Should Religous Schools Be Shut Down? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
law said:
Why close down religious schools?

Is it because people that go to public schools feel disadvantaged because they can't compete with religious/ selective schools?

This post will probably cause problems... oh well!
Did you just read the thread title and that's it?

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
I'd like to point out though, that selective schools have little to do with this conversation, and many are actually public schools anyway.
all* (?)

law

HSC
N/A
On a different note from my previous post I find the whole "Does God exist?" debate pointless bordering on cruel. Though some posts do put forward some good points, others go a bit far. We're never going to know if God actually exists until we're dead so in the mean time you either have faith or you don't. I also have observed that there are a few other threads focused on the "Does God exist?" debate... why isn't there something about atheists and the credibility of them having no religious beliefs?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
law said:
On a different note from my previous post I find the whole "Does God exist?" debate pointless bordering on cruel. Though some posts do put forward some good points, others go a bit far. We're never going to know if God actually exists until we're dead so in the mean time you either have faith or you don't. I also have observed that there are a few other threads focused on the "Does God exist?" debate... why isn't there something about atheists and the credibility of them having no religious beliefs?
I would suggest that when we are dead we shan't know anything at all.

law

HSC
N/A
How do you know that? We may go somewhere and understand the meaning of life?

Anyway good point!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
law said:
Why close down religious schools?

Is it because people that go to public schools feel disadvantaged because they can't compete with religious/ selective schools?
No, probably because public schools are bitter about the fact that private institutions, with significant incomes on account of their high student fees (and old boy/girl networks), receive so much federal funding (say about 5 times as much per head). Even at a selective school (one of the supposed flagships of public education) that I went to there were pretty terrible facilities ---> a gym with leaky change rooms and a lack of fire escapes, dicey science labs which lacked fume cupboards/ventilation/decent equipment, etc...

law said:
Such debates also take place in that thread. E.g. I spent some time arguing for a certain form of agnosticism over a hardline atheism (though functionally this leaves me in a position which is very similar to that of the atheist, in so far as I lack the belief 'god exists). Feel free to join the debate.

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Are all selective schools public?
Well I'm not entirely sure, but I figured it would be that way since the selective school's test is a government run scheme ie public schools. Private schools are independently run, and have their own entrance tests (for year 7 though).

Then again, I could be wrong.

goony said:
Most selective schools are public, but there are still a few private ones around
examples?

jesuslovesyou

HSC
PRIVATE RELIGIOUS SCHOOLS are here to accommodate individuals certain needs, like prayer/who they worship/clothes, they are NOT, I REPEAT, NOT encouraging segregation

i concure. Being from a catholic school which, in spite of what people may think, has students who aren't catholic even those who aren't religious. in my school less than half, probably even less than a third of the entire student body is christian. here is my point:

religious schools are not as narrow minded (yeah they may have been 50 even 20 years ago but they aren't now) they promote multiculturalism and therefore a multifaith society. the modern day christian is not taught that anyone who isn't christian is going to hell they are taught to except people for who they are and what their belief system are, therefore religous schools, such as my own, are not promoting a secular society rather an accepting one.

to those who choose to dismiss religion and those with structured belief systems without having experienced it: you are making society secular as you choose not to accept.

HSC
Kfunk said:
No, probably because public schools are bitter about the fact that private institutions, with significant incomes on account of their high student fees (and old boy/girl networks), receive so much federal funding (say about 5 times as much per head).
But federal funding in education is so much less than state funding... and states more than make up for the funding discrepentcy, to the point where by far state schools recieve more money. The 'federal funding' thing is a red herring and I'm kinda disappointed to see you perpetuating it.

The fact is that if we got rid of private schools and replaced them all with public schools, that will probably actually place a greater burden on middle-income families. Let's say a private student gets (total state/federal) government funding of even 90% what a public student gets, that means to put 10 of them back in state schools we have to pay for a full extra student through taxes, as opposed to their parents taking the burden.

Perhaps some would be willing to continue paying without federal funding, but for others it may be breaking point... I think we have to consider this in our calculus of whether it's better or worse for the average family to allow private schools.

Yamaelf

HSC
Bleh...Get rid of them. I went to a public primary school which had scripture (religion) once a week. I went along with it until yr 2 when i made up MY OWN MIND without any help from parents or anyone else to get rid of it. So let the kids make up there own mind about doing the religion :) and if anyone says i didnt have the mental capacity to make up my mind about religion in yr 2, you can f off. Its kind of hard to believe when they keep saying stuff like moses basically has magic powers, jesus is still not dead, noah got every species...etc etc. even a 8 year old child can put 2 and 2 together and go wait a sec...that cant be true

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Fuck middle income families. We should place a greater burden on them.
Get the hell out. Both my parents went to university and have well paying jobs (my mother only just graduated so she isn't earning much yet actually). Just because your mother got pregnant at 15 and your dad has worked at a run-down fish and chip shop since he was 16, you think middle income families deserve to suffer?

My family's income means that I don't get anything from the government, but my parents don't have enough to give me the youth allowance equivalent. The unemployment rate in my area (Geelong, Victoria) is higher than average at 7.8% which means that jobs are scarce and I can't find employment, but the government gives my highschool dropout friend's family considerable financial assistance at my expense.

I used to be pro-dole until I turned 18 and realised the system was fucked. My friends get something like $120 a week and their families pay shit all tax whilst my family is getting monetarily raped so that my friend can sit on his ass and watch the Foxtel that my dad's hard work is paying for.

Last edited:
HSC
Realted material...

People whom are against the islamic school or w/e are fucking retards. If you don't want that, then petition to get all religeous schools banned, fuck - no sense in discriminating against one religion...

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Yes they should, and while we're at it why don't we 'shut down' the whole concept of Freedom of Religion?

Gay Captain

HSC
JaredR said:
Yes they should, and while we're at it why don't we 'shut down' the whole concept of Freedom of Religion?
Because adults need to be free to be religious

so we can be free to laugh at them

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Because the people who conform to religion will have nothing to distract them from the notion that they are going to die, that nothing can stop this, and there is no afterlife.
I hope these thoughts comfort you when you lose your mother, father, brother, sister or own child in the future.

Because at the end of the day, religion saves...not just in the sense of an after life, but it saves a person who is weak or struggling or coming to terms with the loss of a loved one (I know you may view this as ignorant or stupid of a person) but if it makes them feel comfortable then I don't see its harm.

HSC
JaredR said:
I hope these thoughts comfort you when you lose your mother, father, brother, sister or own child in the future.

Because at the end of the day, religion saves...not just in the sense of an after life, but it saves a person who is weak or struggling or coming to terms with the loss of a loved one (I know you may view this as ignorant or stupid of a person) but if it makes them feel comfortable then I don't see its harm.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that. When my grandmother died, I didn't have to mourn for her, because I knew that was the end for her, and instead I was able to be happy that she had lived a good healthy life, and didn't have to worry about her being condemned for eternity for something she did 50 years ago.

PS. Religious schools are free to operate on Sundays, Monday to Friday should be reserved for real education, not silly stories which encourage kids to do good not because of a love for their fellow humans, but simply out of fear of punishment.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Yeah, keep telling yourself that. When my grandmother died, I didn't have to mourn for her, because I knew that was the end for her, and instead I was able to be happy that she had lived a good healthy life, and didn't have to worry about her being condemned for eternity for something she did 50 years ago.
Say that when your mother dies.

On another note, most unruly adolescents who condemn (as if their opinions mean anything) religion have a really backwards view on what contemporary religious beliefs are. They make it seem as though if you don't follow the ten commandments the Pope is going to fly up on a dragon and strike you down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)