Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Actim is rubbish. How can the top Bolton player only be 32nd? We got six representatives in there, can't believe we got less than Villa, even though we finished in 6th and they finished 10th.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
DAILY STAR

* Liverpool are ready to make a £10m bid for Deportivo la Coruna striker Albert Luque.

* Middlesbrough will offer their striker Massimo Maccarone as bait to try and land Fulham defender Zat Knight, with Cottagers striker Andy Cole "seemingly on his way back to Blackburn".

* Newcastle have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Middlesbrough winger Bolo Zenden.

* Newcastle remain confident of signing Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker, but face a battle to hold on to Arsenal target Shay Given.

* Southampton have slapped a £7million price tag on Peter Crouch to try to put off Liverpool and Portsmouth.

* Everton and Charlton are keen on Auxerre's Zimbabwean striker Benjamin Mwaruwari.

* George Burley is set for an instant return to management at Millwall after quitting Derby yesterday.

* Coventry could offer Stern John in exchange for Sheffield United defender Danny Cullip, while Portsmouth defender Richard Duffy is to join Coventry on a season-long loan deal.

* Portsmouth are planning a bid for Racing Genk midfielder Koen Daerden.

THE SUN

* Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester United are joining forces to hope to persuade the Premier League to deduct points from Chelsea over the Frank Arnesen row.

* West Brom are hoping to sign Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

* Sunderland have turned their attentions once again to Charlton striker Francis Jeffers.

* Southampton want to sign West Ham striker Teddy Sheringham.

* Chelsea expect to secure the signing of AC Milan left-back Kakha Kaladze today, as well as preparing a £16million bid for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres.

* Derby are expected to try and get Preston boss Billy Davies to replace Millwall-bound George Burley at Pride Park.

* Deportivo la Coruna have told Liverpool to increase their £8million bid for striker Albert Luque to £12million.

DAILY MIRROR

* Spurs chairman Daniel Levy yesterday stormed out of peace talks with Chelsea over the Frank Arnesen row.

* Paul Ince wants to eventually succeed Glenn Hoddle as Wolves boss.

* Fulham are to move for Charlton striker Jason Euell Portsmouth are targeting Southampton striker Peter Crouch as well as Israeli frontman Yaniv Katan.

DAILY EXPRESS

* Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be told that new owner Malcolm Glazer will demand instant success.

DAILY MAIL

* Spurs are now ready to report Chelsea to the Premier League over the Frank Arnesen dispute.

Well thatz good newz at least.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
An open letter to Ashley Cole:

An Open Letter To Ashley Cole
Exiled In Newcastle

Tuesday, 7 June 2005 2:15 PM
LONDON (ARSENAL-MANIA) - Dear Ashley,

Last week I wrote a cheque for £1,295. Now I know to you that's probably small change (a good night's sleep will earn you more) but to me it's a lot of money. And why did I write that cheque? I'll tell you, as you probably have no idea. That's what my season ticket for Highbury is costing me next season. That works out a spit short of 50 quid every game (or maybe a pair of socks for you).

Now please don't get me wrong, I actually don't begrudge you your wages. I don't mind the fact that you'll earn more this year than most of us will probably earn in a lifetime. What does make me mad is hearing your representatives and lawyers bitching about how unfair the whole system is. I've even seen headlines comparing footballers contracts with slavery! If it wasn't so sickening the concept of multi-millionaire slaves would be a good sit-com idea.

Let's get it straight – all you're expected to do is honour your contract and not speak to other clubs (especially who and when) whilst you're supposed to be discussing a new contract with Arsenal. Not much really, is it.

Footballers have always been well paid in comparison to the average person, from way back when. The £8 a week players earned during the season (£4 summer) in the 30's was in no way excessive, but certainly a comfortable wage compared with the average worker. Even more so as the depression bit. The retain and transfer system in place then that lasted through to Jimmy Hill's campaign (with George Eastham as an uncomfortable figurehead) to change that and remove the maximum wage in the early 60's, which directly led to the first £100 footballers in this country (I believe Johnny Haines at Fulham was the first).

There was still a genuine injustice in the system though; in so much as even after a player had seen out their contract clubs could still demand a transfer fee. Bosman put an end to that, and whilst it wasn't good for football in general I couldn't disagree with the fairness of it being overturned.

But now we have your people bleating about how footballers are the modern slaves! Ashley, it's sickening in a world where genuine slavery still exists for someone on a reported £27,000 a week to be compared with them. Absolutely sickening. But with the self interest (and self importance) of players these days I'm in no way surprised to read it. Every day of the year, where ever you are and whatever you're doing you're earning nearly £4000. Some slavery. People to pander to your needs and pamper you (paid for by the club not you). Luxury travel everywhere you go (and don't start telling me that it's a hard life with all the travel – try schlepping 600 miles up and down the M1 to every home game like I do!). The best of everything. Even the clothes you 'work' in are provided for free! And I must point out that you appeared very happy with the contract when you feely signed it (or was that nasty Mr Dein holding a gun to your head?).

Now a dose of the real world for you. If you were there you'd know that us mortals only get paid when we're at work. We might be lucky enough to work for a firm with a subsidised canteen where we can eat our lunch – not the free canteen you get at the training ground. Like you we have to negotiate wage rises, but in the real world.

When I sign a contract for something it normally gives a period of notice each side has to give. I could be gone in a few weeks with no come back. You signed a contract where you were paid £27,000 every week for five years. It's called a fixed term contract and you agreed to honour it. Now you're not and it's 'poor you'. It's sickening.

