So my piece of shit laptop died. (2 Viewers)

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been building and playing around with computers for 5-6 years, I can tell you it's hard to find something matching the specs this laptop for the price.

What's your total budget? Also I just remembered the name: Capitol Square iirc.
specs are far from the most important feature for everyday use

e.g. MacBooks have a high-def webcam, backlit kb, probs the best keyboard on any laptop besides a thinkpad, best laptop screens, magsafe, much better trackpads

i could go on

these things are much more useful to the average computer user than a 2.3ghz cpu instead of a 2ghz cpu

HSC
Uni Grad
also apple customer support/warranty

my charger stopped working on monday so i hopped into the apple store on the way to uni and they gave me a replacement in 5 mins

-

same thing happened to my cheap HP netbook early last year and it took 2 months to go through RMA

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
specs are far from the most important feature for everyday use

e.g. MacBooks have a high-def webcam, backlit kb, probs the best keyboard on any laptop besides a thinkpad, best laptop screens, magsafe, much better trackpads

i could go on

these things are much more useful to the average computer user than a 2.3ghz cpu instead of a 2ghz cpu
All the things you are mentioning aren't really specs, more like features. Specs would be 4GB RAM, 720GB HD etc etc, the stuff you really do need for a fully functioning laptop.

Backlit keyboard, hi-def webcam etc etc, those are all optional things. In fact you can even type without the backlit keyboard, as I have done so for many years and what I am doing at this very moment.

Riproot had a budget of ~1K so a Macbooks are out of the question unless he gets them second-hand. You can trust me on this one when I say that eventually, you will not give a crap about 'high def webcam' or 'much better trackpads' or 'magsafe' etc etc. Those are all little things that SOUND really nice now but realistically you will eventually take them for granted, and the things that you start to really notice and even sometimes piss you off, are to do with the main specifications.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
also apple customer support/warranty

my charger stopped working on monday so i hopped into the apple store on the way to uni and they gave me a replacement in 5 mins

-

same thing happened to my cheap HP netbook early last year and it took 2 months to go through RMA
This is turning into another Apple vs. PC thread. OP has a budget, so a PC is preferable (imo much better anyway, considering his uses for it).

If your charger stops working, you could very easily just buy a replacement. Sure it costs $40 or so (not even, sometimes) but you know what? How often does your charger stop working, ASSUMING it even stops working in the first place.

HSC
Uni Grad
All the things you are mentioning aren't really specs, more like features. Specs would be 4GB RAM, 720GB HD etc etc, the stuff you really do need for a fully functioning laptop.

Backlit keyboard, hi-def webcam etc etc, those are all optional things. In fact you can even type without the backlit keyboard, as I have done so for many years and what I am doing at this very moment.

Riproot had a budget of ~1K so a Macbooks are out of the question unless he gets them second-hand. You can trust me on this one when I say that eventually, you will not give a crap about 'high def webcam' or 'much better trackpads' or 'magsafe' etc etc. Those are all little things that SOUND really nice now but realistically you will eventually take them for granted, and the things that you start to really notice and even sometimes piss you off, are to do with the main specifications.
"specs are far from the most important feature for everyday use"

lrn2read

the whole point i was making was that those 'optional' things are much more useful to the average computer user than slightly higher specs

HSC
Uni Grad
You can trust me on this one when I say that eventually, you will not give a crap about 'high def webcam' or 'much better trackpads' or 'magsafe' etc etc. Those are all little things that SOUND really nice now but realistically you will eventually take them for granted,
exactly

e.g. i take touch gestures for granted now and increases my productivity and 'enjoyment'

and the things that you start to really notice and even sometimes piss you off, are to do with the main specifications.
no he's not a hardcore asian who buys water-cooling to get an extra 100mhz for dat extra 3 fps

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
"specs are far from the most important feature for everyday use"

lrn2read

the whole point i was making was that those 'optional' things are much more useful to the average computer user than slightly higher specs
Define 'slightly' higher specs. The difference in specs when you spend 1.5k on a PC as opposed to 1.5k on a laptop, is phenomenal. We're not talking 200mhz or 100gb more something like that, we're talking HUNDREDS of gigabytes of internal memory and 600mhz+ clock speed, which is a considerable amount, for the EXACT same price.

HSC
Uni Grad
This is turning into another Apple vs. PC thread. OP has a budget, so a PC is preferable (imo much better anyway, considering his uses for it).

If your charger stops working, you could very easily just buy a replacement. Sure it costs $40 or so (not even, sometimes) but you know what? How often does your charger stop working, ASSUMING it even stops working in the first place.
fuck that wasn't the point

i was saying in the event that something goes wrong (keyboard malfunction, dead pixels etc.) he won't be left without a computer for 2+ months

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
fuck that wasn't the point

i was saying in the event that something goes wrong (keyboard malfunction, dead pixels etc.) he won't be left without a computer for 2+ months
With the amount he's saving by getting a PC (with superior specs for half the price, might I add), he could BUY a brand new laptop and thus not need to wait 2+ months.

You have to ask, is it really worth it?

HSC
Uni Grad
Define 'slightly' higher specs. The difference in specs when you spend 1.5k on a PC as opposed to 1.5k on a laptop, is phenomenal. We're not talking 200mhz or 100gb more something like that, we're talking HUNDREDS of gigabytes of internal memory and 600mhz+ clock speed, which is a considerable amount, for the EXACT same price.
this whole discussion has been about laptops you derp

e.g. the 2.4ghz i5 in the laptop you posted vs. the 2.5ghz i5 in the cheapest macbook pro vs. the 1.7ghz cpu in the cheapest macbook air

also the one you posted has a older sandy bridge cpu (not that it makes much difference)

HSC
Uni Grad
With the amount he's saving by getting a PC (with superior specs for half the price, might I add), he could BUY a brand new laptop and thus not need to wait 2+ months.

You have to ask, is it really worth it?
do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Carrotsticks used money saving strategies!

Ohexploitable uses HD in first year Maths.

It's not very effective.

Carrotsticks uses HD average in Maths.

It's not very effective.

Ohexploitable uses band 6 in MX1 and MX2.

Carrotsticks uses state rank in MX1.

It's super effective!

HSC
Uni Grad
and also the MacBooks in question aren't double the price of the one you posted (like an extra $300)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

e.g. the 2.4ghz i5 in the laptop you posted vs. the 2.5ghz i5 in the cheapest macbook pro vs. the 1.7ghz cpu in the cheapest macbook air

also the one you posted has a older sandy bridge cpu (not that it makes much difference)
not really, I sort of want a desktop + shit netbook combo.

HSC
Uni Grad
Carrotsticks used money saving strategies!

Ohexploitable uses HD in first year Maths.

It's not very effective.

Carrotsticks uses HD average in Maths.

It's not very effective.

Ohexploitable uses band 6 in MX1 and MX2.

Carrotsticks uses state rank in MX1.

It's super effective!
+rep

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Don't quite get what you mean about "discussions about laptops" because I am very well aware of that, I don't see where I mentioned desktops.

The i5 laptop I posted is ~$800 full price and remember this is an older model. A new one is due to be released and the price of this model will drop by about $100-200 to clear them out.

The cheapest macbook pro is how much, you tell me to confirm yourself. Most certainly not under 1K.

HSC
Uni Grad
but lol no you don't want a cheap netbook

get like an iPad or an android tablet instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)