Soundwave 09 (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Subways were amazing, got to meet them at a signing, though Charlotte has the straight hair again, she said she might curl it up for tonight's gig at Manning <333

Anberlin were surprisingly good live, tight set, impressed, didn't know them beyond my brother playing some of their songs.

imo it was a decent experience with the music overall. I got to see a bit of in flames, lacuna coil, a bit of horse the band, devildriver (probably my favourite that night), alkaline trio, a bit of NIN and a bit of Face to Face. Saw bloodhound gang too...they were shit :p.

The venue itself was pretty awesome though, the way the hills were shaped and stuff. It could've made a good concert great, but soundwave management didn't help at all. I suppose that's what happens when you change venues every year...if they got a fixed venue each year they could learn from their mistakes.
They don't learn, they had the same fucking issues last year, and all the new venue emphasised was that the planning and management was shit.

Also Bloodhound Gang fucking ruled.

uh people were complaining about entry on the soundwave forum too but when i went it was piss easy to get in. i got inside in 10min around 1.30pm. through the main gate even. set up was heaps better than last year, got no complaints.
Anyone who was there would say that's bullshit.

We lined up at 12 and didn't get in till 2.30 so I can't see how you'd somehow bypassed everyone in 10 minutes. You probably ended up at the South entry, which wasn't the main entrance.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I loved Anberlin - they were the reason i went to Soundwave :D

But yeah i arrived at 11ish... got past the entrance just before 1pm =="

Lesson learnt for next year, go to the other gate!

HSC
how were nfg? anberlin? rival schools? bedouin soundclash? the subways? funeral for a friend? hellogoodbye? saves the day? jaguar love?
NFG were good; hyped the crowd up a lot from what i could see.
Anberlin had a really short set, which was weird, and i didn't even get to see all of it.
Subways were pretty decent but a lot of the audience were just securing spots for Underoath, and Hellogoodbye were pretty ace. No idea about the rest, but.

Trying to call or text people was hell, particularly towards the end of the night; networks were so crowded that you were lucky if anything got through. Especially on shit service providers like virgin.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
yeah, messages took 2-3 attempts before it gets sent and then sometimes it took up to an hour before they arrived.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
We arrived at 11 and got in at 12:20. Complete fucking joke.

Also one other piece of bullshit. On entrance they checked ID and gave us armbands signifying that we were over 18. Why the fuck were they also checking ID on entry to the bar areas?? Talk about an exercise in inefficiency.

Apart from management incompetence the day was good though. Managed to push myself to within 2-3 people from the front for NIN. Disappointed no Closer or Starfuckers though. :(

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
So you're saying it's a criminal offense that my musical taste changes? I've been on this forum a long time, it doesn't surprise me that you remember stuff I liked from years back. And you're right, I used to like New Found Glory, From First to Last, Electro music, House music, MOS albums, Enrique Iglesias, and other stuff I wouldn't touch anymore. This fucking joke is over.

so why act like the bands you used to be into are now so utterly beneath your consideration and that anyone who would dare to like them is uncool? i used to be super into the emo band scene i dont deny it, i dont really listen to much of it anymore but im never going to act like a fuckwit just because my music taste matured and i certainly wont be jumping on a fad just because its the new super rad thing. denying past musical taste is fucking pretentious and pathetic. so yes im calling you out, ive watched you do it for years and frankly its lamer than any "emo" kid frothing on these "emo bands"