Another sickening thing is when you say how you've always given Arsenal 100% on the pitch as if we should be grateful for that. Well we're not - we DEMAND it. Giving 100% is the absolute minimum that we should expect from players. Form may mysteriously come and go – we accept that – but you should be giving 100% as a matter of course.

Then I read your bleating article in the Sunday papers (the rag of rags no less – the horrible one that you and your agent said lied about the meeting happening). By the way – how much did you trouser for that article? £10k ... £20k? And Ashley – you make me sick to the pit of my stomach.

You say that you wanted £60k a week. Fair enough, I've got to admit I've never been shy about asking for a wage rise. But then you try to justify everything you did because Arsenal had the temerity not to completely acquiesce to your demands. It really is beyond belief.

Well, Ash, sod you and your snivelling agent (who expected Arsenal to pay him for you signing a new contract – he's your agent, you pay him!). And don't even try all this bull about feeling forced out of the club you (claim to) love, and how you feel you won't be able to put on your 'beloved' Arsenal shirt again. You did this. Not David Dein or the board. YOU.

When this story first broke I was strongly of the opinion that you shouldn't be judged until the commission had sat. I wouldn't boo you; I actively cheered you at games. I thought you really were 'one of us' who'd just got caught up in something by mistake. But you're not, you're one of 'them'. Just another footballer that doesn't give a toss about anyone but yourself.

If you though that sordid article was going to ingratiate you with the fans and that we'd think poor little Ash has been hard done by then you were wrong. Very wrong.

As far as I'm concerned I'm through with you. I hope you sod off somewhere (I've even seen Real Madrid touted – another example of you and principles ...) and your career nose-dives as most do when they leave Wenger's Arsenal. Mind you if I was on the board then the able Clichy would be first choice next season and you would rot in the reserves for two years. What would your earning potential be then?

If you ever actually read this and feel I've been unfair then contact me and I'll give you a chance to reply to any of the points. But you won't will you ... we're only fans. It's not like we matter to you.

Sincerely,
Exiled In Newcastle

From an Arsenal forum. I hope the cunt gets to read this one day.

slip

HSC
i find your sig quite ironic given that article and recent events at man utd.

i dunno if arsenal is share listed or whatever, but if it ever was it could only be years away from leaving you.

good read thou. and very true.

anyways im off to write a sit-com about multi-million air slaves.

HSC
O.M.G, O.M.G ... Inter fans are actually going to be in for a rude shock when we have been promised a "suprise signing!"

Click the link.

It will probably most likely be Chivu or Antonio Cassano but names like Ronaldinho, Robinho and Owen have been mentioned. Any one of these players + the likely signing of Solari from Real Madrid = one happy Inter supporter. :D

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
wow thats awesome :p
we now have another fan !!
is that upto 3 now?

T

timbk2

Italian Hotshot said:
O.M.G, O.M.G ... Inter fans are actually going to be in for a rude shock when we have been promised a "suprise signing!"

Click the link.

It will probably most likely be Chivu or Antonio Cassano but names like Ronaldinho, Robinho and Owen have been mentioned. Any one of these players + the likely signing of Solari from Real Madrid = one happy Inter supporter. :D
lol .. Ronaldinho, Robinho and Owen

good luck..

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Hey arsenal is trying to sign some belarus midfielder dont know the name..

if anyone knows who im talking about, is he any good?

oh yea, but so are chelsea (FUCK!)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
slip said:
i find your sig quite ironic given that article and recent events at man utd.

i dunno if arsenal is share listed or whatever, but if it ever was it could only be years away from leaving you.

good read thou. and very true.

anyways im off to write a sit-com about multi-million air slaves.
I'm sure I'd see the irony if Arsenal did ever go public, but at the moment it's not happening, at least untill the stadium is built.

As for footballer's being slaves. Pfft, it's the kind of slavery I've dreamt of all my life.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Seraph said:
Hey arsenal is trying to sign some belarus midfielder dont know the name..

if anyone knows who im talking about, is he any good?

oh yea, but so are chelsea (FUCK!)
Alexander Hleb from Stuttgart. He's very good. I believe he's having a medical at Arsenal this week, after Belarus' World Cup Qualifier.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Deloitte Report said:
Premiership Wage Bills for this season (Previous season in brackets)

Chelsea: £114.8m (£54.5m)
Man Utd: £76.8m (£79.5m)
Arsenal: £69.7m (£60.6m)
Liverpool: £65.6m (£54.4m)
Newcastle: £44.4m (£45.1m)

Unbeleivable.....

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
From soccernet:

Substitute striker Robin van Persie came on to help create two goals and score one himself as the Netherlands beat Finland 4-0 away on Wednesday to remain top of World Cup qualifying Group One.

Class

wanderlust

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Actim is rubbish. How can the top Bolton player only be 32nd? We got six representatives in there, can't believe we got less than Villa, even though we finished in 6th and they finished 10th.
True true...i found it funny though because i support Villa and my dad supports Bolton, it sucks though, my sister, who supports Chelsea is sitting from afar and laughing and laughing and laughing, stupid cow.

slip

HSC
who does everyone think australia will play for the final world cup spot.

i reckon it will be the winner of the chile - colombia match to be played september 3.

uruguay are 2 pts back, and have ecuador away (which is harder then brazil or argentina), colombia and argentina at home.

paraguay are another team we may face. i just hope we dont have to play ecuador. i think, and hope we will play chile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)