Someone explain how bad is general maths scaled? (1 Viewer)

minianne123

HSC
Uni Grad
What is expected to be achieved in general maths and how bad is the scaling?
..say if i got 80 in general would that pull me down by a lot?

worse than a 70 in adv. eng?

.. i'm still a bit clueless about scalings.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
it is very bad. you need to get a 90+ raw mark in order to do well.
e.g. 100 raw mark is CAPPED at 91.
so yeah to get the 80, I think you'd have to get 90+, if not mid 80s

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
an 80 could pull you down to 70s

it scales worse than eng adv, to answer your question

Ferox

HSC

That's a graph of the HSC mark (x-axis) vs scaled mark (y-axis). The red curve's general maths, and the green curve's advanced English. The blue curve's Ext 2 maths, which I threw in there for comparision (one of the highest scaled subjects). So an 80 in gernal maths isn't too far off an 80 in advanced English, but for marks above 80 the difference becomes more pronounced. Also, the highest scaled mark for g-unit was ~90, compared to ~100 for the other subjects.

It's based on this report:
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

That's a graph of the HSC mark (x-axis) vs scaled mark (y-axis). The red curve's general maths, and the green curve's advanced English. The blue curve's Ext 2 maths, which I threw in there for comparision (one of the highest scaled subjects). So an 80 in gernal maths isn't too far off an 80 in advanced English, but for marks above 80 the difference becomes more pronounced. Also, the highest scaled mark for g-unit was ~90, compared to ~100 for the other subjects.

It's based on this report:
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf
Is that Graphmatica?

yups

HSC
it's not that bad.. my friend got band 5s for all her subjects except general maths (high band 4), but she still got an atar of 92

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
What is expected to be achieved in general maths and how bad is the scaling?
..say if i got 80 in general would that pull me down by a lot?

worse than a 70 in adv. eng?

.. i'm still a bit clueless about scalings.
1. Are you enjoying General maths?
2. Can you achieve in General maths?
3. If you did 2U Maths, would you do any better?
4. Do you have enough maths to accomplish the maths in the course you want to do after school?
5. Are you being realistic about the course you want to do and the marks you would require to do it?

With all that in mind, just do your best, enjoy the subject, study as best you can and don't worry about scaling. It will certainly worry about itself.

Fri3d_ChuckuN-

HSC
I'm doing 3 unit maths right now and I think general maths is one of the worst subjects in terms of the scaling. For those doing general, I recommend you either drop general or go to 2 unit if you think you're not capable of a solid band 6

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I'm doing 3 unit maths right now and I think general maths is one of the worst subjects in terms of the scaling. For those doing general, I recommend you either drop general or go to 2 unit if you think you're not capable of a solid band 6
I was a general candidate, I was ranked first in the pathway for Y10 (and did very well in year 9, not sure of marks) and am currently doing 2u. It's a big change, what should be revision work is learning stuff for the first time.

Although in the OP's case where they started 3u it's the logical option to drop to 2u and you can drop at any time to general

PC

HSC
N/A
The scaling changes every year. If the paper is relatively easy (as last year's was), then it's naturally harder to get a higher scaled mark. If the paper is harder, then less people will get the high raw marks, so scaling isn't so harsh (so to speak).

Look. The bottom line is that you have to do the best that you can do. Everything else is out of your control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)