but moving on here is my soundwave review
i barred the first hour and got there around 1, and walked straight in the southern gate which was a pleasant suprise compared to last year.
* all that remains were the first band i saw and they were horrible. "we like australia because it has naked chicks and people smoking pot" <kill yourselves
*unearth were next and even though im kinda outgrowing metalcore i appreicated their set and they obviously dont take themselves too seriously which was refreshing for a metalcore band.
*underoath were next and they are regressing as musicians (or maybe they just had horrid sound?). the christianity rant was upsetting, cant stand that pious crap.
*anberlin. wow. if you didnt enjoy yourself watching them you are lying. i was mildly dissapointed that they didnt play some of their slower more ambient songs but its a festival what can you expect? lolololol that they played that song with "you make breaking hearts look so easy" hugely entertaining and considering i was off my face it was a dance sensation with myself and my friends making a "mince pit"
*finch. yawn. filling time waiting for dillinger escape plan.
*dillinger escape plan. amazing, i watched from the hill and i was super impressed with how tight they are for a post hardcore band. black bubble gum was the highlight, oh that and seeing some southern cross sporting bogan get OWNED by the guitarist when he jumped into the crowd.
*funeral for a friend. i was super suprised with how entertaining they are. i think someone must have told them that their new material is balls so they did a bit of an homage to their old albums which are the only ones i know. kinda only saw them because my sister was keen to but im glad i did, who knew a band could come back to form after having been lame for so so so so so long.
*horse the band. the funniest thing ive ever seen in my life. nintendocore and band members high on acid yet still able to play a wicked set. frothtacular
*devildriver. hahahahahahahahahhahahaha MEH...TAL. worst band ever
*in flames. so mega awesome, i almost cried when they went off because they didnt play for long enough, been waiting to see them for years and they didnt dissapoint. only for the week was the highlight
*nine inch nails. the highlight of the day, and possibly my life. made every other band look like amateurs. emotionally powerful and ending with hurt my little group to tears (friend of ours died and used to play an acoustic version). if they played all night i would have stayed and watched till i dropped dead. on par with sparta for the greatest live show ive ever seen

all in all a super fun day, kinda wanted to kill myself at the end of the day with the bus dramas and the immense amount of travel time it took to get home. walking to one side of the venue to be told there were no busses there was the most heartbreaking moment of my life but then i was given free pasta so win :)
i wont be able to go next year (ill be living in london) but i would if i could

HSC
It took just a bit over an hour for us to get in at the northern entrance (and they opened the gates half an hour late on top of that; quite a few people fainted in line and the first bands played to crowds of about five), and it was even worse getting out, what with phones not working and the horrific traffic. But it was totally worth it.

The highlight of my day was definitely Nine Inch. They were amazing amazing amazing, times a billion. i was only four or five people from the front, and the strobe lights made it even more awesome. Head Like A Hole was amazing, but it's a damn shame they didn't play Closer or Starfuckers.

edit - also, i never realised how many people smoked.

Last edited:

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
We lined up at 12 and didn't get in till 2.30 so I can't see how you'd somehow bypassed everyone in 10 minutes. You probably ended up at the South entry, which wasn't the main entrance.
I drove in. And apart from walking 30min to the northern entrance (because nobody had any idea where this supposed 2nd southern entrance was), it DID take no longer than 15min for me to get in. Probably from that time onwards the entrance was opened up more, and my bag wasnt even checked, just strolled in really. That was at 1.30. If you were there earlier then obviously its another story.

There was MAJOR improvement this year. Stages were set up all in a line and close to each other so it was easy to move between. Lines for food/drinks/toilets were small. Fenced off bars meant less drunk teenybopper cunts in the mosh. Which for the most part, the bands that i saw their crowds were pretty good.

and the shit phone services can't be blamed on SW organisers. It happens at every single festival eg BDO, Homebake. You need a sat phone or walkie talkies to get through (at Good Vibes i saw a group actually had walkie talkies).

My only disappointment was that Anberlin's set wasn't more of their old stuff (ie Never Take Friendship Personal) but understandable, it is their 2nd time here so they'd be promoting their newer albums. The lead singer sounds more 'hardcore' live, he was really straining his voice, rasping at the end.. he's more toned down on cd. I mean this in a good way, just more NTFP stuff next time plzkthx.

Finch had sound problems but made the best of it (SO good to hear Letters to You live tho). Bloodhound Gang were fkn hilarious but Jack's Mannequin & Say Anything ruled the day followed by Alkaline Trio.

Last edited:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
I drove in. And apart from walking 30min to the northern entrance (because nobody had any idea where this supposed 2nd southern entrance was), it DID take no longer than 15min for me to get in. Probably from that time onwards the entrance was opened up more, and my bag wasnt even checked, just strolled in really. That was at 1.30. If you were there earlier then obviously its another story.

There was MAJOR improvement this year. Stages were set up all in a line and close to each other so it was easy to move between. Lines for food/drinks/toilets were small. Fenced off bars meant less drunk teenybopper cunts in the mosh. Which for the most part, the bands that i saw their crowds were pretty good.

and the shit phone services can't be blamed on SW organisers. It happens at every single festival eg BDO, Homebake. You need a sat phone or walkie talkies to get through (at Good Vibes i saw a group actually had walkie talkies).

