Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
I'm bursting to watch the Champ League matches this week - on Wednesday I'll watch the match and then rush to my Orientation day at UWS! :p

Inter v Porto will be an interesting clash as both teams have completely different line ups since they played in Europe last season. From some of the matches I've seen Inter play this season I've been really disappointed that Davids has had so little game time in a midfield that does have depth.

If we start with a 4-3-3 formation with Adriano, Vieri and Recoba in attack (Martins is injured) that the results will be electric! :eek:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
I'm bursting to watch the Champ League matches this week - on Wednesday I'll watch the match and then rush to my Orientation day at UWS! :p

Inter v Porto will be an interesting clash as both teams have completely different line ups since they played in Europe last season. From some of the matches I've seen Inter play this season I've been really disappointed that Davids has had so little game time in a midfield that does have depth.

If we start with a 4-3-3 formation with Adriano, Vieri and Recoba in attack (Martins is injured) that the results will be electric! :eek:

I can't wait for the round to start, mainly to see Chelsea's quadruple die a painful death, but even without Terry they're an excellent defensive unit who can nick goals so Barca have to be on their game.

For the other matches:

Real Madrid-Juventus

Tough one to pick, both teams look solid right now but Juve are so hard to crack I might give them slight favouritism at this stage. I reckon Madrid are due a shocking defensive performance sometime soon.

Liverpool-Leverkusen

Liverpool would be very disappointed if they didn't come through this one, although with the way Rafa has them playing and the shortness in their squad I don't know if theyre up to it. They should go through, Leverkusen are nothing compared to the team that made the final a few years back.

PSV-Monaco

Don't really care about this one, Monaco being the finalists from last season should start favourites but I don't think Deschamps has done well with his squad, on papaer it's far weaker without Giuly and Morientes and Flavio Roma is a bit of a clown in goal. I'm hoping the Dutchies go through but this one will be close.

Bayern-Arsenal

Last time around Bayern outclassed us at the Olympic Stadium and got a lucky draw at Highbury. I reckon it'll be something similar this time around. If Arsenal can get a positive result in Munich we can go through but at the end of the day Arsenal have been woeful defending set-pieces this season and Bayern are the most clinical set-piece team I've ever seen.

I'm tipping the Germans here unless Henry fires. If he does then Kuffour, Sagnol and Rau(if he plays) would worry me if I was a Bayern fan. Makaay getting a hattrick against Dortmund yesterday scares me a bit since Sol is out. Cygan is due a big performance anyway :D.

Porto-Internazionale

Porto still work very well as a cohesive team but they're nothing compared to the Deco inspired team we saw lat year. Maniche,Diego, Quaresma,Postiga and McCarthy are all excellent players but Inter should be favourties despite being the Italian equivalent of Spurs.

Man. United-Milan

This should be awesome. Both teams packed full of quality, but Sheva out, Ruud back in and the way Manyoo are playing at the moment makes me think they'll nick it. And seeing Brocchi play ahead of Dhorasoo and Ambrosini, both of whom are class makes me wonder a bit about Carlo's sanity. United just in this one.

Bremen-Lyon

Lyon are my dark horses for the tournament, they were stunning in the group stages 17 goals and only one loss in 26 games in France. They're attack looks pretty awesome with Juninho Pernambucano, Sylvain Wiltord, Frau, Govou and Essien, plus Coupet's an excellent keeper who marshalls his defence well. Lyon should go through, but as always German teams always hang in there so it should be good.

slip

HSC
Newcastle 1 Chelsea 0

Chelsea is out, and bridge broke his left ankle... Kluvert goal...Duff hurt is leg

matt#1

HSC
N/A
slip said:
Newcastle 1 Chelsea 0

Chelsea is out, and bridge broke his left ankle... Kluvert goal...Duff hurt is leg
hahaha...Chelsea's quadruple dream is over already :D They may as well just give the FA Cup to Man Utd right now.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, at least Chelsea can concentrate on the real competitions, ie. League (not League Cup) and European Cup.

Now we could be without Robben and Duff (our wingers / forwards / creative players... Cole doesn't count), Drogba (quick and strong forward), Terry (still suspended), Bridge (we are short on LB(!!!) even if Gallas fills in which would leave CB... and Huth is out). I knew Chelsea had a very depleted squad. Must go and by one LB and at least 3 world-class internationals.

