Should Nathan Rees resign or be sacked? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I see little reason to have faith in Barry O'Farrell, what with him being a scumbag and selling out his parties major principles in blocking privatisation, but we are now in a situation where the devil you don't know could only be better.

georgefren

HSC
He shouldn't have to resign unless he feels like it. His performance may not have been up to par, but this is legally a 4 year term in which Labor has the right to implement any changes it wishes, popular at the time or not. At the end, you guys can vote Liberal. That's the right in a democracy. There's no right to demand a resignation partway through a term of office.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
He shouldn't have to resign unless he feels like it. His performance may not have been up to par, but this is legally a 4 year term in which Labor has the right to implement any changes it wishes, popular at the time or not. At the end, you guys can vote Liberal. That's the right in a democracy. There's no right to demand a resignation partway through a term of office.
UNLESS HE FEELS LIKE IT

spiny norman

HSC
Exphate said:
And yet, it was Iemma that was leader and not Rees. I don't see how the point you are making is really all that relevant.
Yes, but people voted for Labor. Not Morris Iemma.

My point is the party got elected in a fair election (there've been no major claims of corruption in it, best as I can tell). With that election, people voted for the party to be in government for the next four years. There are no reason for them to resign or be sacked from government. People can wait for 2011 and vote either way then. Until that time, this is the government that got elected.

Stop whinging that because you're not happy currently the rules of Australian democracy should be re-written.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
spiny norman said:
Yes, but people voted for Labor. Not Morris Iemma.

My point is the party got elected in a fair election (there've been no major claims of corruption in it, best as I can tell). With that election, people voted for the party to be in government for the next four years. There are no reason for them to resign or be sacked from government. People can wait for 2011 and vote either way then. Until that time, this is the government that got elected.

Stop whinging that because you're not happy currently the rules of Australian democracy should be re-written.
You are seriously the ultimate Labor hack.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Do you think that they are doing a 'good' job?

Do you think that, if it could be done (i.e. barring the State constitution), the Government should be dissolved and elections called?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Should he resign? Well you'd just get another ALP hack. The problem with this government is not just one of leadership. It's rotten to the core and bereft of ideas and talent.

Should he be sacked? I'm strongly of the view that the executive government should only be sacked by a Governor if 1)It loses the confidence of the Legislative Assembly, 2) It fails to secure an appropriation for the ordinary annual services of the Government, or 3) It is acting illegally/unconstitutionally. None of these has occured.

The sacking of a government for other reasons is the prerogative of the people at an election. I support recall elections and a return to 3 year terms for this reason.

spiny norman

HSC
jb_nc said:
Do you think that they are doing a 'good' job?
Not particularly. Occasionally there's something decent in there, but for the most, no. I do think there's some improvement with the removal of Iemma and Costa, but so long as poison like Tripodi and his influence is hanging around, it will be difficult for it to move in the right direction. That said, I see no reason to believe O'Farrell will be any better.

Do you think that, if it could be done (i.e. barring the State constitution), the Government should be dissolved and elections called?
No. People voted for them for a four year term. I hated Bush, but even he I don't think should've been thrown from office for an early election. People voted him in knowing they were for four years. Therefore, people get what they voted for. I do generally think four year terms are too long (the federal three's a better balance), but that's not the issue here.

impervious182

HSC
Rafy said:
Should he resign? Well you'd just get another ALP hack. The problem with this government is not just one of leadership. It's rotten to the core and bereft of ideas and talent.

Should he be sacked? I'm strongly of the view that the executive government should only be sacked by a Governor if 1)It loses the confidence of the Legislative Assembly, 2) It fails to secure an appropriation for the ordinary annual services of the Government, or 3) It is acting illegally/unconstitutionally. None of these has occured.

The sacking of a government for other reasons is the prerogative of the people at an election. I support recall elections and a return to 3 year terms for this reason.
Couldn't agree more.

The problem with NSW State Labor is that it's just one untalented hack after another. At the same time though, the Liberals aren't exactly a 'good' alernative at the moment; they too lack strong leadership and talent.

The whole concept of state and local government really needs to be revised and revamped. Kevin Rudd is in the perfect position to do that, but no doubt, he will not.

A more sensible idea would be an early election call. Kicking Labor out of power would be a much needed wake-up call.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:

Indeed.

banco55

HSC
Kujah said:
Remove Joe Tripodi.
Every time I see labor people like Joe Tripodi (and all the other corrupt greasy labor machine men/branch stackers who've bought Southern European style politics to NSW) I think of that scene in Godfather II:

"I don't like your kind coming out to this clean country, with your oily hair and silk suits, passing yourself off as decent Americans. I'll do business with you, but the fact is I despise your masquerade... the dishonest way you pose yourself... yourself and your whole fucking family."

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
You clearly know little about preferencing.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
pfft please, take your greens views and fuck off to tasmanina
Being a gobshite won't hide your failure to understand the preferencing system.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I don't get this thread. On what grounds should he resign or be sacked? What exactly is his failure? Has he sexually harassed another MP or secretary? Has he made a racist slur against another MP's wife?
Obviously he's not doing great on the economy, but to be fair he did inherit it like that and because of global economic conditions, many of the problems are beyond his control.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
moll. said:
I don't get this thread. On what grounds should he resign or be sacked? What exactly is his failure? Has he sexually harassed another MP or secretary? Has he made a racist slur against another MP's wife?
Obviously he's not doing great on the economy, but to be fair he did inherit it like that and because of global economic conditions, many of the problems are beyond his control.
Sexually harassing another MP or secretary would make him a fucking man, so would some racial slurs - infact he'd go up a notch in my book.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
katie tully said:
Sexually harassing another MP or secretary would make him a fucking man, so would some racial slurs - infact he'd go up a notch in my book.
I <3 Matt Brown and Peter Debnam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)