Some help please? (1 Viewer)

Puff

HSC
Hi, this is my first time posting here. Could anyone recommend me some good english textbooks? It would be best if it came in a series, as I am not in my senior years yet. I had a look at excel hsc textbooks but most people have said that they are awful. Thanks everyone!

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
English does not require textbooks! Read your texts multiple times! Make sure you gain a deep understanding of all the main characters, the themes within the text and how they relate to your unit of work. If you do feel as if you're not confident you can always look through some notes of the text that you're looking at, but a textbook is not required.

Puff

HSC
Thank you for the fast reply! Where would I be able to find the HSC syallbus for english and could anyone please recommend any texts?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
English does not require textbooks! Read your texts multiple times! Make sure you gain a deep understanding of all the main characters, the themes within the text and how they relate to your unit of work. If you do feel as if you're not confident you can always look through some notes of the text that you're looking at, but a textbook is not required.
I can definitely vouch for this advice 100%.

If you're looking for the HSC syllabus for English: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-syllabus-from2010.pdf

SweetRapture

HSC
Thank you for the fast reply! Where would I be able to find the HSC syallbus for english and could anyone please recommend any texts?
The best way to study for English is to listen in class, as the teacher usually pinpoints specific techniques, features and ideas that are important; to develop your own points and ideas (that's where you get the marks in HSC and in exams, for your own creativity) and to continuously write practice essay's and past papers and get your teacher to mark them and give you feedback on how to improve. English is more about what you make of it and also, HSC markers know when ideas come from textbooks such as excel and Cambridge and what not so try to avoid relying on them only. Other than that you should be fine!!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But just bear in mind that the English syllabus may not be very useful for year 11 and below because English, by its nature, is extremely broad and each school do different text combinations-so it is best to consult your school for specific texts to study before hand-study guides should be consulted to increase your personal understanding, not replace it, and by the time you do the HSC, it is most likely to be a whole new syllabus-so be aware of that change as well

I think books by excel on essay writing and perhaps books on creative writing might by a more generalised and useful guide for improving your English skills... but to do well in English, it is just practice, feedback, practice, feedback-unfortunately there is no short cuts at all...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)