Sin taxes (1 Viewer)

aussie-boy

HSC
lol

b) Yes they fucking are. Ever been to Civic at night?
George St + the Cross are much worse; yet drinks are 4* as expensive

Higher drink prices =/= less alcohol related shit to deal with

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
i'm a little torn over the plain packaging plan. part of me thinks it's a good idea if it cuts smoking and all that shit, but a bigger part of me thinks that the nanny state has gone way too far.

hay-leeeee

HSC
i don't think the gov. should be allowed to enforce plain packaging. i hope the tobacco industry wins their case because the government is condemning a certain social group who have done nothing wrong. smokers are being crucified with ridiculous taxes for participating in something that is completely legal.

also interesting to note that (as far as i'm aware) the gov. decided not to inform us of what happened in canada when they brought in the same rules. canada's blackmarket for cigarettes was at 6%, however after the laws were brought in it escalated to 60%.

australia's blackmarket for cigarettes is currently at 10%.. lets just wait and see how high it goes.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I think it's a bullshit tax grab because the excise already covers the direct healthcare costs of smoking. If the motive was health related they would make nicotine replacement therapies PBS subsidised. If everyone were to quit smoking the government would lose around $10bn p.a. IIRC. Obviously they don't want this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)