Status
Not open for further replies.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
... said:
i have no idea who they want to buy for the central defender's role

lets hope Wenger buys another Cygan

and they were also talking bout replacing Lehmann since he is a pussy and shit in the air
lol i thought almunia was lehman's replacement :p

but seriously i reckon they should persist with lehman just as man utd should keep faith with howard, they'll come good and all this speculation doesnt do their confidence any good. btw is cudiccini content warming the bench most of the time at chelsea? ... considering he's prolly the 2nd best keeper in england...

^___^
HSC
if cudicini is second best, who is the best?

hmm..i heard the race to sign Frey heats up as Inter, Man Utd, Arsenal and a few other clubs are chasing for his signature..though he might end up back in Inter..in that case, toldo will be leaving...

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Tender_Branson said:
The standard needed at Arsenal? You must admit that their weakest link is the back four, and you must also admit that is where Chelsea have built their (soon to be) Premiership winning team from. This backline includes John Terry and Wayne Bridge, two internationals for England. It's all well and good to mention "The standard needed at Arsenal", but the fact is, they are third. I will not hide my hatred for Manchester United, but their youth development has been a major factor in their success, many players being English (The Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes). Chelsea, no matter how much money they spend now, have more English players in their team than they did five or six years ago, when they were full of Italians (Zola etc).

It is called the "English Premier league" for a reason- it's English. And having foreign players is good in some respects, when your whole squad of 16 is not born in the country your playing in, it makes a mockery of the competition. This is why their should be restrictions on the amount of overseas players in a team, as it will solve the problem you seem so outraged about- overpriced quality English players.

What bollocks. The standard required of a young player at Arsenal is so much hgiher than 95% of the clubs in Europe it isn't funny. Arsenal currently supply half of the English national team defence and three of their most consistnet junior performers in recent seasons(Pennant,Hoyte and Bentley). They're best local players in Pennant, Bentley,Taylor and Stack are all out getting first-team experience whereby they'll hopefully become better mor battle hardened players when they return to the club.

And I don't see what the big fuss about Chelsea and their English plaers is. Apart from Terry and Lampard the rest of them rot on the bench or in the reserves. They can afford to spend 10mill on Parker 7mill on Johnson etc and not play them . For Arsenal that option isn't available they don't have a sugard-daddy willing to splash the cash like Chelsea do and they aren't the marketing machine Manchester United are.

And just because the team is based in England makes it a pre-requisite that Arsenal have to buy inferior,over-hyped, overpriced locals when they can get better players with a better attitude,who are far more technically proficient and would cost half as much? Arsenal have no obligation to buy English players, as long as they are a winning side it doesn't matter two bob where their players are from. And they are a very succesful club under Wenger.

Also, how would imposing a foreigner restriction solve the problem of over-priced locals> Englishmen would be so much more a necessity that the prices clubs can charge would be ridiculous. You could collapse the transfer market further by doing that.

Tender_Branson said:
Hope I'm not interpreting this the wrong way, but your making it seem as though Arsenal are a cash strapped bunch of battlers. Lets look at this from a statistical point of view. In figures released only this week for income over the 2003/4 season:

1: Man United - 171.5 million pounds
2: Real Madrid - 156.3 million pounds
3: AC Milan - 147.2 million pounds
4: Chelsea - 143.7 million pounds
5: Juventus - 142.4 million pounds
6: Arsenal - 115 million pounds

I think this goes to show that, while it's true The Arse aren't quite as wealthy as Chelsea, when you are talking in hundreds of millions of pounds, 28 million is a fair gap, but it definatly isn't a chasm.

It may be foolish to invest in a local player, but thats the the point I'm making. I'm not talking about economics or trophies, I'm tlaking about the fact that it's a fucking English league.
Those figures don't reflect relative wealth of clubs, they're income generated over the last financial period. When you consider Arsenal's huge wage-bill, maintenance costs and their very significant stadium repayments there is very little if anything left over to strengthen a squad with. And to strengthen Arsenal's team you need a lot of money which isn't available. They aren't cash-strapped, they just need to tighten the belt untill their stadium is completed. Then the extra-revenue generated should allow the manager to spend on whoever he likes, but now bargain hunting is the way.

Arsenal are bound by financial constraints that Chelsea aren't at the moment, and whether it's not about economics or trophies in your mind, football clubs are a business and must be run like a business. That's why it's not justified buying local chaff when overseas players would do a better job.

Oh and you still havent named me one English player available this summer who'd improve Arsenal's first team, wouldn't be exhorbitantly overpriced and demand ludicrous wages?

Last edited:

slip

HSC
Pennant has basically been told he wont play for arsenal again, when he got sent out on loan over summer. Many youth internationals never go onto play for there country, and most will never become regulars, look at hendrie, smith, j.cole they all had big hype and not one of them has really played for england for any sequence of matches. (if you want proof look at australia, in 97 we had a wc finalist under 17 tem, 8 years later many of these players should be at the peak of there careers, how many play for australia) youth systems produces many players that never really forfill the hype.