My only disappointment was that Anberlin's set wasn't more of their old stuff (ie Never Take Friendship Personal) but understandable, it is their 2nd time here so they'd be promoting their newer albums. The lead singer sounds more 'hardcore' live, he was really straining his voice, rasping at the end.. he's more toned down on cd. I mean this in a good way, just more NTFP stuff next time plzkthx.

Finch had sound problems but made the best of it (SO good to hear Letters to You live tho). Bloodhound Gang were fkn hilarious but Jack's Mannequin & Say Anything ruled the day followed by Alkaline Trio.
5th time here for anberlin actually :p

newmz89

Beer
HSC
*nine inch nails. the highlight of the day, and possibly my life. made every other band look like amateurs. emotionally powerful and ending with hurt my little group to tears (friend of ours died and used to play an acoustic version). if they played all night i would have stayed and watched till i dropped dead. on par with sparta for the greatest live show ive ever seen
i like this, ill be seeing them this wednesday, can't wait :D

did they play The Big Come Down?

that song is fucking awesome!

Last edited:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Say anything were amazing.
Met max (multiple times) today which just completed it
only band I found mildly disappointing was poison the well, only because the vocals were underwhelming.

iwannarock

HSC
went.

meh.

maybe cuz i didnt really watch that many bands. spent a lot of time in the drinking cage.

would not go to soundwave again.

my favourite music was the soundcheck music with the keyboards.

oh ofcourse NIN and AIC were good too.

but soundcheck music was better than them.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Getting there: Because it was in fucking eastern creek and i would have to travel to central then catch another train then busses etc FUCK THAT SHIT would take like 4 hours i decided to drive.
Got there at 10, plenty of carparks still available, did some tailgating [drinking beer and listening to music and eating some food around your cars] then headed down at 10:45. Southern gates opened a bit late but once they did took me like 10mins to get in and nobody had started yet.

what i saw:

Chiodos: really great, they were funny aswell, talked about how they were totally fucked up drunk, got up early and started drinking at 9am lol. Never heard them before but i liked them.

The subways: really good, but i liked them alot beforehand anyway. charlotte is really cute, full of energy and great voice. Billy got the crowd going, called for circles and people going crazy and then jumped into the crowd. You can tell they are used to bigger crowds but they did great [plus i got my shirt signed and got to chat with them for a bit]

Goldfinger: good, liked their music alot

Forever the sickest kids: ok i guess, i liked their cover of men in black and they have some talent.

underoath: did not like. Lots of energy and i can see why some people would like them but they just gave me a headache. Their crap about christianity saving their lives or some shit made me want to hit someone

Anberlin: my mate is a big fan so i had to watch them, pretty good though and i enjoyed their set thoroughly.

Red Jumpsuit Aparatus: good just like i expected, one of the bands i was really hyped to see and they did not disappoint, played all my favourites plus their new songs that are really good too.

36 crazy fists: yeah they were allright, fun moshpit and they did a wall of death thing.

lacuna coil: i had heard a song or two beforehand and liked it, i was wondering how the female vocalist would be live because i thought maybe her voice was touched up a bit by studio but she is amazing live as well. Overall they were pretty good, synchronised head banging and everything.

New Found Glory: i like some of their older stuff, i did not enjoy their performance. They seemed to be trying really hard and i commend them for that, maybe my tastes have changed or the crowd was too much new people but yeah so i went to see devil driver

devil driver: they were allright from what i saw, basically what i expected.

In MOTHERFUCKING Flames: mind blowingly good. Everyone said they would be good and put on a good live performance but i had no idea, i had a lot of fun, screaming along jumped all over the place, they engaged the crowd, great lights all over the place. Jesus christ their lead guitarist could shred it up. yeah they were fun

the mighty Lamb of God: very good, powerful stage presence, enthusiastic crowd, basically masters at what they did. They put on a very professional performance and their talent as musicians showed.

Last edited:

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
^From what other people said, they were good (i planned on seeing them but changed my mind last minute so i could secure a good mosh spot for Say Anything).

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
oh man i caught the last 3 songs of LAMB ROD as i was leaving and my god they are such mindnumbingly lame dudes with such boring boring songs
being a redneck is not something to brag about you douche bags. i laughed when i heard someone describe them as dero metal hahahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)