Should women be allowed to serve in the infantry? (2 Viewers)

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Bullshit. That is such bullshit. You don't need to be a psychopath to be on the front lines; in fact in psychological tests I think they do their best to weed that kind of thing out, because that is just as dangerous for your team mates as for the enemy.

Men's capacity towards rage and disregard for their safety is likely to make them LESS efficient killers, not more. Hence all the years of training to follow orders and be a team member.

Far out, you ARE sexist, and you have no idea what you're on about.
sources plz

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
US marines are allowed, the US armed forces are the only military forces where women are allowed in ~ 92% of militaristic areas, only not allowed to command armoured convoys, aircraft and nave vessels.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
"We have the most accurate artillery in the world, it is guaranteed to hit the ground."

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
US marines are allowed, the US armed forces are the only military forces where women are allowed in ~ 92% of militaristic areas, only not allowed to command armoured convoys, aircraft and nave vessels.
Wrong. They can be pillots and command naval vessels. Pretty much all they can't do is infantry and special forces, armour and artillery.

Edit: Oh, also not on submarines because there isnt enough room for separate male and female dorms and facilities.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And I don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the Australian navy, women can't do clearance diving. I'm not sure there is a reason that makes a whole lot of sense, except for the danger involved - women are actually better suited to deep-sea work than men, as our higher body fat percentage allows us to handle the pressure much better.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Science.

Also common sense. Hence why I said "I think", not "IT IS THIS WAY".
lol

i think it is common sense that for you to be an effective frontline soldier you would have to be a pyschopath.

i think that Men's capacity towards rage and disregard for their safety is likely to make them MORE efficient killers, not less. Hence all the years of training to follow orders and be a team member.

you have no idea what you're on about

also im pretty sure someone posted the research showing that a %age of frontline soldiers , SAS etc, were infact psychopaths and that is why they are so well suited to the job. we dont just make this up for the fun of it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
lol

i think it is common sense that for you to be an effective frontline soldier you would have to be a pyschopath.

i think that Men's capacity towards rage and disregard for their safety is likely to make them MORE efficient killers, not less. Hence all the years of training to follow orders and be a team member.

you have no idea what you're on about

also im pretty sure someone posted the research showing that a %age of frontline soldiers , SAS etc, were infact psychopaths and that is why they are so well suited to the job. we dont just make this up for the fun of it.
There's a difference between the necessary emotional distance and being a psychopath.

Amazon.com: On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society (9780316330114): Dave Grossman: Books
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kcmhr/information/publications/articles/Killing_JCH.pdf
etc.

And yeah, I don't make this shit up for the fun of it either, y'know. Shock, I may actually have a vague idea about what I'm talking about.

spyro14

HSC
There's a difference between the necessary emotional distance and being a psychopath.

Amazon.com: On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society (9780316330114): Dave Grossman: Books
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kcmhr/information/publications/articles/Killing_JCH.pdf
etc.

And yeah, I don't make this shit up for the fun of it either, y'know. Shock, I may actually have a vague idea about what I'm talking about.
"Theodore Nadelson, a psychiatrist who treated US ex-servicemen at the
Boston Veterans Administration Hospital.​
7 Based on the testimony of 24
anonymized cases, Nadelson concluded that true killers in Vietnam were ‘ordinary men’ before enlistment."

So then maybe it's the same for women?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
And I don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the Australian navy, women can't do clearance diving. I'm not sure there is a reason that makes a whole lot of sense, except for the danger involved - women are actually better suited to deep-sea work than men, as our higher body fat percentage allows us to handle the pressure much better.
yeah but women also have less lung capacity and use oxygen less efficiently.

Edit: And more body fat actually makes it harder to sink.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
yeah but women also have less lung capacity and use oxygen less efficiently.

Edit: And more body fat actually makes it harder to sink.
True about the lung capacity, but that becomes less of a problem with training. Physical ability to handle depth and pressure, however, you can't really train for.

And re: buoyancy - that's why divers are heavily weighted.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
True about the lung capacity, but that becomes less of a problem with training. Physical ability to handle depth and pressure, however, you can't really train for.

And re: buoyancy - that's why divers are heavily weighted.
Mmmm only to an extent, its a fact that men have bigger lungs and more red blood cells.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Mmmm only to an extent, its a fact that men have bigger lungs and more red blood cells.
Yep. That, however, is not necessarily an issue when diving, as it's not hugely exertive (at least not in comparison to, say boot camp haha). And to a certain extent, as I mentioned with breathing, training can overcome shortcomings with lung capacity (which can actually be a hindrance when using tanks, as you run out of air faster). When you're dealing with trimixes where the oxygen content can be around 1%, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Bullshit. That is such bullshit. You don't need to be a psychopath to be on the front lines; in fact in psychological tests I think they do their best to weed that kind of thing out, because that is just as dangerous for your team mates as for the enemy.

Men's capacity towards rage and disregard for their safety is likely to make them LESS efficient killers, not more. Hence all the years of training to follow orders and be a team member.

Far out, you ARE sexist, and you have no idea what you're on about.
I am sorry, but i think you have a poor understanding of what a psychopath is and what the army select for. A psychopath isnt what mainstream think they are, very few of them actually kill anyone at all or go on crime sprees, its a clinical diagnosis for a set of abnormal personality traits and behaviour. Usually they are categorised as having little regard for their own safety, have no empathy and are more impulsive. This makes them not only better, cold calculated killers [exactly what you want] but they also excell in management positions in business, team management etc.

About who the army select for, I cant show you any proof about this, but for a while i was looking at joining the army as a psychologist and i got pretty far along before i pulled out[basically the guys who give assessments to potential recruits] and I know they dont select against it. Take that however you want because i have nothing to back it up, but the high numbers of people in the defence forces with psychopathic traits seem to support me.

BTW how am i sexist? i said sure let them try out, but that its a rare female indeed who would actually succeed. Thats not sexism, thats just reality.

Garygaz

HSC
Men on average are faster, stronger, better shooters, have more endurance and are the dominant gender. This is all fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)