• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

so...what is PERSONAL REFLECTION!? (1 Viewer)

couchpotato

HSC
i've heard this is a very common methodology to use and that often people dont do it too well

but the teachers have never really explained what it is exactly?

obviously its a reflection on your personal experience in your chosen topic, but do you actually like need to write soemthing out or something?
or do u kinda just make comments in your pip based on your personal knowledge/experiences on the topic without referencing a secondary material...?

hopefully that made some kind of sense

can anyone explain in simple words for me? lol

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
This is what i was taught and i did pretty well. A personal reflection is when you just blurt out everything in your brain in regards to your topic in general or a certain aspect of your topic.

You are not meant to worry about your spelling, grammar, bias, political correctness etc, its totally uncensored, its your brain on a page. The whole point is that you get down to your true thoughts and feelings on the subject and perhaps come up with new ideas that come from random tangents you might go off on.

Writing the personal reflection is just one half of the methodology, next you have to analyse it. Look at your bias for example, try to figure out why you might have that bias, what SaC concepts apply etc. You have to try and break down your thoughts using the concepts.

Its a good idea to do several personal reflections throughout the whole PIP process to show the progression of your research, personal growth/regression, continuity and change etc

Last edited:

nelsoni

HSC
so just to confirm...you don't have to include all of your personal reflections at the end do you? Like with interview transcripts and stuff?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)