SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Kirsty Xx said:
HSC SUBJECT ARE OF PERSONAL CHOICE, AND IF A UNIVERSITY COURSE DETAILS PARTICULAR PREREQUISITES THEN WHAT IS THE STUDENT TO DO?
Biology isn't a prerequisite for any university courses though. If you plan to study bio at uni, it's recommended you study chemistry and/or maths.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Graney said:
Biology isn't a prerequisite for any university courses though. If you plan to study bio at uni, it's recommended you study chemistry and/or maths.
I wasn't talking about Biology in particular, just any number of subjects that a univeristy course requires, that the OP detailed as "soft".

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cannibal.horse said:
Mate check out the 2004-2005 hsc scaling patterns (on this website). Out of 50 points per unit:
SOR II - 31
Phyics - 32
Chem - 35

And SOR has gone up.
You obviously are not right. That is no way in hell that SOR II would have scaling that is even comparable to Physics or Chemistry.

HSC
kaz1 said:
I thought you were talking about last year. The average 2007 average scaled mark per unit in the subject we are talking about are:

Chemistry- 31.3/50
Physics- 30.2/50
SOR II- 27.7/50
I didn't see the 2007 scaled marks, though I heard they had been the best year yet.

wow religion has really dropped since previous years, I take back what I said.

Though if you're a humanities driven kid the 'hardcore' subjects are still:
- the 2 extensions (english and history though history is a bitch)
- Modern history
- SOR II
- any high scaling languages

Plus some average ones:
- ancient history
- Legal
- Geography

Dota55

HSC
In my opinion, my definition of "soft" subjects are those that require a person to simply memorise facts. Sure, its a lot of work, but it doesn't require a person with a set amount of natural intelligence to do well. To me, in determining a "soft" subject, scaling isn't important, rather its whats required from the subject thats important.

Subjects such as Mathematics Extension 2, English Extension 2, Physics, and so on are some of the more "hard" subjects, because they require a person to develop and to utilise skills that go beyond simply learning a bunch of facts and reproducing them in an exam (although...you could argue otherwise for physics, what with the syllabus changes and all).

lyounamu said:
You obviously are not right. That is no way in hell that SOR II would have scaling that is even comparable to Physics or Chemistry.
No, thats right. A lot of the better students take up SORII, and i know plenty of people who take up Physics and Chemistry that don't do terribly well at it.

Methinks you don't fully understand how scaling works :)

Last edited:

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
He only wishes to aggrandise himself. I don't really like the Science/Math subjects because they just seem like skill-based work to me - that's not to say I'm bad at them (even though I kind of am, haha), just that they aren't as extensive and thought-provoking as the humanities.

HUMANITIES SH*T OVER SCIENCES, haha.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
haha wow, the war between scaling knowledge.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dota55 said:
In my opinion, my definition of "soft" subjects are those that require a person to simply memorise facts. Sure, its a lot of work, but it doesn't require a person with a set amount of natural intelligence to do well. To me, in determining a "soft" subject, scaling isn't important, rather its whats required from the subject thats important.

Subjects such as Mathematics Extension 2, English Extension 2, Physics, and so on are some of the more "hard" subjects, because they require a person to develop and to utilise skills that go beyond simply learning a bunch of facts and reproducing them in an exam (although...you could argue otherwise for physics, what with the syllabus changes and all).

No, thats right. A lot of the better students take up SORII, and i know plenty of people who take up Physics and Chemistry that don't do terribly well at it.

Methinks you don't fully understand how scaling works :)
Speaking of scaling system, huh? How much do you know about it then? I think it is you who needs to put your fingers out and learn something.

How can you say that SOR II's current scalng is of comparable scaling to Physics' and Chemistry's. Epic fail for you. Refer to kaz1's post and I am sure that what he said is true as I have 2007 scaling report myself.

By the way, in the past 5 years, SOR II never had scaling above 30.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
if given the option to start again i would have done general math and probably a few other bludge courses.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Telekinetik said:
He only wishes to aggrandise himself. I don't really like the Science/Math subjects because they just seem like skill-based work to me - that's not to say I'm bad at them (even though I kind of am, haha), just that they aren't as extensive and thought-provoking as the humanities.

HUMANITIES SH*T OVER SCIENCES, haha.
Let's complain about someone talking shit about my subjects by talking shit about his?

But lol at the bolded bit.

Dota55

HSC
lyounamu said:
Speaking of scaling system, huh? How much do you know about it then? I think it is you who needs to put your fingers out and learn something.

How can you say that SOR II's current scalng is of comparable scaling to Physics' and Chemistry's. Epic fail for you. Refer to kaz1's post and I am sure that what he said is true as I have 2007 scaling report myself.

By the way, in the past 5 years, SOR II never had scaling above 30.
:)

....i think someone needs a hug..

tau281290

HSC
primeobjective said:
personally i dont think that pe is a soft subject their is a fair bit of content to remember and can sometimes be actually be quite difficult, i am not saying that it is like math ext 1/2 or physics or anythig like that, but it definitley is not like standard english or general maths. anyone else agree??
Anything scales below average is a "soft subject" (i think that's what the thread starter meant). PDHPE scales below, so do general maths and stnd eng.

Although biology scales bad, it is still scales higher than average, only slightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)