• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

so whats the best way to meet ppl at anu/act (1 Viewer)

PulpusFiction

HSC
hi

looks like ill be coming to ANU next year straight from sydney all by myself, no friends or anything.

anyway, most of my friends here in sydney were from highschool where we had years to get to know each other. i was just wondering what the best way to meet people over here was, ill be living on campus so i guess there'll be lots of opportunities to meet people, but what about the student clubs scene? i went to the clubs.anu page and most of the one im interested in are dead.

any good tips??
thanks

Evilo

HSC
Hey mate
I'm going down (to ANU) next year and im really looking forward to it!

"straight from sydney all by myself, no friends or anything"
you make it sound like prison or something lol - you did choose ANU (allthough the preferences may have pursuaded you). But seriously theres hundreds of other students in the exact same position as you (including myself), who are looking forward to meet new people. Yeah we are "leaving most of our old friends behind" but we stay in touch with our good friends, and we make new ones too. Technology is better now and you can make contact easier with your syd mates.

Back to topic - In my assumption O week, going to a hall/college and participating in college life would be sufficient. I might join a club/sporting team too. I think we will see what happenes in O week.

Im really looking forward to getting out of sydney (nothing against sydney or anything) - i just want a new experience, new challenges and to meet heaps new people.

See you there!
:)

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
i moved from melbourne at the start of this year thinking the exact same thing. if you are going into college you have no need to worry about it at all - everyone's in exactly the same boat so you'll all be nervously chatting away and getting to know people.
i'm not sure bout the other colleges but johns doesn't have the later year students return until halfway through o week which allows the first years to have time to bond.
if you're going into a share house i'd imagine it might be a little bit harder. but the anu o week activites are also fun, and market day will allow you to see what sort of groups you can be involved in (a warning though, you'll probably sign up for heaps of things and never go... i did that with the debate team, choir, ski team, amnesty... etc)
best of luck!

PulpusFiction

HSC
thanks for that guys

but what's o week though? here in sydney its just like a giant fair, you can't actually make friends there can you? like u just cant walk up to a group of people and say hi!? is anus oweek any different?

cheers

Evilo

HSC
PulpusFiction said:
thanks for that guys

but what's o week though? here in sydney its just like a giant fair, you can't actually make friends there can you? like u just cant walk up to a group of people and say hi!? is anu's oweek any different?

cheers

o week = fun fun

get ur timetable, meeting ppl, getting pissed... thats what i thought o week was about - well thats what i am expecting anyway

Umm yeh dude? thats what o week is all about - "orientation week" - get used to your surroundings and meet new people.

u just cant walk up to a group of people and say hi!?
umm well when theres like a few thousand (nervous) students in the same situation of course you can! dw man your just nervous :) im soo excited - its gonna be great fun :)

please remember to put an apostrophie when writing "anu's" lol :)

PulpusFiction

HSC
lol anus, i totally didn't realise.

thanks for the advice, i wonder why these forums r so damn quite though...

Evilo

HSC
yeah i know - is extremly quiet on the ANU forum....
weired :S

timmyh

HSC
in support of what everyone else has said....
if you're living on campus u'll have no worries making some mates during O week (with the possible exception of fenner?) U'll be pissed most of the time, and either sleeping or in the process of getting pissed the rest (based on my memories of O week)... If u're coming to Johns there is no doubt it will be one of the best weeks of ur life.
I came from Tamworth to ANU not knowing anybody, as yet i have only found one othre person from Tamworth at ANU. But none of that matters because u'll be living the dream and making friends before u know it.
Best advice is get amongst it, and that does mean going up to that group of randoms and introducing urself, or buying that hot girl a drink.
Dont worry about it, enjoy it!

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
timmyh said:
If u're coming to Johns there is no doubt it will be one of the best weeks of ur life.
ahhh... the memories. we really did have an awesome o-week at johns this year didn't we tim. if i only i could remember all of it... whoops.
i've learnt my lesson now - gotta get as much partying in at the start of the year before the work load increases... i didn't get out nearly as much as i wanted to this year.

timmyh

HSC
Ah O week.... such an invaluable contribution to uni life. O week 07 is gonna be damn awesome, big parties like last year but we'll actually know ppl, as well as have all the nervous 1st years to have fun with lol. Im that psyched for it....
I wonder if they're gonna have fantasy island again...? there was some talk about it being canned (?). And then there is hawaiian bar crawl, the foam party, toga night, and if Sven gets his act together maybe even OTB.... U heard anything about it???
And Vale might possibly be back as well so that could be good.

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
vale's coming back? awesome!
i didn't go on fantasy island - the thought of being outside in the blazing hot sun, with all that booze and not being able to get back to college didn't really fill me with joy. which is probably why i'm not the biggest fan of OTB. i haven't heard any OTB news but ken's such a pushover that they probably will just say 'we'll control it more' and he'll ok the go ahead.
i guess we'll just wait and see.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
2nd year O-week is a bit lame, you wander around and everywhere is full of young'uns..... IMO

timmyh

HSC
hmm maybe, though i really have no problem with partying with ppl only 1year younger than me, anyways a ton of 2nd years (from johns anyway) will be back.... I actually think in some ways O week 2nd time around will be better... u know ur way around, know lots of ppl, know the good places to party and u get to have fun with all the innocent 1st years haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)