So my piece of shit laptop died. (2 Viewers)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
oh wow i built my first computer in year 6 so that's 8 years

~that makes me soooo cool~

(no)

-

i used to think like you, trying to get the best 'bang-for-buck', buying a cheap core 2 and overclocking the fuck out of it etc.

but now i've realised there are much more important things than just specs and that a saving of $100 or $200 means nothing at all on something you're gonna use for possibly 2-3 years
Reducing to personal attacks isn't really the best way to convey your points. I'm sure you're more mature than that.

Yes, saving a few hundred dollars is nothing. However, we're comparing two things where one is not only cheaper, but has more 'bang' simultaneously!

*video link*

SSDs have improved quite a bit since then
This is what I was saying beforehand, the computers they test are brand new. After 2-3 years of use, you will have all these temporary files and random downloads etc all over the place. With only 128gb to work with, you will notice the effect very soon. It will run very smoothly for a couple of months, but with only that kind of capacity, the speed will be reduced to that of a HDD with heaps of spare memory.

11" macbook air

same screen resolution as most 13.3" laptops (1366x768)

so unless you're 80 years old, get the 11"
Umm... I think you're getting the concept of resolution wrong. Resolution is the number of pixels, but you're saying that as if all the pixels are the same size, which is most certainly not the case.

With the 11", you're cramming the same number of pixels into the same area. So although you are in a sense getting very slightly 'higher definition', it still doesn't change the fact your screen size is 11".

=======================

Anyway I'm done here for today. I've had too many of these Mac vs. PC debates for my own good and it's just an endless stream of repetition. OP made his final choice (unfortunately Mac) but what can I do! It's his money after all!

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
there isn't more 'bang', please honestly tell me what will make a more noticeable difference for jarrod - ssd or a few extra mhz

macs don't fragment (journalling file system)

i know exactly what resolution means, the whole point of that was that jarrod is still young so he will have no difficulty with having everything smaller

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know why you said "unfortunately mac" I just think they're easier to use for me since I'm computer retarded, and also, since I can dual boot, whereas, I can't dual boot a PC (easily).

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
ohexploitable, you still have a lot to learn about computers, especially laptops. I've been in the PC business for years and I've seen all those points before, nothing new.
you've been going around in circles this whole thread and if you say "so has ohexploitable" it's because he's been forced into following you around the circle

if you've "been in the PC business for years" you should learn how to communicate at least to the level of a 15 year old before you try and argue with someone

The point you've stated here is an enormous non sequitur as well and you might as well be saying "lol I'm olda derefor i is rite"

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Literally ignoring points made by the person and then claiming you're right is a great way to get your point across, well done Carrotsticks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't know why you said "unfortunately mac" I just think they're easier to use for me since I'm computer retarded, and also, since I can dual boot, whereas, I can't dual boot a PC (easily).
Not quite sure what you mean by not being able to dual boot a PC. You literally need to press two buttons (or more, depending on how many you have) to select the OS (along with the partition presumably). One for selecting the OS, and then 'enter'.

If you're talking about setting up the multi-boot, it's quite simple. First step partition, second step install.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue PC vs Mac anymore, but I will answer any relevant questions you have.

And lolsmith in response to your post, you are now just making attacks at me rather than contributing to the thread. Much of what you have said can be applied to his responses as well, so I can presume that you are doing this in defence of a friend. If you have something relevant to contribute, by all means continue. If you have a problem with me personally, then feel free to PM me to discuss it, or make a thread in Contact Mods. Any further irrelevant posts from yourself or anybody else for that matter will be deleted.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Not quite sure what you mean by not being able to dual boot a PC. You literally need to press two buttons (or more, depending on how many you have) to select the OS (along with the partition presumably). One for selecting the OS, and then 'enter'.

If you're talking about setting up the multi-boot, it's quite simple. First step partition, second step install.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue PC vs Mac anymore, but I will answer any relevant questions you have.

And lolsmith in response to your post, you are now just making attacks at me rather than contributing to the thread. Much of what you have said can be applied to his responses as well, so I can presume that you are doing this in defence of a friend. If you have something relevant to contribute, by all means continue. If you have a problem with me personally, then feel free to PM me to discuss it, or make a thread in Contact Mods. Any further irrelevant posts from yourself or anybody else for that matter will be deleted.
you know, like boot both mac and windows from the same computer? So I can have the best of both worlds.

