Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (1 Viewer)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

carrotsss

HSC
hmm ok u got a point. but what about the division the no campaigners are talking about. I can see how it may divide the country
dividing the country doesn’t really make sense, the country isn’t gonna be split in half just because some advisory body suggests we bring more doctors to some remote communities

carrotsss

HSC
I just want equality between every person, every person should have equal opportunities. Propping up people based on the colour of their skin is not equality. (which is how I see it as divisive)
the point isn’t the prop them up, the point is to fix some of the problems we’ve created for them and their terrible health and educational outcomes. in my opinions a 40 year difference in life expectancy compared to some indigenous communities is much more important than ideological questions about ‘equality’ of voices

year10studentpreparin

HSC
dividing the country doesn’t really make sense, the country isn’t gonna be split in half just because some advisory body suggests we bring more doctors to some remote communities
I think everybody agrees with bringing more doctors specifically and I think we are already doing that its just that there isnt enough funding, its just the voice can comment on pretty much EVERYTHING because it is so vague

Rattlehead15

HSC
the point isn’t the prop them up, the point is to fix some of the problems we’ve created for them and their terrible health and educational outcomes. in my opinions a 40 year difference in life expectancy compared to some indigenous communities is much more important than ideological questions about ‘equality’ of voices
I didn't do anything to any Aboriginal and I don't owe them anything. Sure, they're disadvantaged but that's none of our fault for what some random English people did 300 years ago. Health and educational outcomes is understandable due to the disproportional amount of crime and dropping out of high school they do. Again, this could be a result of intergenerational trauma. Again, that is not any of our fault, most of us aren't even more than 2nd generation Australians including myself.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I didn't do anything to any Aboriginal and I don't owe them anything. Sure, they're disadvantaged but that's none of our fault for what some random English people did 300 years ago. Health and educational outcomes is understandable due to the disproportional amount of crime and dropping out of high school they do. Again, this could be a result of intergenerational trauma. Again, that is not any of our fault, most of us aren't even more than 2nd generation Australians including myself.
true

carrotsss

HSC
I think everybody agrees with bringing more doctors specifically and I think we are already doing that its just that there isnt enough funding, its just the voice can comment on pretty much EVERYTHING because it is so vague
it can only comment on matters that are specifically affecting indigenous people, and at the end of the day if you’re worried that it’ll make comments about something controversial - people can make comments about controversial topics anyway because we live in a democracy, this really isn’t changing anything? debate can and will occur because of it but that’s a good thing, we live in a democracy not a dictatorship

year10studentpreparin

HSC
it can only comment on matters that are specifically affecting indigenous people, and at the end of the day if you’re worried that it’ll make comments about something controversial - people can make comments about controversial topics anyway because we live in a democracy, this really isn’t changing anything? debate can and will occur because of it but that’s a good thing, we live in a democracy not a dictatorship
but why do they need a body to themselves when its already a democracy and we can talk or bring up issues about anything and that we already have aboriginal representation in parliament which most importantly all have DIFFERENT opinions rather than just one body of indigenous people who legit could just all be part of labour or the greens or all could be 1% aboriginal and grow up rich to speak on behalf of the aboriginals who are suffering?

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
the voice will allow a non-elected group, and a minority, to have influence on the decisions of our country, without it being a true representation of the majority. Its constitutionally separating Australia by race, which is a step backwards if you ask me. the lack of clarity is also a concern

carrotsss

HSC
these are Australian people who are facing extreme disadvantage and it’s can be helped. if you purely want to set aside any remorse for the fact that we are living on their land, it’s the same logic by which we help poor people, or people with disabilities, or virtually any other disabilities. we don’t help them because we have to, we help them because it’s good for society if they do better, and because we care about them as fellow Australians.

