SOR I - Section 3! YOUR THOUGHTS (1 Viewer)

Leash157

HSC
Hmmmm....im not sure thats what they were looking for in the answer, but im sure you will be happy with a band 3 mark anyway. keep up the good work.

Clifford

HSC
"The Qur'an does not speak of five pillars" - Wikipedia

But wikipedia is inaccurate as hell... right? Right? RIIGIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHTT!?!?!

There goes half my essay.... PLEASE discount this!

ubermale

HSC
I loved section III. I think the reason they took that direction was because they had already asked two generic essays for 2007 and 2008, so they didn't want to be so predictable that students could gauge what key area the next essay would be on (key areas being significant person, ethics and practice).

I did Islam and integrated info about its influences on Hadith and Sunna, Shariah, the Hajj and environmental ethics. Got 10 pages and I am happy to have no more SOR in my life!!!

saraferinac

HSC
our school is lodging a formal complaint because of the question, no one was prepared for quotes like that or the question given...i wrote 6 pages of bullshit on the everyday christian adherent but nothing like i thought id do :(

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
That was ridiculous. Lucky I have 12 units. BOS have really screwed up this year ay?

If anyone has the exam writer's name & address, please post it here so we can hunt them down and make them eat the quotes from the Bible/Torah/whatever

ha!! i herd of a school where the whole hall just walked out after the reading time...it was beyond ridiculous, but yes hopefully it will sought it self out
Haha thats funny, doesn't surprise me though. I felt like doing the same, I could afford to lose SOR as a subject, I have enough units.

I did judaism and it was pretty clear what section of syllabus it was from - but i planned to do christianity which was to vague to decifer. All in all my thoughts are F YOU BOARD OF STUDIES YOU STUPID VAGUE ONE RELATED TEXT LOVING BASTARDS.
How so? I did Judaism too, and I thought it was as vague as all hell. :p I just talked about the various laws they follow in relation to sexual ethics, and how they are all based around the love for God.

i read the questions for section 3 and i honestly thought i had the wrong exam paper :S
Funny that, everyone thought the same thing. There was this one girl in our room that asked the examiner twice if she got the right exam and if it was printed right etc lol!

for some of the religions it said refer to ethics, and for judaism the quote referred to the rules, is it not an ethical question?
You would think that, but they also follow rules in relation to rites/rituals in their practices (eg Synagogue Services). And I saw Hinduism asked about ethics/practices, so it makes sense that it probably wanted both...

all i can say is. WHAT. THE. HELL?????

I was expecting it to be based around a dot point, so in the exam i though we had to link it to a dot point, which I did. Now in hindsight I realise mine won't be any where in-depth enough as we were meant to link it to everything we had learn't.
I think the question would have been alright if i knew how to answer it :(
We're all in the same boat, dont worry. I wrote 3 pages at most, just on sexual ethics and tried to relate it to the quote/question. Didnt even mention practice or significant person.

Just remember if everyone in the state does crap, its OK! :D

my strategy going into section three was to write and memorise three essays, so that id be prepared for any question in the exams.

sigh. so much time wasted.
Same, I went in more prepared than I have ever been for a SOR exam. I could have done section 3 just as well if I hadn't studied at all really.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ok..., im just wondering, since most people wrote COMPLETELY different things for the essay... how are they gonna mark it.
THe markers will probably take random samples of the responses, and look at how students have responded, formulating a strategy from there.

untouchablecuz

HSC

But wikipedia is inaccurate as hell... right? Right? RIIGIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHTT!?!?!

you have a diseased mind

PrettyStarFury

HSC

There goes more then half my essay!! I swear we never learnt ANYTHING about the Qur'an, we focused on the Hajj and the Califs. Biggest fail ever!

chaldoking

HSC
I do think it was unfair that for Hinduism and Buddhism - the questions were straight forward (ie. they told you to talk about ethics and practices) whereas the others weren't.

The Board of Studies obviously ran out of money and hired a group of
steel-brained Neanderthals.

askrach

HSC
I AGREE!
those questions weren't in the syllabus at aaalll
I just wrote what I knew but I doubt I was answering the question. So frustrating, I was counting on religion being my guaranteed marks

missgraceful

What a joke..
HSC
I do 2 unit and I'm pretty sure its the same exam because we had the same problem.. (We just have other parts added to our exam to make it bigger). But the same thing in 2 unit. Everyone walked out and was like WTF. This one kid asked the supervisor if there was a misprint..
Really terrible.. and thats from a 2 unit person.

lotsasmiles

HSC
i read the questions for section 3 and i honestly thought i had the wrong exam paper :S
Me too. I actually asked the head supevisor to recheck I had the right paper....twice lol. I just panicked, I seriously thought I had the two unit paper. I did the Jewish one, just wrote about about sexual ethics being 'laws and rules' one had to follow for their 'love of God'. My teacher didn't even know what they were asking.

Just think on the bright side. At least it will scale well.

The Land Of Procrastinating.. Which is in the same
HSC
My first thoughts when I saw it was," This was in the syllabus!?" I staight away opened my mouth shocked.. I knew that I would go horrid if I chose to do Islam for Section 2, as I knew nothing on Sufism.. OS I chose to do Christianity for Part 2, and I murdered that question. If they don't give me full marks for that one! !

And as for Section 3 and Islam.. I had no idea what revelation they were talking about.. I recalled my teacher mentioning something about angels talking to Mohammad and like reciting the Qu'Ran to him.. It was when I was half way through writing about everything I knew about Islam that I remembered what it was.. and it did not help me.

So basically for Question 3 I just wrote everything I knew about Islam, occasionaly referring to the Qu'ran or Hadith.. I think I only mentioned the quotation once but :S .. 5 pages of dribble.

RachaelRae

HSC
I was the same as you inaudible, no idea what revelation happened. spent the entire reading time trying to figure out what the Christianity question was asking because i had no idea about anything to do with revelations or the Qur'an.

I guess we just need to hope that everyone suffered the same and we'll all get scaled equally.

elliev716

HSC
yeh wtf was with section 3. what did people do with islam, i just did environemntal ethics :S
I did enviro ethics for Islam too. The RE co ordinator said they can't really mark it wrong, they didnt give us any direction on what area (person, practice or ethics) to write on.

c-rudd

HSC
ahahaha my whole exam room in the reading time gasped stimutanesly
WAS FUCKING BULLLSHITTTTT i know its repetitive but wtf, i rekon there will be so many non-attempts
if its actually from preliminary then thats just mean cos i didnt write a thing in that course.. i was soo ready for ANYTHING ELSE

but i adapted. i did judaism and wrote where they get there teachings from and how this is used in practices (marriage) and ethics (bio) and thus shows the love of god or something

structure was soooo off haha

ijaz101

Lord
HSC
Re: The glory that was section 3.

yes! i loved it the Buddhism question! It was such a vague question that u could've gone on about anything! beautiful! so i related the 5 Precepts and 8 fold path (BUDDHISM) to ethics, bio sexual and envrionmental... LOVED IT! not a 20 out of 20 but i reckon close. like 19 maybe:jump::jump::jump::jump:

PrettyStarFury

HSC
I did Christianity in section 2 cause I figured if I was gonna screw up 3, I may as well own 2. I swear the Qur'an as a general topic was not on the sylabus?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)