So you think you want a motorcycle? (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
$100 for a diagnosis of the problem.

This is going to be fun.

And both of you, stfu.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
$100 seems a bit steep. What the fuck takes 3 hours to inspect and diagnose?

Presumably that's just their speculative quote, for worst case scenario.

if it was your plugs it wouldn't turn over, i believe
With the wrong gap it will run, badly.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah they said it could range from battery to internal engine problems. Might have a go at a new battery and see if it makes any difference. The bloke i was talking to said: "Your bikes gone 4KM before it died? Well you will probably find your batteries gone 'fuck this 4KM is enough, no more juice for you' and turned itself off."

Well it might explain its lack of turning the fuck over when it does kill over.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Woot got 4KM done. Im gonna ring up the local store and see if they have any idea as to wtf is going on..

Emptied Fuel Tank.
New Clean Fuel.
Pump is Working.
Piping not blocked.
Battery might be gone: Pump noise took longer then it does on cold start.
Not going to touch Carbi's.

BTW i dont think its a gearing problem., i thought i would try and keep away from 1st, see if thats doing it. So i went Neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Came to stop on second and seemed fine enough then took off. Satisified i Throttled and stayed in 3rd, then taking a corner i got about 100m down the road and the engine seemed to lose all life and die.

BTW once i get this bike fixed, if we meet up ill buy you all a beer or what ever the hell you drink.
Hmz, do you have a charger there with you? Put the battery on the charge and type in the reading after going for a ride. If the bike is dying after a little riding down the road this could point to a electrical problem. Essentially what's going on is that the bike is not generating power back into the battery in order to operate basic functions like blinkers, headlight, fuel control and as a result, the engine will die sometime after starting (just drains it).

Electrical problems I have with same engine and layout as yours (Mines an FZX250 btw, very similar to the FZR250):

- Generator/Alternator problem (bike shit itself couple hundred metres from my house).

- Electrical wiring exposed and shorting on frame (bike backfired and eventually shit itself)

- Rectifyer/regulator (located near seat, dead)... bike no start.

-Fuses too old and broke... bike start but no headlight. Ah funny story this... I had to travel from Richmond to Penrith with no blinkers, headlight nor tail light at 3.00am in the moring (Service station had no fuses either) - I sticky taped a pen torch to the headlight and hit the trottle as hard as could all the way home (including thru red lights). I figured if I get caught by Police they'll throw fines at me anyway and considering I was on my L's, they'd prob take em away (Always carry spare fuses).

To test if this is an electrical problem causing your bike to stop is easily done by a Rising Volts Test - you'll require a multimetre (If you don't have one, one of your neighbours will). Google rising volts test for instructions.

Also check:

- Oil level
- Unleaded fuel (thats what you should have in your bike)
- Trottle cable slack
- Spark plugs (Remove them from the engine head and clean the tops of them with a very fine piece of sand paper dipped in fuel). Don't touch the node with the sand paper and ensure you blow out any remaining grit, sand which may be present after sanding. Just grab a small piece of SP and slightly rub it against any black areas on the plug.
- Ensure the ignition leads are secured correctly to the tops of the sparkies, and that the sparkies are finger tight (don't use a wrench ffs, you'll fuck things).
- Re-check the fuel hosing for any kinks, and ensure the filter under tanks is clean.

Questions:

- When idling, what RPM does it sit at when warm?
- When was the oil, sparkies last replaced?
- Have you tried a different brand of fuel?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I dont get it. Why does the battery affect it once it is going?
Fuel Pump.

Hmz, do you have a charger there with you? Put the battery on the charge and type in the reading after going for a ride. If the bike is dying after a little riding down the road this could point to a electrical problem. Essentially what's going on is that the bike is not generating power back into the battery in order to operate basic functions like blinkers, headlight, fuel control and as a result, the engine will die sometime after starting (just drains it).

Electrical problems I have with same engine and layout as yours (Mines an FZX250 btw, very similar to the FZR250):

- Generator/Alternator problem (bike shit itself couple hundred metres from my house).

- Electrical wiring exposed and shorting on frame (bike backfired and eventually shit itself)

- Rectifyer/regulator (located near seat, dead)... bike no start.

-Fuses too old and broke... bike start but no headlight. Ah funny story this... I had to travel from Richmond to Penrith with no blinkers, headlight nor tail light at 3.00am in the moring (Service station had no fuses either) - I sticky taped a pen torch to the headlight and hit the trottle as hard as could all the way home (including thru red lights). I figured if I get caught by Police they'll throw fines at me anyway and considering I was on my L's, they'd prob take em away (Always carry spare fuses).

To test if this is an electrical problem causing your bike to stop is easily done by a Rising Volts Test - you'll require a multimetre (If you don't have one, one of your neighbours will). Google rising volts test for instructions.

Also check:

- Oil level
- Unleaded fuel (thats what you should have in your bike)
- Trottle cable slack
- Spark plugs (Remove them from the engine head and clean the tops of them with a very fine piece of sand paper dipped in fuel). Don't touch the node with the sand paper and ensure you blow out any remaining grit, sand which may be present after sanding. Just grab a small piece of SP and slightly rub it against any black areas on the plug.
- Ensure the ignition leads are secured correctly to the tops of the sparkies, and that the sparkies are finger tight (don't use a wrench ffs, you'll fuck things).
- Re-check the fuel hosing for any kinks, and ensure the filter under tanks is clean.

Questions:

- When idling, what RPM does it sit at when warm?
- When was the oil, sparkies last replaced?
- Have you tried a different brand of fuel?
#1-Not Sure
#2- Place i bought it from said they did some work on it, so im assuming few weeks ago
#3- I emptied the tank and put new fuel in. Old fuel was from the store and might have caused it.

Im think it is the battery after all, it explains the lack of fuel getting in and its inability to turn over once it does die.

Might ask the GF's dad if he has a voltmeter and check the battery.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Okay, so if the starter motor is not turning over when it dies, it's certainly an electrical problem. They shouldn't inspect anything else.

How are you getting it started again if you think you might be having battery problems? Is it on a charger?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Okay, so if the starter motor is not turning over when it dies, it's certainly an electrical problem. They shouldn't inspect anything else.

How are you getting it started again if you think you might be having battery problems? Is it on a charger?
Its an old ass battery. Im thinking after so much shit is going through it, its just dying and refusing to pump fuel into the engine. Im getting started by push starting or not bothering and walking the bike home.

If your talking about starting it up hours after, dunno, it turns over, just dies once i get it on the road.

Maybe its like my old Gameboy, the batteries die, i leave it for a while and it has enough juice for 5 mins.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
At least get a multimeter and run through tests on the charging system before you fork out for a new battery.

I had a bike that would die on me randomly on the road, and refuse to crank over. Faulty kill switch, If you put a bit of pressure on it towards the left it would kill the engine in the run position. I gaffa taped it into the right side of its casing.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
FUCK YOU BITCH. Cruisers and choppers rule motherfucker.
BAHAHAHA apart from the fact they are the ugliest motherfucking things known to motorcycling, they are extremely uncomfortable, handle like a bull and make more noise then a F1 car.

All based off that shit Learner bike i had to do the course on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)