Sleep Paralysis (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Anyone experienced it? I've had it twice now and it's made me scared as shit to go to sleep despite not hallucinating.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
shit scary! i've had it about 2-3 times (last instance was years ago), and yeah each time i woke up i was too scared to go back to sleep lol.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
What?? I've never heard of it before - somehow- and was literally about to close the laptop to go to bed. I will no longer be doing that.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i had my last episode like 5 days ago and i've been too scared to sleep

i get to t he point where i am wayyy too sleepy to fight it hahha

HSC
Uni Grad
Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).
I definitely have it, it happens when I begin to fall asleep and lasts for about 10 seconds. Shit's scary.

MysteryGenius

HSC
i used to get it when i was little but i never knew why, so that made it even more freaky.. it happened as i was waking up though

MysteryGenius

HSC
wow just watched a video on this.. very creepy

although i imagine it wouldn't be the same as trying to wake up in the morning but being too lazy to move lol

this is pretty fked too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSVwmSzxKtU&feature=related
lol no, it was nothing like that
i used to wake up completely frozen and after about a minute or two, i'd gain control over my fingers. so i'd wiggle them until i could move my arm etc.
then one day i was unable to move my fingers at all, although i could move my tongue.. so i'd move it around until i could lift my head or move my fingers..
it took me about 3-5 mins to gain complete control again
=/
i remember i cried myself to sleep when it first started happening but i was too scared to tell mum or dad

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol no, it was nothing like that
i used to wake up completely frozen and after about a minute or two, i'd gain control over my fingers. so i'd wiggle them until i could move my arm etc.
then one day i was unable to move my fingers at all, although i could move my tongue.. so i'd move it around until i could lift my head or move my fingers..
it took me about 3-5 mins to gain complete control again
=/
i remember i cried myself to sleep when it first started happening but i was too scared to tell mum or dad
yeah generally they tell you to try to move a very small part of your body and then it'll just subside. the first time my body felt like 1000kg but i managed to sit up and get off my bed in my room, then randomly i woke up and was back in my girlfriends bed (which is where i was sleeping).

second time i just laid there and tried to move a finger/feet and randomly got shocked back into movement.

i get it when i'm about to fall asleep though, like i start my dream - realise it's a dream (lucid) and wake up

stupid me never taking advantage of the lucidity.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my sleep paralysis episodes involved me thinking im partially awake, then i decide i wanna lie the other way, so im like okay body lets go lie the other way. *doesnt move*. Ok time to wake up now (me becoming more mentally aware and less asleep), *body still doesnt move*. Then i kinda have a mini freak out attack in my head, and while im at it may as well have a nightmare yeah?
I got this feeling that 'something' was entering my room, and my eyes were fixated on like the wall or something (gaze is frozen along wtih my body) and from the corner of my eye i "see" this dark thing slowly enter my room, and im freaking the fuck out in my head, then when the thing gets close enough i eventually freak myself awake.
then when i ACTUALLY wake up i litearlly sit up as quick as i can, panting/sweating/freaked out, and i stay awake for a while cos too scared to go to sleep =(

MysteryGenius

HSC
yeah generally they tell you to try to move a very small part of your body and then it'll just subside. the first time my body felt like 1000kg but i managed to sit up and get off my bed in my room, then randomly i woke up and was back in my girlfriends bed (which is where i was sleeping).

second time i just laid there and tried to move a finger/feet and randomly got shocked back into movement.

i get it when i'm about to fall asleep though, like i start my dream - realise it's a dream (lucid) and wake up

stupid me never taking advantage of the lucidity.
ohk that's just a bit weird xD
yeah, it was so hard! each time it happened i thought i was dying >.< a tad extreme, i know..
ugh getting shocked back into it is the worst imo.. it happened to me once but only to my arm which caused me to slam it on the wall ): i was trying to move my arm sideways and wasn't expecting the sudden burst

oo i've always wanted to experience a lucid dream lol you should definitely seize the moment next time :)

my sleep paralysis episodes involved me thinking im partially awake, then i decide i wanna lie the other way, so im like okay body lets go lie the other way. *doesnt move*. Ok time to wake up now (me becoming more mentally aware and less asleep), *body still doesnt move*. Then i kinda have a mini freak out attack in my head, and while im at it may as well have a nightmare yeah?
I got this feeling that 'something' was entering my room, and my eyes were fixated on like the wall or something (gaze is frozen along wtih my body) and from the corner of my eye i "see" this dark thing slowly enter my room, and im freaking the fuck out in my head, then when the thing gets close enough i eventually freak myself awake.
then when i ACTUALLY wake up i litearlly sit up as quick as i can, panting/sweating/freaked out, and i stay awake for a while cos too scared to go to sleep =(
fark, that's kinda creepy =/

HSC
Uni Grad
Ohh now I understand wtf was wrong with me.

Yeh, back when I was between ~8-15 or so I would wake up and be unable to move and then after a about a minute or so my head would jolt foward into my bunk bed railing and I'd be able to move / do something about my sore head.

My friends said I must have a tumor or something lol, only happened a dozen or so times in that time period so it didn't worry me too much but it was sorta concerning, hopefully it has fucked off now.

HSC
Uni Grad
Worst thing was after the first time it happened, when I woke up like that afterwards I knew pefectly well that the only way it would end is with my head getting smashed (not sure why I always woke up with my head near the railing) but I prefered that to paralysis.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeah people generally have a sense of an unwanted 'presence' when htye have sleep paralysis, it's simply the brain freaking the fuck out + dream state = hallucinations, its purely medical, nothing paranormal

i had the same thing when i was 12-15, i had it most nights during that period, except there was a presence pushing me down into my bed and trying to suffocate me, I looked it up and the thing i had was 'old hag syndrome' http://paranormal.about.com/od/humanenigmas/a/Old-Hag-Syndrome.htm
it's something about your muscles relaxing and hence your chest feels like it's being 'pushed down' - purely medical, not paranormal

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I have it once in a blue moon since i was a kid. I don't get as scare as you guys lol.

For me it usually happens when I don't have enough oxygen. Say the blanket accidently get flip onto my face and I think my body reacts by trying to wake me up to get air, but I would be in this paralyzed state where I can't move and feel like suffocating because of whatever is blocking me from breathing properly. I will struggle (without movement) for probably no more than 30 seconds than I will be able to 'push' myself to move, then I usually go back to sleep right after.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Yeah I had it once - 2 minutes of just lying there unable to do anything is sooooooo bad

HSC
I've never had this before but I do sometimes wake up with no sensation at all in one of my arms and when I touch or ift it with my other hand it feels like a lump of meat.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I've never had this before but I do sometimes wake up with no sensation at all in one of my arms and when I touch or ift it with my other hand it feels like a lump of meat.
lol thats very common. I end up sleeping on my right arm and it goes all numb.. i get my left place it on top of my head and it just falls splat onto the bed again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)