He's always busting chops I don't think he was defending anyone.

HSC
mac's are overpriced for what you get and should be avoided

just build a windows pc yourself, it's not hard

or alternatively select the parts and take it to msy and they'll do it for you for $70

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
you know, like boot both mac and windows from the same computer? So I can have the best of both worlds.

He's always busting chops I don't think he was defending anyone.
Oh right I see! Boot-camp is what you're after.

mac's are overpriced for what you get and should be avoided

just build a windows pc yourself, it's not hard

or alternatively select the parts and take it to msy and they'll do it for you for $70
Solid idea, but it seems like OP has decided upon getting a laptop + screen so when he takes it home, it's pretty much a desktop.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so you plug the hard drive into that and that into the comp? Yay!

Also, I have a 1.5 TB hard drive, but haven't backed up since a while before we moved so I really just need to back my stuff up on there. Yay!
Yes, pretty much.

All you need is a screwdriver to remove the HDD and reattach it to the case. A 10 minute job.

HSC
Oh right I see! Boot-camp is what you're after.

Solid idea, but it seems like OP has decided upon getting a laptop + screen so when he takes it home, it's pretty much a desktop.
i guess that's fine...

although honestly with $1500 i would build a killer desktop and then buy a laptop for uni/media w.e with the change

J

johndavis

Please dont swear. It means you have a very poor vocabulary.

Go get a proper job, i.e. not at uni, don't do dodgy stuff like getting two discounts. Get a decent budget.

Thanks for you cooporation. YA DICK

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
... This thread...

Low end MacBook Pro or the Air would probably suit you the best.

I'm against the smaller netbooks, and even a lot of the 13" models as they tend to be... Horrid. Slow, clunky and the keyboard + pad are horrible to work on.

The Macs are far more functional for you in this sense. This talk of SSD - as stated, OS-X uses a Journaling file system which will not fragment and as what OE was saying, the boot/standby+resume time is in the single digit realm of seconds - ideal for uni.

That, and the fact that the Mac is the ideal for the somewhat (or completely) computer illiterate. Everything is made for ease of use, with speed under emphasis.

People seem to be forgetting that the OP specified a laptop AND a desktop, but is open to suggestions.
Stop saying 'desktops are better because X'. Derrrrp. Irrelevant.

HSC
what is all this talk on mac's being easier to use. yeah sure maybe if you've literally never dealt with a computer before, but other than that everyone should be fine. and faster? hahaha don't make me laugh please

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Buy a Windows laptop and dual boot it.
If you need help on how to dual boot, contact someone actually qualified in the field of IT.
Jesus christ.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
what is all this talk on mac's being easier to use. yeah sure maybe if you've literally never dealt with a computer before, but other than that everyone should be fine. and faster? hahaha don't make me laugh please
A laptop at around the same size and weight rarely incorporates the same or similar tech/features, or is rarely as comfortable to use. Someone who is oblivious to computer maintenance and the like benefits from OS-X etc. This is where the premium comes into it.

Don't think as someone who is into computers. Think as the layman.

HSC
A laptop at around the same size and weight rarely incorporates the same or similar tech/features, or is rarely as comfortable to use. Someone who is oblivious to computer maintenance and the like benefits from OS-X etc. This is where the premium comes into it.

Don't think as someone who is into computers. Think as the layman.
well i don't think the size and weight thing is necessarily true, but i'll take your word for it. also, how does someone who's oblivious to computer maintenance benefit more from mac?

seems like a poor excuse to fork out $300 more than what's needed

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
well i don't think the size and weight thing is necessarily true, but i'll take your word for it. also, how does someone who's oblivious to computer maintenance benefit more from mac?

seems like a poor excuse to fork out $300 more than what's needed
OS-X, by the nature of the OS and the way it's been designed means that it is very stable and does away with most maintenance related issues like fragmentation. It is a very low maintenance operating system - and ~98% less viruses lends to this (note: statistic pulled out of my ass).

I'm on a 2009 MBP right now. It's been through hell and back, physical damage and abuse by software, and it is only on its second OS install (I broke Leopard by accident, doing some 'advanced' shit; restarted and installed snow leopard). Still going strong. That says a strong OS right there.

Oh, and its full to capacity but running as smooth as ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)