• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sick for exams, what happens? (2 Viewers)

thommy

HSC
N/A
Guys, I'm freaking out. I was feeling really sick last night, and I had my last exams today. I did go, because I wanted to be over and done with for the term, but because I felt so sick, I think I might have not done well. So far I'm on 80% rougly for each subject. Do they take my sickness into account when calculating my university admission index?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Unless you're handicapped to a degree (ie. you have arthiritis etc.) then no, they won't take sickness into account.

If you're fit to go to school, then you're fit to do the exam. A cold =/= sickness.

Evilo

HSC
you have to get a doctors certificate for the day of the exam (they probably wont backdate them). Photocopy it, and give it to the exam supervisors/year masters to submit with an application for special consideration.

EDIT - if its something piss weak like a cold etc, then no you won't get anything. tough luck, i had much worse happen to me on the hsc and i didnt even bother getting a doc's certificate. harden up :)

Last edited:

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Why didnt you get a doctors cert, call the school, and then do them tomorrow?

thommy

HSC
N/A
I do have a doctor's certificate. Should I just give this to the subject co-ordinator?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
I do have a doctor's certificate. Should I just give this to the subject co-ordinator?
well yeah, but you already sat the exams, so whats the point?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Doctor told me to get a flu shot or something to make sure i dont get sick nearing to the HSC

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
well yeah, but you already sat the exams, so whats the point?
So that if I bombed out, and I go well in my other tasks for the subject (ie, the other one I've already done, Trials, external, and other internal one nex term), they'll see that I was disadvantaged?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
So that if I bombed out, and I go well in my other tasks for the subject (ie, the other one I've already done, Trials, external, and other internal one nex term), they'll see that I was disadvantaged?
nah man, unforunitly it doesn't work like that.
Heaps of kids bomb out in a single exam.
But i see what you mean.

What you should've done was presented them a DC saying you couldnt sit it today, and then gone tomorrow ( hopefully if your better ) and done the exam.

Just focus on the future, and you know what to do next time:uhhuh:

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
nah man, unforunitly it doesn't work like that.
Heaps of kids bomb out in a single exam.
But i see what you mean.

What you should've done was presented them a DC saying you couldnt sit it today, and then gone tomorrow ( hopefully if your better ) and done the exam.

Just focus on the future, and you know what to do next time:uhhuh:
I doubt tomorow would make much difference, I thave a virus, and wil probably have it for a week, as I've had it before, and it lasts a week. The thing is though, if I did bomb out(I stress if) it's not my fault, it's being sick. I'll ask the director of studies and if he says that it doesn't matter that I have doctor's certificate, well let's just say that I won't take it lying down.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
I doubt tomorow would make much difference, I thave a virus, and wil probably have it for a week, as I've had it before, and it lasts a week. The thing is though, if I did bomb out(I stress if) it's not my fault, it's being sick. I'll ask the director of studies and if he says that it doesn't matter that I have doctor's certificate, well let's just say that I won't take it lying down.
Thats fair enough, but you won't have a strong enough argument.

You were sick BUT you still did the exam, you had a doctors cert so you could've chosen not to.

I would definitly argue, but it will be hard to win.
All the best!

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Thats fair enough, but you won't have a strong enough argument.

You were sick BUT you still did the exam, you had a doctors cert so you could've chosen not to.

I would definitly argue, but it will be hard to win.
All the best!
Thanks for your support.

The reason why I did it was because my only other chance would be tomorrow, and I wouldn't be better by then anyway. I mean, I got 80% in my first assessment, and if I get similar results in the oher assessments, then surely they would have to look at it and see why? I mean, do they have common sense? Btw, the subject is economics, though that's probably irrelevant.

Thanks again.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
Thanks for your support.

The reason why I did it was because my only other chance would be tomorrow, and I wouldn't be better by then anyway. I mean, I got 80% in my first assessment, and if I get similar results in the oher assessments, then surely they would have to look at it and see why? I mean, do they have common sense? Btw, the subject is economics, though that's probably irrelevant.

Thanks again.
Yeah, well they might see, or they might so you wernt prepared.
It might even come down to how much they like you.

They will look at is as you say, but in the past no one has been able to do so..

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Yeah, well they might see, or they might so you wernt prepared.
It might even come down to how much they like you.

They will look at is as you say, but in the past no one has been able to do so..
Sorry, able to do what?

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
able to get a positive outcome.

ie. have marks pushed up, get to re do test ect.
How do you know this? That's really unfair in my opinion.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
How do you know this? That's really unfair in my opinion.

Not really, because they will argue you still made the choice to go.
Because you had the DC.

Its tough man.

thommy

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Not really, because they will argue you still made the choice to go.
Because you had the DC.

Its tough man.
I would accept that if the exam was last week, in wich time I should recover to do it, say, today or tomorrow. The thing is, however, that I contracted this virus yesterday, and my only other chance of doing the exam would be tomorrow, by which time I still won't be better, seeing it's all of one day.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thommy said:
I would accept that if the exam was last week, in wich time I should recover to do it, say, today or tomorrow. The thing is, however, that I contracted this virus yesterday, and my only other chance of doing the exam would be tomorrow, by which time I still won't be better, seeing it's all of one day.
But if u had've showed the DC, you could have done it next term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)