• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should teachers be able to have sexual relations with consenting students? (1 Viewer)

Should they?

• Total voters

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I don't believe it should be allowed.

But if it's after the student has finished schooling at the school the teacher is at then that's another story.

HSC
Yes, but only in a positive direction. I would argue that the teacher acquires a newfound interest in the sexual student while maintaining the same interest in all other students. In essence, the level of care in the classroom, if measured quantitatively, can only rise.

Your romantic and outdated view of the student-teacher relationship has no place in this scary time and place, comrade Iron! Teachers do act with self-interest, and it is absurd to suggest otherwise. Allowing sexual relationships simply allows a little more joy in the classroom, and with the proper checks and balances, the favour bias could be regulated by an outside source without detriment to the hawt relationship forged by the consenting, of age student and their busty, horny and taut-skinned teacher.

I do concede that their could be a risk of the teacher having a far too powerful position in any relationship, but I also suggest that most teenager's have enough guts and determination to stick it to their teachers in most cases, so this would no longer be an issue. Once again, with an external balance there would be no need to submit for grades, as exists in American university culture.

It would also decrease tension in the classroom, leading to increased concentration and elevated grades! This is self evident stfu.

This makes the consent issue re the 16y/o negligible imo. Far better policy to impose a blanket ban on all such relationships, even if we do agree that a particularly strong-willed student (rare) could theoretically achieve an appropriate power balance in the relationship
Your whole arugemnt is NON-EXISTENT! Of cousre teachers act with interest towards their students... but that doesnt mena that would want to screw them. It would be impossible for a student to succumb the teacher. The teacher always has authority. I highly doubt haveing sex would lead to decresed tension in the classroom. It would lead to an akward working enviornment for the teacher and the student...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
yes, or having consensual sex with a---heeeey
j-and I
run along children

sthcross.dude

HSC
Imo it shouldn't be a criminal offense.

I think its still unprofessional and teachers should face disciplinary action, including the possibility of dismissal.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Should parents sleeping with their children's friends be a criminal offense?

How about older sports coaches, and their teenage students?

I don't see the difference in terms of power imbalance/duty of care in these relationships, and what exists between student/teacher.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I think its still unprofessional and teachers should face disciplinary action, including the possibility of dismissal.
Yeah, leave it up to the institution. The employer can decide the rules.

Though I believe it is neither a moral, nor a disciplinary problem if teachers were to have relationships with students.

Checks and balances can easily be put in place to ensure against bias and favoritism. Plenty of my teachers had kids attending the school they were working at, and there were no issues.

In a few cases, the parents of students chose not to teach in a particular grade for a year, to avoid conflicts of interest.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Then you are BLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND

The teacher-student realtionship is v unique. 9-3, 5 days a week. These are ongoing, significant relationships that shouldnt be disturbed. The goal is single-minded - to maximize the student's education so they can more fully participate in society.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
what better way to infuse a consenting, of age teenager with knowledge, than a penis?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Perhaps we should ban students from holding any significant relationships, indeed frowing upon friendships becoming too close.

Lest such piddling distractions should compromise the single-minded goal of maximizing the student's education so they can more fully participate in society.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
A relationship with a teacher is a kind of education.

I think students could learn much from a loving relationship with an older mentor.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Srsly, I would like to go old school with a lot of you creeps. Medieval inquisition type stuff, in front of a burping, pissing crowd of mud-rakers

edit: lol internet

sharp_pencil

HSC
it all comes down to ethical views and the majority of the society sees it as "wrong" so that's why the law is in practice.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Watch out man - pretty sure a spider is sucking the nutrients outta ur mouldy banana

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)