Some teachers unfair with marking..? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey

I was wondering if anyone finds that teachers are not justifed with their marking?

For example, this happens to my friend and I quite often, a teacher awards a mark and writes it on the exam paper or whatnot and then crosses it out and gives it a lower mark.

This has happened to me quite a few times especially, in subjects like Legal and Ancient. Usually I approach the teacher and asks them which mark it is, because they have a tendency to write the new mark over the old one. More often than not, the response is the lower mark. Anyway, then when i ask for some feedback, they can't substantiate or justify their marking.

For example, in Legal i got 23/25 for my crime extended response, although the original mark was higher. The teacher's response to my question was that he marked me harder than other students in the class because I am currently ranked first and he felt that it's good to mark me harder in order to give me something to aim for. He also said the cliched phrase 'There's always room for improvement' and while i know this is true, why do teachers feel the need to dock someone of a few marks to give them that room.

Do you think this is right?

I am sick of teachers taking off marks just to give me something to aim for. I mean if you deserve 100%, then you should get it. i think teachers take the view that if they give you 100, then you will slacken off. But for me, even if i get 100, it doesn't make me feel like i should slacken off, quite the opposite actually. It's more like - hmm, how can I attain that next time.

Another example, is in my Ancient Half Yearly. I received 99% and when the teacher gave back the exam, she said she couldn't fault it in any way possible and said she had to go through it with a fine tooth comb to find something, even thought there was no justification as to what she exactly found.

So in short, do you think it is right to be docked marks, when you have in fact achieved them?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
slowjam10 said:
Hey

I was wondering if anyone finds that teachers are not justifed with their marking?

For example, this happens to my friend and I quite often, a teacher awards a mark and writes it on the exam paper or whatnot and then crosses it out and gives it a lower mark.

This has happened to me quite a few times especially, in subjects like Legal and Ancient. Usually I approach the teacher and asks them which mark it is, because they have a tendency to write the new mark over the old one. More often than not, the response is the lower mark. Anyway, then when i ask for some feedback, they can't substantiate or justify their marking.

For example, in Legal i got 23/25 for my crime extended response, although the original mark was higher. The teacher's response to my question was that he marked me harder than other students in the class because I am currently ranked first and he felt that it's good to mark me harder in order to give me something to aim for. He also said the cliched phrase 'There's always room for improvement' and while i know this is true, why do teachers feel the need to dock someone of a few marks to give them that room.

Do you think this is right?

I am sick of teachers taking off marks just to give me something to aim for. I mean if you deserve 100%, then you should get it. i think teachers take the view that if they give you 100, then you will slacken off. But for me, even if i get 100, it doesn't make me feel like i should slacken off, quite the opposite actually. It's more like - hmm, how can I attain that next time.

Another example, is in my Ancient Half Yearly. I received 99% and when the teacher gave back the exam, she said she couldn't fault it in any way possible and said she had to go through it with a fine tooth comb to find something, even thought there was no justification as to what she exactly found.

So in short, do you think it is right to be docked marks, when you have in fact achieved them?
I think it would be VERY unfair and totally wrong for a teacher to give lower marks so that you 'can have something to aim for' !
There is no integrity in that.
I dont really think most teachers would do that though?
One thing to consider I think, is that the higher marks are harder to get. I mean- i think it is easier to improve a 85% to a 90% than it is a98% to a 100% (that is just my experience)

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Sometimes teachers award a mark, then after marking other papers decide to dock an extra mark from yours.They also go off other people's work: if another paper gets the same mark as yours, but is just that bit better, they'll take a mark off yours. It's not always a matter of you having done something particularly wrong, it's just that the work is not quite at 100% standard. That said, no it is not fair if your teachers dock you marks if you HAVE reached that standard.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
theshortykatt said:
my teachers go through papers/assessments a few times to make sure they are being fair.

also, use your board of studies student numbers for as many things as you can.. (this only works if everyone uses them)
that way, the only way to tell one students work from another's is the handwriting.
In ancient history we used to use pseudonyms on our papers and then sort them out later so that the marks could be recorded to our names, so that no-one could complain about bias.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
at our school, if you think it was unfairly mark you could have it checked again by another teacher. although there is a chance that you may get a lower mark. :/

seano77

Walk On
HSC
If your assessment is comparatively better or worse than those in your class, then the teacher will mark accordingly. If the teacher doesn't give you the full marks, then its not relevent whether you deserve them or not. Teachers opinion counts.

