• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speaking Exam (1 Viewer)

wenwen

well...let's just say~ in the mean time~ for all yr 12 students
HSC fully occupies their minds, and is the most stressful thing on their minds, k?! (just agree on that,dunt really need u to think :p)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
anny day now... I wonder if they will send ext speaking times in the same letter... if not I can rant about the BoS killing trees :p

Gemstone

Yeah i was wondering when we get them too. I start trials next week so I'm not at school and the exams in the middle of those. I gather we get them tomorrow then. We'd kindda have too the can't expect us to go to an exam when they haven't told us what time it is.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I got mine yesterday... 1pm for continuers... 9am for extention.

I guess the 9am is alraight because id be getting more and more stressed as the day went on.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
YAY! i got mine too ! just today. 11am for continuers and 9am for ext~ geez...all the way at kogarah. i'd prolly havta get up at 7!

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
mushroom_head said:
YAY! i got mine too ! just today. 11am for continuers and 9am for ext~ geez...all the way at kogarah. i'd prolly havta get up at 7!
Oh no! Seven o'clock! God forbid! Last year I had mine at nine o'clock. I felt sorry for those poor saps who didn't get the early start. I still had a weekend.

Anyway, I'm here to remind you that #nihongo is still open in Austnet (the same network where you will find #hsc if you're interested). There are those of us in #nihongo who can speak Japanese, have done it to a point in high school, up to and including the HSC, and/or continued/started in university. We're more then happy to give you any quick (real time) advice for Japanese should we be in the channel (since we have uni/school to go to as well, your best bet is during the night).

To connect to Austnet, download an IRC client (www.mirc.co.uk - for Windows, www.irssi.org - for Linux/Unix, or www.ircle.com - for Macintosh). Type:
/connect irc.austnet.org
/join #nihongo
To join #nihongo, or to join both #nihongo and #hsc
/connect irc.austnet.org
/join #nihongo,#hsc

Please note that we are there (#nihongo) to assist anyone with Japanese language issues. We won't write speeches for anyone (as we've been asked).

Come by, say hello, and if you want, run through what you've planned for your speaking examination (by typing the romaji, since IRC isn't very organised for non-ASCII characters) with us, and we'll tell you whether or not it's any good. We studied it at #hsc level and/or university level, so we can be of assistance.

Good luck to everyone on their speaking examination, and then good studying with the reading/writing and listening components. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Can someone post the date for the speaking exams? I haven't seen it so far, and I will make an effort to be in #nihongo a few nights before the exam to help people out.

Gemstone

Yep I got my letter on Monday. I'm at 9am. I only do continuers so theres no other one for me. They changed the location though. It's normally at Gosford High but this time it's at Joeys. Oh well.

The date for it is the 14th Lexicographer.

Gems

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
mushroom_head said:
9am for ext~ geez...all the way at kogarah.
Are you a james cooker too? Horay for meeting new people if you are.

Dates= Continuers- 14th of august.... Extention- 21st of august.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
maybe... we'll have to wait and see though... i suppose there wouldnt be as many ext people as continuers

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
we have about 30 people who do continuers and 5 people who do ext... so not that many people do ext by my count. Granted its one school, but im sure other schools have fewer people.

If you are correct, think of the logistics of getting everybody to do ext at the same time? There would bee heaps of people there.

You might be right... but to me it seems a little odd getting so many people in one place at one time. But... then again it is the board of studies, so you cant expect them to do anything logically

kochou

Well when you think about it, there are only 3 time slots for continuers and Extension students probably make up for less than 1/3 of that so having us all start at the same time should be alright...anyhows I live (relatively) close to Kogarah so I'm fine with getting there early! :D

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Yeah...well... anywho...

I did my extention speaking trials just before... that was "fun" to say the least. But hey, i didnt resort to banging my head against the table this time ;)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Wilmo said:
Are you a james cooker too? Horay for meeting new people if you are.

Dates= Continuers- 14th of august.... Extention- 21st of august.
that's right! i'm a james cooker too.

Anyway, i was wondering if past hsc'ers could give us some tips on time management for ext speaking. i'm scared that i'd go overtime like i did in the half yrlys or way undertime. if i keep looking at my watch then i'd prolly forget what i'm talking about. argh~ this is a major problem for me.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Write out the script of something you would say, and time how long it takes you to say it.

that way you know how many sentences you can fit into two minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)