Just because 2 arsenal defenders play for england doesnt mean they have a good defence... results prove chelseas defence is better, put it down to what you like better players, better teamwork.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
slip said:
Just because 2 arsenal defenders play for england doesnt mean they have a good defence... results prove chelseas defence is better, put it down to what you like better players, better teamwork.

I said that where?

I just said that we currently supply half of england's defence, being Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell. I didn't say Arsenal had the best defence in England, when Chelsea's is obviously far more reliable and consistent.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
... said:
actually
Lehmann did alright at the beginning
then things started to fall apart when he was exposed he was weak in the air and doesn't like any physical contact(strangely, he went to an EPL club :p )
Lehmann was solid, did everything he was supposed to, nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary, i dont know, i never really liked him ... yes den as u say he kind of fell apart ...

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
HeCtic said:
What bollocks. The standard required of a young player at Arsenal is so much hgiher than 95% of the clubs in Europe it isn't funny. Arsenal currently supply half of the English national team defence and three of their most consistnet junior performers in recent seasons(Pennant,Hoyte and Bentley). They're best local players in Pennant, Bentley,Taylor and Stack are all out getting first-team experience whereby they'll hopefully become better mor battle hardened players when they return to the club.

And I don't see what the big fuss about Chelsea and their English plaers is. Apart from Terry and Lampard the rest of them rot on the bench or in the reserves. They can afford to spend 10mill on Parker 7mill on Johnson etc and not play them . For Arsenal that option isn't available they don't have a sugard-daddy willing to splash the cash like Chelsea do and they aren't the marketing machine Manchester United are.

And just because the team is based in England makes it a pre-requisite that Arsenal have to buy inferior,over-hyped, overpriced locals when they can get better players with a better attitude,who are far more technically proficient and would cost half as much? Arsenal have no obligation to buy English players, as long as they are a winning side it doesn't matter two bob where their players are from. And they are a very succesful club under Wenger.

Also, how would imposing a foreigner restriction solve the problem of over-priced locals> Englishmen would be so much more a necessity that the prices clubs can charge would be ridiculous. You could collapse the transfer market further by doing that.

Those figures don't reflect relative wealth of clubs, they're income generated over the last financial period. When you consider Arsenal's huge wage-bill, maintenance costs and their very significant stadium repayments there is very little if anything left over to strengthen a squad with. And to strengthen Arsenal's team you need a lot of money which isn't available. They aren't cash-strapped, they just need to tighten the belt untill their stadium is completed. Then the extra-revenue generated should allow the manager to spend on whoever he likes, but now bargain hunting is the way.

Arsenal are bound by financial constraints that Chelsea aren't at the moment, and whether it's not about economics or trophies in your mind, football clubs are a business and must be run like a business. That's why it's not justified buying local chaff when overseas players would do a better job.

Oh and you still havent named me one English player available this summer who'd improve Arsenal's first team, wouldn't be exhorbitantly overpriced and demand ludicrous wages?
yeh, thats what i was thinking, im just not intelligent enough to think up a response like that ... well said

HSC
COME ON THE BLADES! COME ON THE BLADES! Hahahahaha! Arsenal can shove their 118 million quid a year up their arse! 1-1 at home to Sheffield United!!!!! Up to Bramall Lane we go for the replay. Hahahahah!

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Tender_Branson said:
COME ON THE BLADES! COME ON THE BLADES! Hahahahaha! Arsenal can shove their 118 million quid a year up their arse! 1-1 at home to Sheffield United!!!!! Up to Bramall Lane we go for the replay. Hahahahah!

Yeah well you can go shove your........ um.....

oh you don't have anything eh?

Pfft, we'll stuff you in the replay, but fair play to the team, they did well.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Newcastle - Chelsea up next. I wonder how many first XI will take part in this contest, considering Jose will put more emphasis on the biggest prize of them all - the ECL, which is three days afterwards.

I reckon we'll see a fair bit of subbing of the important players, eg. Lamps, Duff, and maybe even Terry.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Tender_Branson said:

a 10 men arsenal side btw ... still they could only manage a draw

and bergkamp shouldnt have even been sent off , what a bullshit decision

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Terry is suspended for FA Cup... so he'll definiitely play both ECL and C Cup. Chelsea squad is so depleted with Drogba and Robben and Terry. Jose should buy more players!!!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
flyin' said:
Terry is suspended for FA Cup... so he'll definiitely play both ECL and C Cup. Chelsea squad is so depleted with Drogba and Robben and Terry. Jose should buy more players!!!

errr....well...UR team is unlucky ehh??

try being a liverpool supporter...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Gerrard is suspended as well.

Ohh, I support Chelsea to laugh at Arsenal =p
... said:
terry is also suspended from ECL from colecting 5yellows :)
That might mean no quad :(

Although Chelsea isn't a one-man team, without Robben and Terry and Drogba.. this is bad. At least we still have Lamps!!!

GO MAN UTD!!! No Sheva.. only Crespo.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Predicted (some of) Chelsea XI for FA Cup clash:

Cech
Johnson
Smertin
Jarosik
J Cole
Kezman
Geremi

ZabZu

HSC
In regards to the Arsenal vs Sheffield United game i reckon the result was what Sheffield United deserved because they defended brilliantly. In the replay arsenal is gona field a much stronger team and theyll get through to the next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)