Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch_07

HSC
The match everyone is waiting to see is Arsenal vs Chelsea at Highbury on December 12 by then ARSENAL will return back to the summit of the Barclays Premier league

Mitch_07

matt#1

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
It's grown a bit, but the top 3 have a good margin over the rest of the pack atm.
I'm still playing fantasy premier league and have been making steady progress each week, regularly featuring in the top 3 highest scores for the week in our league. I went from 7th to 4th last week, and despite the considerable margin of the top 3, I think I will catch them over the next few weeks.

By the way, did anyone watch the Australia vs. Norway match on SBS this morning? The score was 2- 2, but Australia outplayed the Norweigians in my opinion and can take many positives out of the game because norway is ranked 14 places higher in the FIFA rankings and we were able to put 2 goals past a largely defensive team. Tim Cahill was named man of the match and was all class.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I got up to watch the Aust v Norway match. And here's what I think. Viduka isn't in top form, but was alright (The so called 4-3-3 is so not right. It's 4-5-1 from what I could gather with Emo and Kewell operating almost exclusively on the flanks). The midfield was solid with the exception of the out-of-form Kewell who I don't think will ever be dropped by Farina. Cahill isn't a complete midfielder by a long shot but was our best man on the pitch. Emo put in some good yards and made a good contribution. Kewell is out of form, and that happens alot. Skoko played well as the screen. And Brec doesn't seem his usual self, albeit you could say he made an assist, and by packing the midfield he didn't have much space. The defense was funny. Schw seems to lack confidence, and didn't look like inspiring or leading the country - his contribution to the first goal - parry straight into the opposing player standing in the middle of defenders (and partially to the second - was he even looking at the ball?!). Stan didn't let the country down until he passed the half way mark of the pitch and was dispossessed time and again. The central pairing weren't that bad besides the few lapses. And Lucas did get forward at times, except only when Emo was operating down the right.

All in all, we need fewer lapses at the back. Midfield is where we have quality players and it'd be good to see the in form players =p

And when we play South American opposition, they will score because our defence will never be solid enough by the looks of things, so the question remains - will we find the goals cos we had a fair few shots last night but few actually finding the back of the net.

After Gameweek 13:
1 losers 726
2 Legendz FC 705
3 jacee fc 690
4 Red Devils F.C 656

5 Reno Allstars 654
6 Ziggy Arsedust 650
7 i-so-topes 649
8 Timbk2 United 633
9 fei_wa utd 627
10 Retards 625
11 Backyard United FC 617
12 Liverpool FC 611
13 NumeroUno 601
14 All Blacks 600
15 RUB!X FC 587
16 Small Fry F.C 558
17 BlueFire [s!nergy] 558
18 FC Club Maq 551
19 Tha_Kop 549
20 KopStarZ 531

Last edited:

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
man considering the way we've played in the past..ie against sth africa, jamaica and venezuela, i'd say we played pretty dam good and were unlucky not to score 3 or 4 goals....i personally had never seen the boys play that style ever...they played heaps more "european" than before...with the passing and the patient build ups which is typically english and italian...yes we need to sort ourselves out in defence but from defence onwards we were brilliant, except kewell and viduka who i thin r overrated badly. cahill, emmo and bresciano were brilliant and theyre the way forward for the socceroos...other than that norway had nuthing cos they basically defended for 80mins and were lucky with both goals...first the tap in by iverson and then pedersons lucky free kick

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Tim Cahill was clearly our best man on the park. Kewell was shit, and should be dropped cause all he does is take up space. That could be better used by another player. The team in general really dominated Norway, and at least we are seeing signs of a more logical and structured style of play. Not anymore of this boot the ball forward and see wat happens a.k.a Liverpool style of play. If we can just perfect this style and sack Kewell, then i reckon we have a good chance of qualifying for Germany 2006.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, there was more patient and stylish play but that said, it wasn't often enough (guess we can't complain tho). When the ball got to the final third it was like, something was wrong - Emo is not a forward, Kewell doesn't like finishing and Duks isn't quick enough up front alone).

As for luck - I have no doubt S American opposition would be luckier considering they won't just defend. The onus (since we were at "home") was on our team to score and I agree it should've been more like 3 or 4 to 1 or 2; but it wasn't.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Cahill and Bresciano is so mouth watering it's not funny. If they can get some games togethor then we can do brilliantly, especially when Aloisi comes back. Problem is we won't get to Germany with our defence the way they are currently. Australia have always had a good midfield and attack but our defending is a huge problem.

Playing a flat back 4 in full internationals when you don't have any world-class defenders is suicide. We need a good sweeper otherwise we'll get caught out again, and why is it that Schwarzer can look top class for Boro but second-rate whenever he plays for the socceroos?

Like flyin said, in South America they're not gong to sit back and pray for the best liek Norway did, the defending needs a big change if we are to go to Uruguay or Colombia etc and grind out favourable results.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It was so funny how they called Craig Moore - the spiritual leader of our defence (SBS). The main problem we face is that "that" was our best defence (without Moore). Kalac is better than Swartz. Our full backs aren't bad - Neill does well defensively and can get forward, and Laza doesn't let us down. But the central pairing aren't convincing. As for the screen, Skoko isn't bad, but he isn't good enough.

I reckon they could give Brec, Cahill, Emo all free roles behind Duks and Aloisi with someone decent screening the back four.

