So since it's all over, thoughts on raw marks for band 6? (1 Viewer)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I think it's typical to view ourselves as the victims. We see questions from past HSC papers and think, yeah, I could do that. We do these questions, under 'exam conditions', and we might perform admirably, but nevertheless, nothing can compare to the actual conditions we experience during the HSC exam. Last year's Module A was certainly far more difficult than this year's, in my opinion (I do Letters to Alice and Pride and Prejudice) and last year's Module C would have limited pre-prepared responses with a heavy focus on language rather than form. Module B was obviously more difficult if you hadn't prepared for the content in the excerpt, but it also gave you freedom in the thematic concerns you could discuss, which last years question did not. I think that once we look past the initial shock of Module B, this year's exam was more straightforward than last years. The band 6 cut-off will most likely be around 83.
Right on! I totally agree with that. Module A and Module C were extremely straightforward this year - A was generic, C was recycled almost from 2009. Mod B was more challenging this year though. In terms of paper 1, the unseen texts were also more straightforward, as was the creative, and the essay was about the same in terms of difficulty. So the cut-off I believe will be higher this year compared to last year.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Right on! I totally agree with that. Module A and Module C were extremely straightforward this year - A was generic, C was recycled almost from 2009. Mod B was more challenging this year though. In terms of paper 1, the unseen texts were also more straightforward, as was the creative, and the essay was about the same in terms of difficulty. So the cut-off I believe will be higher this year compared to last year.
i'd have to disagree

there were many more subtle tricks in the 'easy' questions

e.g.
1. Short Answers - weren't that straightforward
2. Creative Writing - people seem to have missed the 'REMEMBERED places' aspect of it
in most schools, place is rarely a focus.
i know we barely did
there is also only so much you can say about it:
- the intimacy with the tangible landscapes
- the intangible values associated to place by communities and people

3. Mod A - 'DISTINCTIVE contexts,' needed a bit more of a contrast then a compare which differs from what we've been ingrained to do with these two texts
4. Mod B - self-explanatory
5. ModC - pretty diverse in interpretations. I would definitely not say it was 'EASY.' It was pretty thought-provoking, however.

the cut-off will be 100% lower than last year. I'm putting it at a 73-75

the reception so far hasn't been too favourable.

Last edited:

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
looking into the paper as an outsider, I found that this years belonging paper was probably the toughest paper yet.
As with paper 2, module A and C were straightforward - nothing too difficult and Module B would have being just another question, if you had read your entire text/ poems/ speeches. However, definitely tougher when compared to last year.
so when all things considered, it only makes sense that the cut off for a band 6 should be lowered, but you never know Board of studies thinks

themanman

HSC
N/A
looking into the paper as an outsider, I found that this years belonging paper was probably the toughest paper yet.
As with paper 2, module A and C were straightforward - nothing too difficult and Module B would have being just another question, if you had read your entire text/ poems/ speeches. However, definitely tougher when compared to last year.
so when all things considered, it only makes sense that the cut off for a band 6 should be lowered, but you never know Board of studies thinks
they decide based on the marks of the state
if they are all considerably lower than last year, the cut-off drops

its not up to the bos to randomly decide

And, yes, it was considerably more difficult than last year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i'd have to disagree
there were many more subtle tricks in the 'easy' questions
e.g.
1. Short Answers - weren't that straightforward
2. Creative Writing - people seem to have missed the 'REMEMBERED places' aspect of it
in most schools, place is rarely a focus.
i know we barely did
there is also only so much you can say about it:
- the intimacy with the tangible landscapes
- the intangible values associated to place by communities and people
3. Mod A - 'DISTINCTIVE contexts,' needed a bit more of a contrast then a compare which differs from what we've been ingrained to do with these two texts
4. Mod B - self-explanatory
5. ModC - pretty diverse in interpretations. I would definitely not say it was 'EASY.' It was pretty thought-provoking, however.
the cut-off will be 100% lower than last year. I'm putting it at a 73-75
the reception so far hasn't been too favourable.
HOLY SHIT!
Your module A this year was made to align to standard's "Distinctive voices" and the "Distinctively visual", whereas last year we had a comparison question in module A so that it would be like the Advanced module A.

smartalec

HSC
HOLY SHIT!
Your module A this year was made to align to standard's "Distinctive voices" and the "Distinctively visual", whereas last year we had a comparison question in module A so that it would be like the Advanced module A.
cool.

A-Nonentity

HSC
Everyone has to remember that there are A LOT of people who don't care about the HSC anywhere near as much as the people on this site do. Majority of the people saying the cut offs are ridiculous are the ones who will probably end up with a very high mark in the 90's and are offended that people who get lower marks should be in the same range as them.

there are lots of variables for a Band 6 to be obtained and the raw HSC mark is only part of it. Either way we won't know until we know. I am personally hoping for a Band 5 in english since i flunked module A a bit and Module B was alrightishh and I ranked 15/127 in a school that on average ranks 95th and according to the correlation with our School Certificate results should go even better this year. At the end of the day, you get what you get, but it is entirely possible that the raw mark is around 80/105 if not lower for a band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)