So since it's all over, thoughts on raw marks for band 6? (1 Viewer)

silence--

HSC
sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone! the lower the merrier I guess:)
no offense taken, lol.

also i've heard many things about hsc marking compared to school marking: one teacher at my school that marked mod b said the state average for hamlet was 8/20 (lolwut). but then other teachers have said marking is a lot more lenient. eh who knows lol

HSC
Uni Grad
I suppose around the mid-high 70s, like say, 76-77?

this year, they will have to align it up quite a lot since ppl were screwed over by mod B this year. Others were screwed over by the belonging essay question, since it didn't really fit for people doing as you like it and dickinson poems

zxreth

HSC
Thats just ridiculous. Honestly, 75 isnt easy to get, but its not that hard either. Were there a lot of band 6s last year?
~13% got band 6 for adv last year whilst ~49-51% for band 5 last year

salih08

HSC
how do you know scouser?
I dont...though I know the chem exams are marked really strictly because I got 92 throughout the year, and then my raw hsc exam mark was in the low 70s, which got scaled up to a 92, and i found the paper really easy so i assume they mark hsc exams very hard :S and the raw mark for a band 6 english from a range of marks ive scene would be somewhere between 78 and 84. I guess 80.

katoji

HSC
True. But pretty much anyone who composed an easy before hand and looked at the syllabus whilst doing it would have had something to do with memory and place and that could have been amalgamated to form something.

Letting everyone know: last year 82% after optional scaling was 90. And anything as low as 77% could've gotten a 90.

Also, to all those saying "definite band 6, YAY!" Not all schools Mark to HSC standards and you may be surprised about the harshness (this was my main problem when I did advanced in year 11 and just passed and just failed).
Was their paper regarded as difficult?

themanman

HSC
N/A
lol 75+ is nothing?

50% of the state will get band 6 (overexaggeration)

and ive heard from some they mark leniently

others they mark hard

it depends on who u get as ur marker really

myafanatic

HSC
Does anyone know what I should be expecting in terms of an HSC mark from a 90-95 raw mark? Internally I'm 1st/60 and my school rank is around 45-55!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Does anyone know what I should be expecting in terms of an HSC mark from a 90-95 raw mark? Internally I'm 1st/60 and my school rank is around 45-55!
Very high 90s

I suppose around the mid-high 70s, like say, 76-77?

this year, they will have to align it up quite a lot since ppl were screwed over by mod B this year. Others were screwed over by the belonging essay question, since it didn't really fit for people doing as you like it and dickinson poems
The belonging essay question fit AYLI very well.

sophielee169

HSC
I think lower. I don't know, but I thought paper 1 and paper 2 compared to previous years was a tad more challenging - also considering the fact that the whole questioning structure for Module B was sort of different than previous years - and this may have put people on edge than say, if they were to answer the Module B question from 2009 for Hamlet about loyalty rather than the play as a WHOLE.
sounds about right. there was alot more specification in both papers

sophielee169

HSC
last year it was 79/105
and that was a pretty straightforward paper

i can't imagine it being as high as 84, especially not this year
was it really only 79 last year? our paper, module b paper 2 in particular, was by far the hardest in a lonnnng time, especially compared to last year

sophielee169

HSC
so u think the mark easier for final exams?
im not too sure if its different for english than other subjects, but alot of my teachers mark for other subjects and say they really aim to give marks more than take them away.. so sounds like itd be easier marking. just a guess

sophielee169

HSC
lol 75+ is nothing?

others they mark hard

the marking is actually done really fairly. my english teacher marks for ex eng and she told us the process: they send an essay around for everyone to mark that they want people to give, for eg, an 18.. if someone gives it like 16.. they say mark easier.. if someone gives it 20, they say mark harder.. so they make sure there is a standard. also, every paper gets marked by 2 separate markers. if there is a descrepency of over 1 mark between the two, then its marked by a senior marker who then gives it the final mark... its actually made to be really fair :)

HSC
lol 75+ is nothing?

others they mark hard

that's so demoralising knowing my luck lol

Swazz

Jooocy
HSC
LOL shutup, you don't even have a school rank yet. depends on total no. of band 6's THIS YEAR.
only schools that can be certain of their ranks year in year out are Ruse, Baulko and Syd guys....
for all you know, your grade could have dumb arses who place you >100th.

nephh22

HSC
LOL shutup, you don't even have a school rank yet. depends on total no. of band 6's THIS YEAR.
only schools that can be certain of their ranks year in year out are Ruse, Baulko and Syd guys....
for all you know, your grade could have dumb arses who place you >100th.
If ur rank 1st, ur grade will have NO effect on u, assuming u get the highest mark in the external exam. :)

K

kindersurprise

I think it's typical to view ourselves as the victims. We see questions from past HSC papers and think, yeah, I could do that. We do these questions, under 'exam conditions', and we might perform admirably, but nevertheless, nothing can compare to the actual conditions we experience during the HSC exam. Last year's Module A was certainly far more difficult than this year's, in my opinion (I do Letters to Alice and Pride and Prejudice) and last year's Module C would have limited pre-prepared responses with a heavy focus on language rather than form. Module B was obviously more difficult if you hadn't prepared for the content in the excerpt, but it also gave you freedom in the thematic concerns you could discuss, which last years question did not. I think that once we look past the initial shock of Module B, this year's exam was more straightforward than last years. The band 6 cut-off will most likely be around 83.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)