But seriously... we are short on forwards with Drogba out, only Gud is left and he can't play lone striker for 3 games in 7 days. And what have we got left? Kezman, who besides not-scoring goal, hasn't settled into English football.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
PSV-Monaco

Don't really care about this one, Monaco being the finalists from last season should start favourites but I don't think Deschamps has done well with his squad, on papaer it's far weaker without Giuly and Morientes and Flavio Roma is a bit of a clown in goal. I'm hoping the Dutchies go through but this one will be close.

Bayern-Arsenal

Last time around Bayern outclassed us at the Olympic Stadium and got a lucky draw at Highbury. I reckon it'll be something similar this time around. If Arsenal can get a positive result in Munich we can go through but at the end of the day Arsenal have been woeful defending set-pieces this season and Bayern are the most clinical set-piece team I've ever seen.

I'm tipping the Germans here unless Henry fires. If he does then Kuffour, Sagnol and Rau(if he plays) would worry me if I was a Bayern fan. Makaay getting a hattrick against Dortmund yesterday scares me a bit since Sol is out. Cygan is due a big performance anyway :D.
You left out Rotham (and maybe Prso) in that list... they've essentially lost their left winger, right winger/forward, striker and striker. But that said, their replacements can score goals. PSV isn't such a bad bet, because they resemble Everton in the sense that without Robben and Kezman (no matter what you think of Kezman, he scored many many goals in Holland) you'd think they'd sink. But instead they've produced their best ECL results and the Dutch League isn't that bad either as they're well ahead of Ajax and Feyr.

As for Arsenal... that 5-1 win over a recently promoted side, isn't that much of a confidence booster. However, Bayern have one thing in common with Arsenal - they haven't done well in the ECL recently (whereas with Arsenal, I need not comment). Bayern should edge this one out, but neither will go far.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
for real vs juventus, i tip madrid...they seems to be playing really well under Luxenboug and juventus for the past few games have been struggling
as for psv vs monaco, PSV for sure...

i'm always surprised at how well a dutch club can recover when they lose their big name stars

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
everton/rooney syndrome.. once you get rid of the ego's or individuals you'll be fine. cos everton played around rooney. at man utd, rooney isn't that much of an individual cos there are so many stars.

funny thing is van bommel is still there after whinging the whole of last season and being linked to a german club in the off-season

^___^
HSC
van bommel was gonna go to everton wasn't he, but he turned it down and now spurs wants him...

but thing is...when rooney was in everton, he didn't start every game..hence why the departure wasn't such a big impact..beside, they scored macus bent who is doing well so far this season

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
... said:
van bommel was gonna go to everton wasn't he, but he turned it down and now spurs wants him...

but thing is...when rooney was in everton, he didn't start every game..hence why the departure wasn't such a big impact..beside, they scored macus bent who is doing well so far this season
apparently spurs aren't after him anymore or some crap.

Sure rooney didn't start every game but they also lost radzinski and, imo, an underrated lynchpin in david unsworth. And now they practically gave away there best player in graveson to madrid. Is moyes aware he's got some decent players that he should probably hold onto (although good luck stopping anyone going to madrid-unless of course you're samuel eto'o.)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
LOL @ Mourinho- Chelsea are down 1-0 at half time in the FA cup to the Magpies. 3 simultaneous half time changes later and Bridge is out for the season, and Duff is also out for the Carling Cup vs Liverpool :rolleyes:

^___^
HSC
Buggdogg said:
apparently spurs aren't after him anymore or some crap.

Sure rooney didn't start every game but they also lost radzinski and, imo, an underrated lynchpin in david unsworth. And now they practically gave away there best player in graveson to madrid. Is moyes aware he's got some decent players that he should probably hold onto (although good luck stopping anyone going to madrid-unless of course you're samuel eto'o.)

haha yea
but Moye did some important signings though, Cahill and Bent impressed me a lot

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
cahill is tops...far betta than rooney...the stupid idiot is so tempermental now, if he ahd a slightly less drunk-dickhead attitude he'd b a greater player...pity...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
braad said:
cahill is tops...far betta than rooney...the stupid idiot is so tempermental now, if he ahd a slightly less drunk-dickhead attitude he'd b a greater player...pity...
I have nothing against Cahill, and in fact I think he is a really good player, but If you think that Cahill is seriously better than Rooney...than it is you with the drunken-dickhead attitude.

On another note, the right midfielder that Mourinho intends to sign during the next transfer period is likely to be Joaquin, and not Ronaldo. This is good news for United fans.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
hmm
Cahill is a different player to Rooney man, its like comparing gerrard to van nisterooy :|

you can't compare players that play in diff positions

matt#1

HSC
N/A
ill be up for the Juve v Madrid game tomorrow, but still don't really have any idea about who will win. I hope Madrid wins though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)