Normally teachers, if they want to extend you and the class, will mark to a standard that they would expect at the end of the year. You may think that you are at that standard, but as the year progresses and you do more work, your expression and use of language in essays will improve. Thus, you may be doing the right things, but as the year goes on the sophistication of your answers will improve.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I got 100% in economics for one of the assessments.
Eonomics is good because there is a pretty strict marking criteria.

Roguedeth

HSC
yeah that's what i like with maths either you get the mark or not none of this bullshit

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

not really.. guy in my class had an argument with the teacher about him mistaking an F for an E.. it was a circle geometry question and there was no E on the diagram.. The teacher still wouldn't give him the marks cause he was convinced that it was an E.. likewise happened with the same teacher and a different student..

but then that could just be a really really really slack teacher?

karnage

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I got 100% in economics for one of the assessments.
Eonomics is good because there is a pretty strict marking criteria.
Class mates said i got 100% for my eco assessment, of course i was stoked. Only to find out that it got crossed out and i got two marks taken away so i got 96% but anyways, i guess its not relevant since everyone lost a couple of marks also.

Same thing happened in chemistry, i supposedly came first. Didn't believe them, ended up coming 2nd.

shoutoutloud

HSC
Hey all I know im only in prelim year but if you find that your mark is unfair go to your subject coordinator and ask her/him to remark it then if that your mark should have been higher i would go back to the orginally teacher and confront her with your feeling and hopefully beable to get a better mark. I believe that every task is an individual mark so they cant mark you down for something they dislike you for.
Claire

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
not really.. guy in my class had an argument with the teacher about him mistaking an F for an E.. it was a circle geometry question and there was no E on the diagram.. The teacher still wouldn't give him the marks cause he was convinced that it was an E.. likewise happened with the same teacher and a different student..

but then that could just be a really really really slack teacher?
That's a mistake on behalf of the student to write something remotely like an F.

You can't really argue that math is even mildly subjective.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
I have a teacher who's without a doubt the most favouritist marker in the HSC. Her son being in the class doesn't help it one bit either.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Telekinetik said:
I have a teacher who's without a doubt the most favouritist marker in the HSC. Her son being in the class doesn't help it one bit either.
That's allowed to happen? At our school, we've had two teacher/parents, but their sons are never allowed in their classes.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
eww...I have this History teacher who gave my group 16/20 for a presentation. We included sources (old newspapers), made a poster (with a timeline), had plenty of pictures, and maps of our personality. We came like second ish. Another group got 20/20 and they made a powerpoint. They had pictures, but no maps, timelines or any sources. It's because of this guy in that group that my teacher really likes. I score higher than that guy in exams but he always scores higher in assignments. It makes me so pissed!! thats why I never try that hard in my assignments anymore :vcross:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
eww...I have this History teacher who gave my group 16/20 for a presentation. We included sources (old newspapers), made a poster (with a timeline), had plenty of pictures, and maps of our personality. We came like second ish. Another group got 20/20 and they made a powerpoint. They had pictures, but no maps, timelines or any sources. It's because of this guy in that group that my teacher really likes. I score higher than that guy in exams but he always scores higher in assignments. It makes me so pissed!! thats why I never try that hard in my assignments anymore :vcross:
True. There are a lot of 'teachers' pets' who take advatange of their statuses. I might be one of the 'teachers' pets' but when it comes to assessment, we hand them with student number in. So, that prevents prejudice.

However, when it comes to speech task & visual presentation task, there are two teachers there (again to prevent any existing prejudice).

Zephyrio

HSC
tommykins said:
That's a mistake on behalf of the student to write something remotely like an F.

You can't really argue that math is even mildly subjective.
I think you can. But only because of working and setting out; one teacher may disagree with another teacher about it, and hey look what happens in exams.

Zephyrio

HSC
nerdsforever said:
Omg, a Seftoner! lol
Hi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)