some one who got a 97.30 ATAR without studying? (2 Viewers)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
I seem to be confused with this, so I'm hoping someone here would help.

A student I tutored for English, Religion and Physics, did absolutely v.little study at all. I mean she would follow her work as in understand concepts, but would never do her homework and even the two days before the exam when I questioned her, she knew basically nothing. I forcefully made her write essays for English and made her memorise them in class with me, because I was honestly worried she would not do too well. so, that perhaps justifies her English marks. However what I fail to understand is how she could not know almost anything 2 days before her exams and get that ATAR?
When I asked her, she said, She stayed up the entire night before each exam and crammed in whatever she could have, but I still think any ATAR above 95 + is for those who work hard.
so the only thing I can come to conclude is that she is ridiculously bright? but is this possible?

and I know she isn't lying, because I saw her results

michaeljennings

HSC
lol why would she pay for a tutor and not put in any effort at all, seems like a massive waste of money

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know if it is possible, and personally im skeptical about it, but if it is true, its a comforting thought

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
lol why would she pay for a tutor and not put in any effort at all, seems like a massive waste of money
I think she wanted to study, but didn't actually study - if that makes sense.
She would concentrate in class, but she would not go home and consolidate it at all. so she was sort of interested... If you get what I mean? This girl confuses the life out of me!

michaeljennings

HSC
i dont know if it is possible, and personally im skeptical about it, but if it is true, its a comforting thought
+1 i would be less skeptical if she didnt have acehscwebsite as a tutor.

She's either rather bright or shes one of those students that pretends like she doesnt know anything but they actually do. We had a fair few of them at Baulkham Hills but they werent very subtle

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I think she wanted to study, but didn't actually study - if that makes sense.
She would concentrate in class, but she would not go home and consolidate it at all. so she was sort of interested... If you get what I mean? This girl confuses the life out of me!
whats done is done. she's lucky it worked out like it did and i hope she got into the course she wanted at uni (if thats what she was aiming for)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
+1 i would be less skeptical if she didnt have acehscwebsite as a tutor.

She's either rather bright or shes one of those students that pretends like she doesnt know anything but they actually do. We had a fair few of them at Baulkham Hills but they werent very subtle
possibly because I knew how hard I had to work for my ATAR and it annoys me when people get so high without trying.
and dw, I'm not promoting tutoring or anything, I don't even charge her, she is a family friend!

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
possibly because I knew how hard I had to work for my ATAR and it annoys me when people get so high without trying.
and dw, I'm not promoting tutoring or anything, I don't even charge her, she is a family friend!
what ATAR did you get? but yes, i envy those who pull off fantastic marks with little effort...if only it were that easy :(

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
of course its possible. some people are absolute freaks lol

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
what ATAR did you get? but yes, i envy those who pull off fantastic marks with little effort...if only it were that easy :(
99.75!
I know and 97.30 is a ridiculously good ATAR tbh, so it just annoys me! oh well, may be she is just super brilliant, if she had only put in consistent effort 99.95 would have been on her plate!

michaeljennings

HSC
ohh i wasnt having a go at you or anything. It makes more sense now though that you didnt charge her. Because I dont know of anyone who would wanna spend money being tutored and not put in any effort.

She probably just paid enough attention in class. What was her school rank btw?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
fantastic ATAR!! :D but like b00m said, some people are just crazy smart without doing a thing :)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
ohh i wasnt having a go at you or anything. It makes more sense now though that you didnt charge her. Because I dont know of anyone who would wanna spend money being tutored and not put in any effort.

She probably just paid enough attention in class. What was her school rank btw?
haha!
I'm not too sure, but around 60 I think might be +/- 5.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
fantastic ATAR!! :D but like b00m said, some people are just crazy smart without doing a thing :)
Thanks.
I guess so, some people are naturally gifted. I just get irritated by the fact that they could actually get 99.95 if they try hard enough. She just got lucky!

enoilgam

HSC
I seem to be confused with this, so I'm hoping someone here would help.

