Site Redesign Competition ($300 Prize!) (1 Viewer)

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
In the run up to the 10th anniversary of BOS we are doing a design revamp of the Bored of Studies website.

We want to give you, the members and users of the website, a real opportunity to provide your input into this process. It is you after all that use the site and are best placed to know what you want from it.

This competition is a chance for you to contribute to securing BOS for future generations of students so that they may continue to enjoy the assistance and help provided by the site.

To begin we will be doing a redesign of the site's homepage (www.boredofstudies.org). That design will also be used to implement a consistent design across the site.

____

We are looking for your homepage design ideas, suggestions or mockups. You don't need to make a fully functional website, we're just looking for ideas at this stage.

So sketch out your thoughts or fire up photoshop and come up with a mockup.

Written suggestions are also welcome as well as any input or idea no matter how small. All contributions will count as a submission. You can make as many submissions as you want and this may increase your chances.

The winner will be the person who overall across their submissions has come up with the best idea or ideas. They will win a $300 cash prize via paypal.

A few things to keep in mind:
- We want a clean, modern, professional looking site with the design emphasis being on usability. We don't need any flash or bling. Just a practical design where the range of services we provide are easy to navigate, find and access. You may want to take time looking at the existing home page to see the range of services on offer (www.boredofstudies.org)
- We also want to implement a consistent, integrated design across the entire site. The same header, navbar, search and login boxes will be used across the site. These elements will thus need to be appropriate for the forum as well as the rest of the site.
- A leaderboard ad needs to be in the header along with 1 or 2 other ads elsewhere on the page.

Please post your submissions here by Sunday February 19, 2012. Submissions can also be emailed to design@boredofstudies.org if you don't want them in the public domain.

Looking forward to your ideas!

By making a submission to this competition you give permission for boredofstudies to use submitted ideas in its site redesign without further compensation.

kfnmpah

HSC
um no dont do that. inb4 a million threads complaining about the new bos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Examine

same
HSC
I shall try make one. Then if it becomes successful everybody will say it's shit then infinite neg reps 4 me. gr9.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If I scan something I scribbled in lead pencil on a notebook piece of paper and send it to you, but with no colour indications... would that be fine?

Or do you want like colour schemes as well.

kfnmpah

HSC
if it's not pink i will cause deep seeded emotional harm to whoever designs the new, not pink, site

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
If I scan something I scribbled in lead pencil on a notebook piece of paper and send it to you, but with no colour indications... would that be fine?

Or do you want like colour schemes as well.
That would be fine. All contributions welcome.

I shall try make one. Then if it becomes successful everybody will say it's shit then infinite neg reps 4 me. gr9.
Feel free to send your ideas to design@boredofstudies.org

um no dont do that. inb4 a million threads complaining about the new bos.
The existing homepage is 7 years old. It is out of date and no longer meets our needs. We don't envisage any changes to the forum except for the header/navbar.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Is it okay if I can't fit everything into my design, because I did really set out the size and I don't want to have to start all over to re-do the sizing, will this effect my chances?

EDIT: But you clearly get the idea of my design.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Okay guys this is my entry, I did this in around 2 hours? but taking a lot of of on and off's breaks etc, and I was kind of scared since I couldn't fit everything but I tried to give off the general idea of the design I hope this doesn't hinder my chances, it shouldn't right? Also for the advertisements you have the main header one and would have 2 below the page or you would either have 2 below everything you would have on the main page or you have have them on the 2 sides which are left blank which can give plentiful advertising space which is just isn't used on the current one or it can be left free. I mainly tried to go for a sleek, crisp, simple look with the black, blue grey main colours and the very light white pinkish text for buttons yeah I couldn't fit the all in but if this is used re-sizing isn't really a problem but you can see what the buttons are like

For the user home I thought it would be nice to have it there instead of the side, which is kind of a waste of space so having it just under the navigation menu makes it quick and easy to access and saves space unlike the one on the main page also if you were to not be a member it would be having the register/login and with a warm welcome to catch users attention making it easier for them and more tempted to sign up to the forums.

I really hope everyone likes my design and hope its aesthetically pleasing if anyone has any constructive criticism please post as I would love to improve my skills I haven't been on photoshop for a year or so so I just went simple. Good luck to everyone else in the competition I hope this may be the winner and help BoS Re-Design the forums!

RANK 1

HSC
NO, bos is blue and white and it shall remain blue and white. or though we could have bos skins, y/n.

also bos chat would be cool, kinda like fb chat but with less aids

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
NO, bos is blue and white and it shall remain blue and white. or though we could have bos skins, y/n.

also bos chat would be cool, kinda like fb chat but with less aids
terrible idea

it'd take away from the forum like tinycat does to NS

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
Is it okay if I can't fit everything into my design, because I did really set out the size and I don't want to have to start all over to re-do the sizing, will this effect my chances?

EDIT: But you clearly get the idea of my design.
It doesn't need to be a work of art (Though great if it is!). We're mainly interested in the ideas. As long as it's clear what you're trying to suggest. Even a written contribution is fine.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
It doesn't need to be a work of art (Though great if it is!). We're mainly interested in the ideas. As long as it's clear what you're trying to suggest. Even a written contribution is fine.
Thanks for the reply I posted up my design just a few posts up hope you have a good look! I will submit more later!

zombies

HSC
Too bad I don't have Photoshop on this computer.. maybe I'll enter later.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Photoshop? Geez, I'm drawing my design on some scrap paper and then scanning it and emailing it.

No need to go overboard...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)