Anyway, can always take the Brazil approach - we score more than you!!! But as good as our midfield is, the strikers should contribute - Duks 3 goals for Australia isn't going to do it.

Sighs.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
A2RAYA said:
with the passing and the patient build ups which is typically english
Patient build ups is typically English...? That doesn't sound right.

Back to Australia, I think it's just that Australia hasn't played enough competetive games to consolidate its defence. There's no doubt that it looks more solid with Craig Moore back there, but still it doesn't look too convincing just yet.

And Kewell, he will never be dropped. I won't deny his talent, and to me he is the best Aussie player in his prime. But now he's out of shape and form, made a few terrible shots on goal, only good moment was that header which was saved by the Norway keeper, other than that, he performed quite poorly, although he did do better in the second half.

Viduka partnerin Aloisi sounds good to me. It would not be wise to hope to outscore South American teams with our soft defence. But since Farina likes this system, I don't know what will happen.

Uruguay's currently 5th, they're also playin pretty shitty. Hm...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
kewell's just in a very bad patch of form since those injury probs... he' should b back to his usual ways when qualification rolls around... but australia doesnt look confortable with 4-3-3...

shitty is relative to the sides u play, all the sth american sides bar bolivia would be challenging for the socceroos ...uruguay would be very tough again to play against i reckon....

sheva is carrying ukraine to the worldcup, id love to see them there... how shit is china tho lol, didnt even make the 2nd round despite winning 7-0, cuz kuwait won 6-1 haha... haan is so gone now

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
reno2004 said:
Kewell was shit, and should be dropped cause all he does is take up space. If we can just perfect this style and sack Kewell, then i reckon we have a good chance of qualifying for Germany 2006.
You're kidding right? He's coming off an injury and clearly not inhis best form, but to sack one of Australia's best if not best ever soccer players? You can say goodbye to Germany 2006.

Atm, I don't think Kewell is being used that well. I agree, he doesn't look comfortable/happy playing up as a striker. He plays in the midfield(left) for Liverpool, so it's hard all of sudden to make a switch up to forward. Viduka and Aloisi make a good combo, I think Kewell should play on the left wing or play just behind the strikers, where he can have good shooting opportunites and feed the strikers. His talent is being wasted by playing exclusively as a striker, and I don't like the way he has a "floating/roaming" role and he is switching wings throughout the game. He would terrorise left side defenders if he played on the wing. His passing and dribbling talent is not utilised because Farina insists he plays up forward, he would help create many more opportunities for the strikers if he played in the midfield.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Nope, Kewell's been shit for Liverpool as well. He obviously won't be dropped forever, he just needs a kick up the rear end to get him motivated again.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
how shit is china tho lol, didnt even make the 2nd round despite winning 7-0, cuz kuwait won 6-1 haha... haan is so gone now
LoL plz don't rub it in.
The HK keeper saved a penalty too. He should've let that one in so China can go through. :D

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Kewell isnt even playing well for Liverpool out on the left. Other aussie strikers are performing way better than Kewell at the moment and i think if Kewell is dropped, it will knock him into some good form, as he would know that he cant just fart around and still make the team.

Oh and our defence, well lets just say a lot is desired there. Moore needs to come back and we need someone else solid to fill the other CB role. The idea of letting bresciano, cahill and emo roam around is a good one, but i think that will cause a problem when it comes to playing the south american teams. They like to hold possession in the mid and therefore we need players that will keep their position and press the opponents, letting the midfielders roam wont do this.

Anyway, overall i reckon we have a good chance of making the world cup, as long as we steer clear of equador (damn altitude) and uruguay, who would beat us over 2 legs.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The free roles in midfield for Brec, Cahill and Emo would still work even with the opposition holding the ball. Cahill is a combative midfielder by nature and runs around tackling anyone anyway, so when we defend he will close down spaces (and doesn't deviate much from the center). Emo is like Cahill in that respect - works very very hard (and prefers the flanks). Brec isn't for defending - he can be the creative midfielder. And with a properly defensive midfielder, it should be enough.

I reckon play Aloisi and Viduka up front - like Shearer and Bellemy combo... is Aloisi quick? =p

We have no idea about the 5th place S American team, cos 4 points separate most of the teams from 5th and below.

Last edited:

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
total agree with flyin on brec,but 4-3-3 probably the best system for autralia for now.
the crappy defensive wasnt help by the midfield... i recon drop skoko for grella and move brec into playmaker, that gives the midfield more grunt and with emerton working up and down the right that should give the defense more cover while cahil oppurtunity to sneak into the box as well
of course this turns the formation into a more 4-5-1 but aus really only have one top class proper striker and should play to thier strength of utilsing attacking mids

Numero Uno

HSC
BAh todays results screwed up my fantasy premier league score :(

FT Manchester U. 2 - 0 Charlton Athletic

FT Arsenal 1 - 1 West Bromwich A.

FT Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Newcastle U.

FT Everton 1 - 0 Fulham

FT Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Liverpool

FT Norwich C. 2 - 1 Southampton

FT Chelsea 2 - 2 Bolton W.

FT Portsmouth 1 - 3 Manchester C.

who would have thought arsenal and chelsea dropping points !! against fuking West brom !!

HEH REAL MADRID GOT OWNED !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)