Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (2 Viewers)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

carrotsss

HSC
I might vote no bc albo has been very vague about it
he hasn’t been vague about it, there’s plenty of information out there about it, it’s just that the information hasn’t been reaching people

the long and short of it is that they will get a diverse group of indigenous people from throughout Australia, and they will provide simple (non-binding) advice to the government when in order to assist with drafting effective legislation for closing the gap and improving the lives of indigenous people (you can look at the statistics if you want, the gap is pretty massive rn and there’s a reason it’s necessary)

carrotsss

HSC
what happens if the gubbernment ignores it and so the voice take it to the high courts or some crap and the voice gets more power and more say
that’s a myth, and virtually all constitutional lawyers agree it’s impossible - the press have been intentionally amplifying a few people grifting about it, but think about it this way - why would the government install a body which can take them to the high court? it’s a ridiculous myth

liamkk112

HSC
are u sure bro? do u hava a statement from them for this. it could happen bro
" may make representations to the Parliament and the Executive Government of the Commonwealth on matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples " ; representations, so if the government doesnt want to follow through with their "representations" it doesnt matter, they dont officialy vote on legislation

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
he hasn’t been vague about it, there’s plenty of information out there about it, it’s just that the information hasn’t been reaching people

the long and short of it is that they will get a diverse group of indigenous people from throughout Australia, and they will provide simple (non-binding) advice to the government when in order to assist with drafting effective legislation for closing the gap and improving the lives of indigenous people (you can look at the statistics if you want, the gap is pretty massive rn and there’s a reason it’s necessary)
my only concern is that how will we ensure that this "diverse group" is gonna represent voices from every tribe? there r so many ATSI groups and tribes all over Australia, some of them are bound to be left out

carrotsss

HSC
my only concern is that how will we ensure that this "diverse group" is gonna represent voices from every tribe? there r so many ATSI groups and tribes all over Australia, some of them are bound to be left out
they will choose people from throughout australia? like no matter what it’s better than nothing, and even if a couple small tribes get left out the idea is that they will still have people from a very wide range of areas/groups

liamkk112

HSC
yea but its still better than almost 0 representation, yes not every tribe would be included but the voice has clearly written in its design pricniples that there will be "specific remote representatives" that will aim to aid this issue

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
they will choose people from throughout australia? like no matter what it’s better than nothing, and even if a couple small tribes get left out the idea is that they will still have people from a very wide range of areas/groups
no ur right i understand, im only questioning what happens when different tribes have conflicting opinions about decisions that affect atsi rights, and their voice wont be heard if they're not in this committee

liamkk112

HSC
yea but its still better than almost 0 representation, yes not every tribe would be included but the voice has clearly written in its design pricniples that there will be "specific remote representatives" that will aim to aid this issue
they also will select representatives from each state and territory so at least there is that

year10studentpreparin

HSC
but they wont have a voice from people like mundine and other aboriginals just because they disagreed with the vote

year10studentpreparin

HSC
" may make representations to the Parliament and the Executive Government of the Commonwealth on matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples " ; representations, so if the government doesnt want to follow through with their "representations" it doesnt matter, they dont officialy vote on legislation
and then maybe if they dont follow the representations there will be reparations from the government from society and the high court and this could potentially descend us to chaos and division which is what Mundine was talking about

year10studentpreparin

HSC
that’s a myth, and virtually all constitutional lawyers agree it’s impossible - the press have been intentionally amplifying a few people grifting about it, but think about it this way - why would the government install a body which can take them to the high court? it’s a ridiculous myth
ok thanks ill check more about that. Mundine tho bro

carrotsss

HSC
but they wont have a voice from people like mundine and other aboriginals just because they disagreed with the vote
over 80% of aboriginals supported the voice, just because mundine’s grifting got so much airtime doesn’t mean there’s actually a significant portion or aboriginal people like him

carrotsss

HSC
and then maybe if they dont follow the representations there will be reparations from the government from society and the high court and this could potentially descend us to chaos and division which is what Mundine was talking about
society - people barely support the voice, do you really think they’d give “reparations” to the government if it didn’t follow the voice’s advice. people don’t care that much about indigenous affairs
high court - as I’ve said virtually all constitutional lawyers agree that won’t be possible. you can take something to the high court if it breaks a law, “representations” is pretty damn clear language that it’s not binding

Rattlehead15

HSC
unsw changed their social media profile pictures (eg linkedin) to yes. honestly very conniving and unprofessional of them, considering most of their student body are generational immigrants/international students who have little to no stakes in this issue. its so obvious that its the white guilt from atilla brungs and the board of directors
Exactly my take. Also there is an argument to be made about a 99% unrelated population voting for a decision about a 1% minority. Seems like the fate of Aboriginals is always out of their hands.

carrotsss

HSC
no ur right i understand, im only questioning what happens when different tribes have conflicting opinions about decisions that affect atsi rights, and their voice wont be heard if they're not in this committee
at the end of the day it’s impossible to cover literally everyone, but it’s far better to hear most voices than no voices at all

year10studentpreparin

HSC
society - people barely support the voice, do you really think they’d give “reparations” to the government if it didn’t follow the voice’s advice. people don’t care that much about indigenous affairs
high court - as I’ve said virtually all constitutional lawyers agree that won’t be possible. you can take something to the high court if it breaks a law, “representations” is pretty damn clear language that it’s not binding
hmm ok u got a point. but what about the division the no campaigners are talking about. I can see how it may divide the country

Rattlehead15

HSC
hmm ok u got a point. but what about the division the no campaigners are talking about. I can see how it may divide the country
I just want equality between every person, every person should have equal opportunities. Propping up people based on the colour of their skin is not equality. (which is how I see it as divisive)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)