Society revision ideas and notes (1 Viewer)

rajeev

HSC
Hey! sorry im not here with answers.. im the guy that has the half-retired teacher who is now going to go for a month before trials!

well yeah sugar_plum suggested i asked about society here...

I just wanted to know which text book you guys think are best to revise with.. and how you go about getting prepared for society.

For me all I do is read a bit of my Heinneman text book and my old crappy handwritten notes..

I have the excel text book and its really bad.. barely covers everything and yeah its crap in general.

what text book do u guys work with?
also were do you guys look for practical examples of things.. ie. statistics for essays etc..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think there are only a limited selection of textbook available for S&C. The best one on the marketis the Heineman one. Use it wisely. It's got all the information you'll need. :)

Good luck!

leah1987

HSC
We have the bernie howitt heineman at school and its really good. It has a students (Jo'os ) storie etc in it and explains things real

Kulazzi

HSC
yeah, heinemann is WAY better than the excel one. More concise and easy to understand. Not too much content.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
i was thinking of buying the excel one as a guide- seeing as my teacher is using one to teach us neway...pfft. Is it worth the $30 it costs or just a waste of money?

rajeev

HSC
dont buy the excel one.. its really really bad.. its like going to confuse you to read it.. it just has stacks of sylabus chunks and doesnt explain anything.. just says it.. and has all open ended crap like you need to know how to do this.. without telling you how.. your better off not reading it lol

hi camzilla.. shean ruined our super happy fun family with her crappy stories that go no where.. :'(

chatherine

HSC
leah1987 said:
We have the bernie howitt heineman at school and its really good. It has a students (Jo'os ) storie etc in it and explains things real
ohmigod i hate jo, hate her hate her hate her. the whole book is like dedicated to jo, jo did this, jo likes this, jo went to vietnam, dam jo, i dont see a photo of jo in the book.... i wonder why that is ahah

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
chatherine said:
ohmigod i hate jo, hate her hate her hate her. the whole book is like dedicated to jo, jo did this, jo likes this, jo went to vietnam, dam jo, i dont see a photo of jo in the book.... i wonder why that is ahah
LOL!! :D But she was a very good S&C student.

mishka

HSC
N/A
yes, jo was a favourite in our society class too :p

i suggest you make sure you are familiar with the concepts of each topic - eg. globalisation, industrialisation etc. often essays require you to define the concepts so make sure you have a good definition ready!!

have a look at the syllabus and make sure you have covered the dot points for the core topics and your selected topics.

go to the thread "past exam papers" and familiarise yourself with the layout, wording of questions and have a go answering them. if there are any questions you are unsure of, go back to your notes and find the answers :D

i found the best way to study for SAC was to have logical diagrams. don't make notes too wordy - you'll only miss the detail when you "skim" over it!!

christfreak

HSC
heinnaman

yeah we hav the heinneman textbook, but we dont really use it. we use these notes that a teacher wrote years ago, which are just 30 or 40 pages of cloze passages for each topic. stupid cloze passages.

_Benji_

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
The Sydney Morning Herald.
ditto.
we never use the text books... just get notes from the broadsheets... and other s&c related books... lots of ABC radio/tv transcripts... culture scope articles and teachers notes.

I find the textbooks to be boring and a pretty bland overview of s&c... perfect way to ruin the course!

keep ur eyes open for stuff in the media on your case studies etc... its the best source.

Richwa

HSC
Well, Narara Valley High School is the luckiest school for HSC S&C as we have the Bernie Howitt, author of the Heinemann Textbook as our S&C teacher.

As for Jo, she was the smartest person in our schools history and was such a great S&C student that her work is the goal of all the S&C students at our school. She just had this such deep knowledge and understanding of all the concepts and just the course as a whole.

It is pretty cool that since our teacher wrote the syllabus, we can never go wrong!

Kulazzi

HSC
hey man, that's really cool. Is this the Jo that got her PIP featured in the heinemenn S&C? She's really good! And the heinemenn was much much better than the excel!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Richwa said:
Well, Narara Valley High School is the luckiest school for HSC S&C as we have the Bernie Howitt, author of the Heinemann Textbook as our S&C teacher.

As for Jo, she was the smartest person in our schools history and was such a great S&C student that her work is the goal of all the S&C students at our school. She just had this such deep knowledge and understanding of all the concepts and just the course as a whole.

It is pretty cool that since our teacher wrote the syllabus, we can never go wrong!
hmm, but no Band 6 for Narara this year? (2005 HSC)

Last edited:

Richwa

HSC
Yeah,

Jo's PIP was featured in the Heinemann, her work is a constant reference.

As for the Band 6 response, we have multiple SAC teachers, Bernie wasnt the teacher of the 2005 class of SAC at NVHS, they lucked out...

jaihson

HSC
I disagree with many of you....I thought the Excel one was fantastic for Continuity and Change and Popular Culture. I can't say I used it much for belief systems though. But yeah, I think I would have been lost without that one personally. It helped clarify alot, and I gained a much better understanding of the topics by using it.
Ah well, everyone to their own. I guess thats the beauty of SAC.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Richwa said:
Yeah,

Jo's PIP was featured in the Heinemann, her work is a constant reference.

As for the Band 6 response, we have multiple SAC teachers, Bernie wasnt the teacher of the 2005 class of SAC at NVHS, they lucked out...
ah I see.

Just out of curiosity, what did Jo ended up getting in S&C?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)