• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Slapfest hits Melbourne's elite schools (1 Viewer)

just1of4

Professional HYD lover
HSC
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=374825

A new "slap attack" fad at elite private schools is driving girls to get professional help over cruel bullying.
Girls who are not promiscuous or are perceived to be a threat to group leaders are hit on Slapfest Days, psychologists have told News Ltd newspapers.

A Slapfest Day involves a group of girls who target a student and repeatedly slap her behind teachers' backs.
Psychologist Dr John Cheetham said he had treated victims from Melbourne's private schools.

"It's devious, sneaky, vicious and it's humiliating for its victim," he said. "The victim lives in fear."
Dr Cheetham said there was peer pressure to have casual relationships with boys from nearby schools.
"In one case, the girl was targeted because she wasn't sleeping around," Dr Cheetham said.
The bullies slap victims on the arms, back or legs and the attacks happen at lockers or as they walk into classrooms.
Psychologist Jennifer Garth said Slapfest Day victims endured a terrifying school environment.
"It would certainly have an effect on their self-esteem and would lead to an immense amount of anxiety and possibly depression," she said.
Another psychologist - who did not want be named - has counselled victims from Loreto Mandeville Hall in Toorak and Firbank Grammar School in Brighton.

But Loreto Mandeville Hall principal Dr Susan Stevens rejected suggestions that Slapfest Days occurred at the Toorak school, adding they had tough policies on bullying.

--------------------------------------

oh gosh. wow that actually happens? its like a scene out of mean girls. as if you do that!!!

Last edited:

just1of4

Professional HYD lover
HSC
i'm serious. not making this stuff up, i just saw it on ninemsn and i thought it was freaking horrendous. i mean who wants to go to a school where you pay like
$16,000 a year for THAT.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
just1of4 said:
But Loreto Mandeville Hall principal Dr Susan Stevens rejected suggestions that Slapfest Days occurred at the Toorak school, adding they had tough policies on bullying.
that's all the principal said of the matter? sounds like a shit principal. the least she could have said is that she was investigating it further, wanted take further action etc. i'll give her the benefit of the doubt here, but those words make it sound as if she's more concerned with the image of her school rather than the well being of her students.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
that's all the principal said of the matter? sounds like a shit principal. the least she could have said is that she was investigating it further, wanted take further action etc. i'll give her the benefit of the doubt here, but those words make it sound as if she's more concerned with the image of her school rather than the well being of her students.
And you can bet that the vicitmsation is twice as common at her school than at any other. I went to a primary school that flat-out denied the existence of bullying by its students; the principal denied that bullying ever could be a problem, instead preferring to try and pin students' problems on bad parenting. That, in and of itself, was victimisation. Heck, the problems I saw with bullying in primary school was the main reason I wanted to become a teacher.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
OH NOES NOT SLAPPINGS ON THE ARMS!!!!
Meh, say what you want. I was a little guy in the early years of high school and this bigger guy who was in the IM class (slow learners class), who was about ten times the size of me (and looked like a sultana, btw) used to slap me on the back of the head every day while waiting for the bus, until he left the school a year or so later. It didn't hurt or anything like that, but it did create a lot of fear on my part that he'd do something even worse, and that alone prevented me from seeing a teacher about it. So pretty much every day I'd either endure it, or try to keep away from him out of fear. As I said, it didn't really hurt physically but it was a bit of a torment from a psychological standpoint.

Yeah, so it's probably not as shallow as you think, waf. :rolleyes:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I thought they slapped each other across the face :\

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Or maybe it's waf who's being shallow ...
That's what I meant, lol, I probably just worded it badly. :uhhuh:

And yeah, stopping what happened to me was one of the major reasons why I decided I wanted to be a teacher. :hammer:

Future Professor Snape on his way, except I'll be unpleasant to the bullies. :rofl:

MaNiElla said:
I thought they slapped each other across the face :\
Same. :apig:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:

And yeah, stopping what happened to me was one of the major reasons why I decided I wanted to be a teacher. :hammer:

Future Professor Snape on his way, except I'll be unpleasant to the bullies. :rofl:

Oh yeah, did you change your major?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:

Yeah, but I wised up to the fact that I'd be a terrible teacher. See, I'd fight fire with fire and victimise the bullies with their own tactics. Which would get me fired. I'd be this kind of Snape-meets-House teacher.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
MaNiElla said:
Oh yeah, did you change your major?
No, but I did change my degree and added another to it. The science part stays the same (chem/bio), but I also do English/Phil. :D

ObjectsInSpace said:
Yeah, but I wised up to the fact that I'd be a terrible teacher. See, I'd fight fire with fire and victimise the bullies with their own tactics. Which would get me fired. I'd be this kind of Snape-meets-House teacher.
lol. I think pretty much every teacher would be tempted to do that to certain students.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
No, but I did change my degree and added another to it. The science part stays the same (chem/bio), but I also do English/Phil. :D

lol. I think pretty much every teacher would be tempted to do that to certain students.
Oh, sorry i meant your degree, because you had B.Education in your sig at one point :) Sounds interesting, Goodluck anyway.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
lol @ origional article

Solution: Bash the fuck out of someone who 'slaps' you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)