Rattlehead15

HSC
these are Australian people who are facing extreme disadvantage and it’s can be helped. if you purely want to set aside any remorse for the fact that we are living on their land, it’s the same logic by which we help poor people, or people with disabilities, or virtually any other disabilities. we don’t help them because we have to, we help them because it’s good for society if they do better, and because we care about them as fellow Australians.
I agree with this. We are living on their land and I do feel bad for them. But I was born on this land too, just as they were. I've lived on this land for just as long as any Aboriginal my age. And there are plenty of poor communities that aren't Aboriginal. But we would never vote for a voice for poor white people.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I agree with this. We are living on their land and I do feel bad for them. But I was born on this land too, just as they were. I've lived on this land for just as long as any Aboriginal my age. And there are plenty of poor communities that aren't Aboriginal. But we would never vote for a voice for poor white people.
😿sad man.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I feel the same, I feel very sorry for Australian Aboriginals but also I am just sorry for all communities in Australia who are suffering because we are all Aussie and race shouldn't separate us. I just wish this referendum didnt happen so the money could help fund aussies that need it which obviously include aboriginal communities but not just them

carrotsss

HSC
the voice will allow a non-elected group, and a minority, to have influence on the decisions of our country, without it being a true representation of the majority. Its constitutionally separating Australia by race, which is a step backwards if you ask me. the lack of clarity is also a concern
advisory bodies are a standard part of governments - we get economists to advise on matters of the economy because they are experts in that field, and in that same vein we will get indigenous people to advise on matters of indigenous affairs because they are inherently experts on that field. it’s not about ambiguous ideas of ‘separation’, it’s about having a real impact on the lives of real people.

the government has given plenty of clarity in every area necessary, if there’s any areas where you need clarity then you can ask and I’m almost certain I’ll have answers

carrotsss

HSC
aboriginal people experience a disproportionate amount amount of disadvantage, and, unlike with white people where we do know how to improve their situation, indigenous people have a unique culture and mindset and so we can’t just apply the same policies as the ones known the help white people, and the government (both liberal and labor) have shown time and time again that they can’t truly understand and solve indigenous peoples’ problems in the same manner - this is why the Uluru statement from the heart (ie from indigenous people themselves) suggested this as a way to get more meaningful advice on the subject and make a bigger difference.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
advisory bodies are a standard part of governments - we get economists to advise on matters of the economy because they are experts in that field, and in that same vein we will get indigenous people to advise on matters of indigenous affairs because they are inherently experts on that field. it’s not about ambiguous ideas of ‘separation’, it’s about having a real impact on the lives of real people.

the government has given plenty of clarity in every area necessary, if there’s any areas where you need clarity then you can ask and I’m almost certain I’ll have answers
Yeah but the economy affects us all no matter what race or ethnicity u come from which is why its there and why they advise

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah but the economy affects us all no matter what race or ethnicity u come from which is why its there and why they advise
what? the economy affects people and indigenous affairs affect people, I don’t really get your point. just because a group has a different race/ethnicity doesn’t mean their problems don’t matter

year10studentpreparin

HSC
aboriginal people experience a disproportionate amount amount of disadvantage, and, unlike with white people where we do know how to improve their situation, indigenous people have a unique culture and mindset and so we can’t just apply the same policies as the ones known the help white people, and the government (both liberal and labor) have shown time and time again that they can’t truly understand and solve indigenous peoples’ problems in the same manner - this is why the Uluru statement from the heart (ie from indigenous people themselves) suggested this as a way to get more meaningful advice on the subject and make a bigger difference.
so whats next, we know human nature is that they will just ask for more money and more handouts, and governments will be pressured to comply in order that they can keep votes as stuff like this can be leveraged politcally e.g if a government says no a lot of outrage will be sparked etc and then they will be voted out and nobody wants to be voted out

I find it funny how we separate aboriginals to be some sort of special race that cant learn the same way as we do even tho we are all human and know that education would help everybody and help lift everybody out of poverty.
but apparently this doesnt apply to aboriginals?
there is a large alcohol abuse problem in aboriginals who in average are poorer as well as there is larger rate of alcohol abuse in poorer communities full of white people etc.... I dont think aboriginals are some special race of people who deseve more care I just believe we are equal

carrotsss

HSC
but why do they need a body to themselves when its already a democracy and we can talk or bring up issues about anything and that we already have aboriginal representation in parliament which most importantly all have DIFFERENT opinions rather than just one body of indigenous people who legit could just all be part of labour or the greens or all could be 1% aboriginal and grow up rich to speak on behalf of the aboriginals who are suffering?
1% of the parliament being indigenous people who grew up in cities and have little understanding of the real issues affecting remote communities isn’t enough, and hasn’t worked, the stats don’t lie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)