Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
milan has played 9 games in the past months, so they are fatigued... plus with the juve milan match on the weekend, the players are probably looking ahead. cant believe ambrossini was the one to score tho. again kaka was the best of the milan players. the overhead kick on maldini looks painful, but unless liverpool can change the game plan from the last 3 games, he will get his 5th champions league title come the finals :D

slip

HSC
sorry i havent gotten on here sooner to say this as a chelsea support.

Congradulations liverpool. You play awesome over the two legs, defended awesome especially in the second leg, and deserved to go through.

I think that tie underlined the greatness of this game we love. When you get on the park it doesnt matter who you are, what you have done, how much you cost, it only matters how much you want to win, how much pride you have in your shirt and what you do. Out there it is 11 on 11 and your 11 were better.

On another point carragher played that good, i would be prepared to put him and terry together at the back for england.

Finally not to take away from your win i would love to know why mourinho played gallas at left back (not johnson or bridge... i think gallas cost us there) why tiago was play in the centre of the park considering he has only play about 15minutes of champs league football, why gudjohson didnt play further up front and finally why he took cole off who looked the most likely to score and why he didnt give robben more time. Also where was duff.

I think chelsea should play like this

Cech

Gallas Terry Caravahlo Bridge

Duff Lampard Makalele Robben

Drogba Gudjohnson

oh well, congrats liverpool but go AC Milan.

^___^
HSC
bridge is out injuried, gallas played left back for the past few games
robben was injuried, in fact, he wasn't even supposed to be on the bench
gudjohnson, under mourinho plays as a play-maker striker, so he drops deeper

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
slip said:
sorry i havent gotten on here sooner to say this as a chelsea support.

Congradulations liverpool. You play awesome over the two legs, defended awesome especially in the second leg, and deserved to go through.

I think that tie underlined the greatness of this game we love. When you get on the park it doesnt matter who you are, what you have done, how much you cost, it only matters how much you want to win, how much pride you have in your shirt and what you do. Out there it is 11 on 11 and your 11 were better.

On another point carragher played that good, i would be prepared to put him and terry together at the back for england.

Finally not to take away from your win i would love to know why mourinho played gallas at left back (not johnson or bridge... i think gallas cost us there) why tiago was play in the centre of the park considering he has only play about 15minutes of champs league football, why gudjohson didnt play further up front and finally why he took cole off who looked the most likely to score and why he didnt give robben more time. Also where was duff.

I think chelsea should play like this

Cech

Gallas Terry Caravahlo Bridge

Duff Lampard Makalele Robben

Drogba Gudjohnson

oh well, congrats liverpool but go AC Milan.
well first of all bridge has been injured for quite a while now, and johnson is just not very good. gallas was also playing with back troubles, but before that he has been covering very well for bridge(he did play there before too in previous seasons). neither duff nor robben are fully recovered, clearly robben wasclearly hampered against liverpool. also drogba has done nothing for chelsea and forsell would be a better choice i think. (crespo has been going very well for milan this season especially when sheva was out, but with gilardino coming, maybe he can go back 2 chelsea?) in fact i cant understand why forsell didnt come on as a sub for chelsea instead of kezman robben or huth. the way huth was brought on as a forward shows how sorry and lacking chelski's creative department was - just praying for longballs to come off is pretty pathetic. maybe roman can splash down 90 million and grab adriano or something lol

..............gudjohnson
robben...............................duff

......lampard..........cole/geremi
...............makelele

Bridge...gallas...terry....ferrera

...................cech

would be better if they are fully fit i reckon

carragher has been the heart and soul of liverpool this season imo, more so than gerrard who was out for a bit and has also been inconsistent.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
At the moment I think Chelsea's best striker is probably Forssell. I'm amazed Mourinho didn't even use him as a sub. I think all 3 of the big 3 strikers (Adriano, Henry, Schevchenko) are quite loyal to their clubs, so I don't think we'll see Chelsea get any of them, but in any case Drogba desperate needs replacing. Kezman too.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
carragher has been the heart and soul of liverpool this season imo, more so than gerrard who was out for a bit and has also been inconsistent.
I agree. In most of my posts after matches I've written how Carra has been my MOTM again. He has played great this season! If Gerrard were to leave - Carra should be made captain and he should def have a place in the England side.

T

timbk2

i dont think gerrard would leave after this CL run.

owen wold be shitting himself that he left for Real.. and won nothin, while liverpool are in the CL final... the game any player would dream of playing in.. apart from world cup.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well it looks like Pool won't be qualifying for next year's CL unless we finish 4th. To be honest I think if we win both our last matches we will qualify (but that will involve winning away to Arsenal, no mean feat. I don't see Everton getting points away to Bolton or Arsenal, so I don't think they'll get any more than 3, which means we'd go through on points difference if they won their other game. I don't know if Rafa will put any resources into getting 4th though, surely winning the CL is a higher priority.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Chelsea should just sign Teddy Sheringham, he'll show Drogba and Eider whos boss.

