Should u really do your major work based on what you're doing in Adv/Ext 1? (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
In Ext 1 we're doing crime fiction but for my major work I'm planning to do a political satire on the current Australian govt in the form of a playscript, with the aim of exposing the follies and flaws of those in power, our politicians who are more interested in political point-scoring than in running the country. My conceptual idea is aimed at an inversion of power of those in govt for the purpose of satire.

Any thoughts, comment and feedback on whether you should really do a major work based on what you're doing in Adv/Ext 1 would be greatly appreciated

philphie

Banned
HSC
that is the rule. when you have your viva voce they will ask you how this relates to your work in adv/ext 1

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, you must have some sort of obvious link to what you have done in Advanced or Extension 1 English. For me, I am linking my work to the EX1 work I did last year on Modernism, specifically stream-of-consciousness.

astroe

HSC
Yeah, it's one of the requirements to have your work related to/influenced by the Advanced/Ext 1 course.

But seeing English is abstract, you can just twist the topics to your advantage. i.e you could say that what the politicians engage in is a "crime", although not widely seen as such - something like that.

It sounds silly but it makes sense for the Board of Studies to mandate this.
At the end of the day, the students would make excellent works and they can say "It's because of our awesome syllabus and topics that these kids were influenced to write such masterpieces, go us!"

vanitysnare

HSC
Yeah. Say you do Crime Fiction in extension one and Belonging in Adv. The cross-over may be as simple as a style in extension 1 or a theme in adv.

I'm also basing my MW on a prelim unit about Truth and Reality.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
It's highly recommended you do link your major work with advanced/extension English. It shows the markers that you're able to extend upon issues you've already studied, and come to more complex (and less superficial) realizations about that particular topic or issue.

My major work was an essay about postmodern science fiction television - artificial intelligence - with a focus on Battlestar Galactica and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I linked my major work to both Extension 1 English (I extended upon the skills learnt when assessing genre conventions of crime fiction in order to research and analyse science fiction) and English Advanced (Shelley's Frankenstein novel inspired my thesis; why the eloquence of Frankenstein's monster is embodied in contemporary portrayals of artificial intelligence and why artificial intelligence is a metaphor for the postmodern human condition).

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Thanks for the comments so far everyone :) and I've been prompted to do a bit more thinking on what concept I should explore in my major work that's related to what we're doing in Adv and Ext, with little luck. :( I'm not that keen on the Adv Eng course and I have no desire to do anything related to conflicting perspectives (>< dislike) or Belonging, and as for Crime Fiction, well it doesn't prepare us nearly as well for Ext 2 as Postmodernism or Life Writing for instance.

But my main point is that I've gone from idea to idea, and I'm now asking the question whether we can do a major work based on Preliminary Adv and Ext topics- I thought that the notion of "Coming of Age" would be a good concept to explore, cause it is interrelated to the idea of "physical or spiritual journeys, and as for Ext 1, I've also thought about doing a story about the idea of self-determination and the human spirit triumphing over adversity, in a dystopian context. Once again, all comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
If you look in the 2009 bos showcase, one of the users did a critical analysis on Romanticism, which was his ext 1 elective. It was so useful I printed it off for study- and he did well, i think he got 46 or something. There was a definite, almost exaggerated link between ext 1 and ext 2 there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)