Sophie's World (1 Viewer)

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Actually i've seen this book lying around at my cousin's house. It sounds very philosophical - about a girl named Sophie who starts getting all these weird and strange letters, right? I wouldn't mind having a read of it - but i'm a tad bit busy with some other stuff i've got to read.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It's pretty much a rundown of basic philosophical ideologies. It's good if you've always wanted to get into philosophy but don't know where to start; it's a good summary. The plot is cool too IMO - I really enjoy Gaarder's books.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
I thought it was a bit draining - ideology after ideology. I dont recommend it to anyone in a cynical mood.

I enjoyed Maya, i want to read that for the first time again!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
my brother is reading this for year8 english; and its a text set by the english teacher

now that is seriously wrong

wait till i dig up a photo of his last year year 7 final english exam, its like HSC how scary

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I've read it quite a few times. Damn good book in my opinion.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I read it in yr 9 philosophy.. good as an intro to philosophy, poor plotwise though. Nevertheless it's a good place to start for anyone taking an interest in philosophy.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Read the first chapter, put it down as I was bored shitless. But I'm not a huge philosophy fan anyway.

aud

HSC
Ahh... Gaarder... I liked his books on Solitaire and Christmas, but then I read that small green one of his and it completely turned me off him... but I've tried to read Sophie's World a few times - not really my thing... but I was also only 10 when I tried :D

<<lauren>>

i read it for year 9 philosophy - we only had to read a small section for philosophy, but i persisted and read the whole book, which completely ruined the portion set for class. it was too strange and obscure for my liking - Sophie just didnt react the way any person, normal or otherwise, ever would and it was so off putting!!

lexxie_lizzie

what sort of school did you go to that teaches philosophy in year 9?!?! i want one!
i have read it, but i found it a bit pointless. it's a great intro to the BASICS of philosophy, but its not good in any other ways, a friend of mine loves it, she was the one who got me to read it.
btw: it isnt a good idea to read it when you have a bad flu that makes you have occassional hallucinations. philosophical thoughts + hallucinations don't have a good result.
anyway, im more of a lotr freak, and terry pratchett, and mythology, and scotland, and caravaggio, and androcles and the lion, and, QUEEN
i love queen
fantasmogorical
and les mis
last friday, i went singing down to the train station singing "At the end of the day". very appropriate, and very fun. especially when a friend is singing every alternative part.
then there's bohemian rhapsody, and that stuff is simply FANTASMOGORICAL
anyway, this rambling has to stop, so i'll shut up now
ps: i like to collect autographs, can i have yours?
pps: *skithouse idea*prostitute: come with me and i'll show you a good time, misc guy: ok darling, prostitute: YAY, OFF TO WONDERLAND WE GO!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by lexxie_lizzie
what sort of school did you go to that teaches philosophy in year 9?!?!
my lil bro is in year 8 and they have to read the whole book

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
We can do philosophy at any time. Junior school= philosophy 1 and 2 (read Sophies World in 1), and yr 11 the board endorsed version of philosophy.

Kirsti

HSC
We did philosophy as part of English in either 9 or 10, can't remember which, but it wasn't offered after that.
Had to read Sophie's for it. I didn't like it much. Too much information in too short a book. Hurt my head

Last edited:

<<lauren>>

my teacher developed a board (endorsed i think) course for philosophy for the sc, which was a basic introduction to philosophy from the greeks to christianity, islam and judaism to the dark ages and then the renaissance...it was a pretty good class too because it was kept small (12 in a class in junoir school was pretty cool!) because the teachers nominated people to be in it.

malayz_angel

I read it...in Year Nine, I think...I loved that book and also 'The Solitaire Mystery.' I am now doing philosophy as part of my course at uni...I should dig that book back up and go read Aristotle's parts!

miss_pie

HSC
i read it in year 8 as an english assignment when we could read any book and practice essay writing on it. i think id read it just before we got the assignment. ah i love it! and solitaire mystery, i re-read that one earlier this year.

Zaerdra

HSC
brilliantly written. although i got a little tired of the philosophy at the end....still, this book is absolutely fantastic as a related text for imaginative journeys.

Z

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)