islam that I particularly do not want to see in the society.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The irony is, nations like America which are officially legislated as clearly very secular (being a republic), still hold this falsism much closer to their hearts then the average Aussie.

You keep bringing up the "majority"- but really, do you not think those statistics are biased or incorrect?

Look around, does religion play any part in our lives at all? It has barely any air time in the Australian public sphere like it does in America.

Go out into the street and shout your an atheist- no one here gives a fuck, you'll probably find most of the street care little for religion. Do it in the middle of Texas and you might be killed.

Australia isn't "One nation under God".

There is a very weak religious sentiment (if any) in the public life of Australia. We are a nation, at least in 2009, of a variety of cultures, ethnic backgrounds and traditions- the "majority" of us rational Australians enjoy this, care little for what their neighbour believes as long as it doesn't affect them and we all respect the right (or should) that these believes (irrespective of whether they are majority/minority) have no place in the public sphere (secularism!!!)- making Australia awsome.

*Note, I feel many people need to be reminded that:

Secularism =/= Atheism.

My parents are Christian, they don't think the state should be.

Can you imagine state enforced Christianity? Official rulings based on the OT in court- gee that would be fun.

Last edited:

russs

yeeeee
HSC
So legally we are not a christian nation and back to the issue at hand, should not legislate "public holidays" based on christian theology- even if they are appropriate for the majority.
I don't think we should have any religious holidays OR preferences, period. This way, we simply don't tolerate any particular ideology and these issues would not exist.

Sprangler

HSC
nearly 2 out of 3 australians are christian

yea, we are a very secular nation clearly.
Firstly, cite sources. Secondly, it doesn't matter how many Christians there are in Australia, the government is secular and this isn't going to change.

I think some people are getting their terms mixed up a bit. Calm down people :)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I don't think we should have any religious holidays OR preferences, period. This way, we simply don't tolerate any particular ideology and these issues would not exist.
I said that all along.

Just distribute X amount of "personal or spiritual" leave to every working Aussie.

Use it on Xmas or a Hindu festival.

No one cares.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)