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Carragher was unbelievable againsy Roman and his roubles, but I still think Gerrard is more valuable because he wins games. With Carragher, unless he scores an unlikely goal, the best your gonna do is adraw. Having said that if Gerrard leaves of course he should be captain because he's got talent, marshals players well, is liverpool through and through and is perfect captain material.

Jim Green- "get rid of drogba" - are you nuts? Strength, good finishing etc etc he's got what Chelsea need and he hasn't let them down (i aint a chelski supporter for that matter) but Kezman is another story. He's to small for the physicality of England. He killed it in Holland but really hasn't cut it in the Premier league.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
You're big on size aren't you? Plenty of good, small players have done well in the Premiership. Garcia, Juninho and Zola just off the top of my head. It all depends on the type of player they are. Size is the least of Kezman's problems though. I think he just lacks the right attitude to play under Mourniho and I think he'll go back to PSV with his arrogant tail between his legs.

Drogba is a rich man's Heskey. If Heskey played for Chelsea, and had service from Robben, Duff, Cole, Bridge, Lampard, Ferreira etc, he too would score a whopping.. 10 goals a season. Besides did you see him in the 2 legs against Liverpool? He was anonymous. I think you'll find that there are MANY Chelsea fans hate him and Kezman both and are desperate to be rid of them.

HSC
Buggdogg said:
Carragher was unbelievable againsy Roman and his roubles, but I still think Gerrard is more valuable because he wins games. With Carragher, unless he scores an unlikely goal, the best your gonna do is adraw.
As opposed to all those other defenders at other clubs that are scoring 20+ goals a year? I don't think you can really compare players like Carragher and Gerrard given their different roles and strengths in the team

HSC
timbk2 said:
i dont think gerrard would leave after this CL run.

owen wold be shitting himself that he left for Real.. and won nothin, while liverpool are in the CL final... the game any player would dream of playing in.. apart from world cup.
As a Liverpool supporter, I'm grateful that Owen decided to leave, as we wouldn't have made it this far if we still had him in the team

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hmmm, heres hoping he win, so we can keep the trophy.

if we won this CL and kept the trophy and then won the next 2 seasons (hypothetically) would we get to keep that one too?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Alwayz Diana said:
I agree. In most of my posts after matches I've written how Carra has been my MOTM again. He has played great this season! If Gerrard were to leave - Carra should be made captain and he should def have a place in the England side.
Carragher has been in great form this season, but England has such great depth in centre-backs that I don't think he will gain a place in the England side. I think that two of either Ferdinand, Terry and Sol Campbell will make up those places.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
owen was seen looking pretty gloom in the tunnel at anfield that night apparently...

what's the use of gerrard scoring/setting them up if the defence leaks? you cant compare a defender and a midfielder in terms of goals being scored. IMO carragher did better in the roles he was supposed to do and had more of an impact in that sense than what gerrard achieved in his roles. yes gerrard has scored quite a few wonder goals, but i dont think he was as consistent as he was last season.

kezman scored 4 and drogba 10 in the epl, neither can say they have cut it at chelsea... drogba.. good finishing???? he has a pretty average 1st touch and consistently blasts the ball off target, i wouldnt say he is a good finisher at all. yes he has size, but most times he's marked out of the game and its people like lampard, gudjohnson, joe cole, robben and duff that are dangerous and carried chelsea through. drogba merely went with the ride. also how many times did kezman start a match in the epl?

edit: england players always gets injured, if king got a start in euro, so can carragher

Crazy Horse

HSC
Like stated you cant compare Gerrard and Carra - I was just saying that if Gerrard left I would love to see Carra get to wear the captain's band.

Matt#1 - England do have Terry, Rio and SWP but I still believe Carra should get a place in the squad.

jim_green said:
You're big on size aren't you? Plenty of good, small players have done well in the Premiership. Garcia
I didnt know Garcia was that small?? He wouldnt be any shorter than Michael Owen..

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Now that the FA has made up its mind to allow the top 4 to contest the UCL next season .. it should be interesting to see if UEFA steps in a grants England/EPL and fifth spot as requested by the English FA. Since it is a rare occurence I don't think UEFA would be all too concerned about setting a precedent. But then again Lennart Johansson and his men have done silly things in the past.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
The European finals for this season:

UCL
Liverpool FC v AC Milan
May 25
Atatürk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul

UEFA Cup
Sporting Lisbon v CSKA Moscow
May 18
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon

Well at least Abramovich has one of his clubs thru to a Euro cup final this yr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)