A student I tutored for English, Religion and Physics, did absolutely v.little study at all. I mean she would follow her work as in understand concepts, but would never do her homework and even the two days before the exam when I questioned her, she knew basically nothing. I forcefully made her write essays for English and made her memorise them in class with me, because I was honestly worried she would not do too well. so, that perhaps justifies her English marks. However what I fail to understand is how she could not know almost anything 2 days before her exams and get that ATAR?
When I asked her, she said, She stayed up the entire night before each exam and crammed in whatever she could have, but I still think any ATAR above 95 + is for those who work hard.
so the only thing I can come to conclude is that she is ridiculously bright? but is this possible?

and I know she isn't lying, because I saw her results
Whenever I hear the whole "I got [insert great result here] and I did hardly any study" I get really skeptical because most of the time, its either a great exaggeration or an outright lie. I made this post on another thread a couple weeks ago, and I'm reposting it because I think it might have some relevance here

Anyways, that issue aside, the problem with the whole "how much work do you do argument" is that its hard to get a straight answer from people, and the reasons are as follows:

1) In the pre-HSC years, people are lead to believe that the HSC requires some enourmous and seemingly inhuman effort. Whilst the HSC does require a big effort, its not as significant as your led to believe in the earlier years. So when people actually do the HSC, they often think that their efforts arent enough as they fail to compare to their unrealistic idea of what the HSC requires.

2) People often feel guilty when they dont study, and this leads them to conclude that their effort was lousy. There are 24 hours in a day, 8 of which are spent sleeping (on average). Although this leaves 16 hours left in a day, you cannot spend every minute studying, you need to rest and eat otherwise you will burn yourself out. Many HSC students feel guilty when they take breaks or dont use most of their waking hours to study. This guilt leads students to believe that they didnt try their best.

3) For some reason, people would much rather say "I got a [insert huge ATAR] and I didnt do lots of work" as opposed to saying "I got [insert huge ATAR] and I put in a great effort".

4) Most people who get great ATAR's are very critical of themselves, which leads them to believe that they did not put in their best. The ironic thing is that this self-criticism helps people to achieve great results.

5) Definitions of study and work vary from person to person. Some people do not consider writing study notes to be a form of study, nor do they consider making a consistant effort with homework and classwork to be anything special. The fact is, the average student who gets around 70 would probably not even make a consistant effort in class or with homework.

In my opinion, most people who get a great ATAR, put in a significant amount of effort to get there. Whilst this effort varies due to natural intelligence, the whole line "I got a great ATAR and I bludged" is not true in the vast majority of circumstances. I know most people will probably beg to differ with this post, but thats my honest opinion.
Also, as a teacher its hard to tell the exact amount that a person does. I remember teachers telling my mates parents that he was a bludger and needed to put in more effort. However, what they didnt realise was that he was putting in alot of effort at home - but they only knew what they could see.

Last edited:

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Whenever I hear the whole "I got [insert great result here] and I did hardly any study" I get really skeptical because most of the time, its either a great exaggeration or an outright lie. I made this post on another thread a couple weeks ago, and I'm reposting it because I think it might have some relevance here
I get where you're coming from, but those are usually people who study hard. I would perhaps use that excuse.
but I know for certain that this kid, didn't know anything 2 days before her exams. I mean she completely understood concepts, but you need to study them aswell, just not understand and she hadn't done any of the studying bit and I kid you not she didn't do a SINGLE past paper. Hence why I'm venting my anger on this forum!

michaeljennings

HSC

Also, as a teacher its hard to tell the exact amount that a person does. I remember teachers telling my mates parents that he was a bludger and needed to put in more effort. However, what they didnt realise was that he was putting in alot of effort at home - but they only knew what they could see.
+1, i remember in junior school all the Year 12s made out the HSC to be something ridiculously hard and I thought I would have to spend every minute of the day studying for the HSC exams. Year 12 was definitely not as intense as people had made it out to be

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
+1, i remember in junior school all the Year 12s made out the HSC to be something ridiculously hard and I thought I would have to spend every minute of the day studying for the HSC exams. Year 12 was definitely not as intense as people had made it out to be
I would agree, I did so much out of school and the HSC was just another exam but one which mattered to a certain extent. IMO, the HSC wasn't too hard, just required consistency, well at my school at least!

michaeljennings

HSC
I would agree, I did so much out of school and the HSC was just another exam but one which mattered to a certain extent. IMO, the HSC wasn't too hard, just required consistency, well at my school at least!
mmm true, I never really made it out to be a big deal, but then I sorta mucked up my external exams cos the pressure kinda got to me. My internals were all roughly 2 marks higher than my externals. Luckily I had put in a consistent effort throughout the year and achieved decent ranks

enoilgam

HSC
She stayed up the entire night before each exam and crammed in whatever she could have, but I still think any ATAR above 95 + is for those who work hard.
Well, if she spent 15 hours (guess) studying for each subject the day before each exam, this could be considered the equivalent of a person spending an hour a day on a subject with 15 days to go to the exam. If she did this for every subject she had (lets say 5) she would have complied a total 75 hours, which is still significantly more than most students would do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)