• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speaking Exam (3 Viewers)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
You divy up your time so its like 5 minutes preparation time for each question. If you are a freak and can write notes and practice it in that 10 minutes, by all means go ahead...

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Wilmo, u sound so confident. I'm just so freaked out about ext speaking. when they listen to my tape again, they're prolly gonna hear this really shaky voice talking about something that's got nothing to do with the question.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Yeah... really confident :rolleyes:

I just dont see the point in worrying about it. As with everything i do, i do it to the best of my ability. If i go crap, i dont care. I did what I could. Basically i dont see any point in bringing myself down other than because I didnt try my best.

I thought my trial was fun... I was at the point where i was sick of caring how i went. I know what I know, and i just have to try my best to get that onto tape.

Im looking forward to my tests :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Wilmo said:
Yeah... really confident :rolleyes:

I just dont see the point in worrying about it. As with everything i do, i do it to the best of my ability. If i go crap, i dont care. I did what I could. Basically i dont see any point in bringing myself down other than because I didnt try my best.

I thought my trial was fun... I was at the point where i was sick of caring how i went. I know what I know, and i just have to try my best to get that onto tape.

Im looking forward to my tests :)
ARE YOU NUTS??!?!
:)
sorry but wow, i just did my trail speaking exam for continuers and i sucked!
teehee, the translating in japanese bit is fine, i just gotta figure out what interesting things i can say about what the markers ask me :)
do you know what is given more importance, fluency or variety of language?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Different markers mark differently... some go on the level of language you use, some go on how well you can keep the conversation flowing.

Ideally you would be able to please both sorts of markers... but really, you just gotta do what you can and hope you get a good marker.

Gemstone

I have a question regarding misadventures in the speaking exam as it seems I may need to do one. I'm not starting a new thread for it cos it's about the speaking exam and were all discussing that here.

So yeah anyway. Every now and then I get these awful sore throats. It's usually either tonsilitis or just a throat infection but they normally last for a while. Anyway I have this sore throat at the moment which only started yesterday so I'm likely to have on saturday. So yeah I was wondering if I should do misadventure on the exam.

This is my understanding of misadventures so tell me if this is right. You use them to say that there were things beyond your control that affected your performance in the exam. If it gets accepted then they take whichever mark is higher out of your school based mark and the actual exam (provided you still sit the exam). That right?

Gems

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
can you still speak so that people can understand you?
go ask the teacher in charge of the misadventure forms
but still claim anyways, just in case

Gemstone

Yeah I can still speak so it's understandable it just hurts a lot. I asked some other people and they said just do it just in case. I've been taking those losgense and all that stuff to try and get rid of it but it's not working. Anyway my Jap. teacher want's me to come in tomorrow so I can have a practice so I'll ask her about it then.

Gems

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Go to your doctor, get a certificate and if possible a letter explaining that it's an intermittent, ongoing condition. If you can get this done before Saturday. Make sure you get a misadventure form from the supervisors on the day.

arisu

anybody for nsb on sat? (14th aug)

me nsb on 14th then james cook on 21st for ext

aww man i'm nervous

Gemstone

Yeah okay. I got a doctors certificate. I talked to my teacher about it and she said that the people who do it make a note of it if you sound like your sick and stuff. So yeah. I'll just get a form tomorrow then.

Goodluck everyone

Gems

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Some handy advice for tomorrow from someone who has done it:

- If you get an examiner who has a funny way of speaking (or is trying like hell, and failing, to sound Japanese), try to keep a straight face, or blame a smile/laugh on nerves.
- Do it, then after, with mates who have done it also, talk for like five minutes about "omg I'm so happy that's done" and forget about it. You'll never know your marks for speaking, you'll never know how you're examined. Do it, talk about it if you need to, and get over it. Some of you have extension Japanese you need to study for.
- Possibly reward yourself after you've done it. Knowing that people you've never met, and never will meet are going to be listening to your voice can get a bit much. Especially if you're like me, and aren't too much of a people person, and suck at public speaking. Go somewhere/do something fun. Forget about study tomorrow (unless it's for the speaking examination). After the exam, don't touch another book, have some fun.
- USE SENIOR STRUCTURES! The examiners work on a way where they evaluate your level of understanding, and ask questions accordingly. Understanding shitloads of vocab, and using senior structures will get them asking more difficult questions, in a more difficult manner. While this appears disadvantageous, people who are asked simple questions and only give simple answers will not be getting high marks. Those who get complex questions, will likely have them because they've shown the knowledge.
Lastly:
- NO PRESSURE! Don't worry too much if you fuck up. Sure, there goes that band six, but you have another eighty marks waiting for you in the written test.

I got 87 for Japanese Continuers. I'm probably one of the lowest on BoS. I still reckon I did mighty fine.
If I got 87% for all aspects of my examination, I would've received 17.4/20. Considering that your marker will be listening to a royal fuckload of tapes, over and over again, anything over fifteen is pretty bloody good.

Anyway, good luck in your spoken examination from everyone in #nihongo@irc.austnet.org.

jesshika

supreme being
they don't give you time for preparation tomorrow do they???

approcx how long did yu guys have to wait???

garry

anyone have their exam in newtown? why is my exam in newtown and i don't know which school is it.

jesshika

supreme being
hey garry !! watashi mo netwon de speaking shiken ga aru yo ~~

densha de ittara ... you just have to walk down kings st and there you are .. NEwtown koukou

watashi wa ima shinpai suru !!

ano .. anata no speaking wa nan ji hajimeru?

garry

boku no wa 11:00da.
it's mainly because i have some problem with my enrolment with board of study. just found out i haven't been enrol to continual till yesterday. that's why i still haven't receive my letter. my teacher called for me but only wrote down in newtown don't know where about.
well thanx jesshika i think i know where is it now.

garry

jesshika said:
hey garry !! watashi mo netwon de speaking shiken ga aru yo ~~

densha de ittara ... you just have to walk down kings st and there you are .. NEwtown koukou

watashi wa ima shinpai suru !!

ano .. anata no speaking wa nan ji hajimeru?
actually, is it the one close to station? like 5min walk? called art something school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)