Specialities with best work/life balance? (2 Viewers)

Medman

HSC
I've never heard of tiers for med programs and certainly wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker in picking a university. I'd prefer to do 2 years as an unaccredited reg (maybe doing a masters, getting more references or doing research) than spend an extra 2 years in uni to do a research project which may or may not be published.

EDIT: Also, a lot of colleges stipulate that your research needs to be published within 5 years of applying for that college, so it should only really be a consideration in your last 2 years or so of your med degree.
Tiers only seem to be an issue in applying for Dermatology apart from that it's just research opportunities and opportunities to pursue masters or a PHD concurrently with a medical degree.

If you feel like spending 2-3 years as unaccredited reg that may be fine but it won't help work/life balance. I'm just suggesting if you want to fast track then doing things whilst in medical school may help. Also don't forget you will most likely be marrying, having kids etc. so more responsibilities equates to less time so quite a few people suggest doing these things as early as possible meaning when you decide which specialty you want to pursue.

Research, presentations etc. should be within 10 years I believe some colleges accept up to 15 years.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Tbf doing research in med school by no means fast tracks the process, ur research is more likely to be published and to be relevant once you have had more exposure to the working environment and when ur knowledge base is extensive enough. Furthermore, u still spend roughly the same time researching either way, difference is that if u do it while working at least u can earn at the same time rather than spending an extra 2 years at uni

Medman

HSC
Tbf doing research in med school by no means fast tracks the process, ur research is more likely to be published and to be relevant once you have had more exposure to the working environment and when ur knowledge base is extensive enough. Furthermore, u still spend roughly the same time researching either way, difference is that if u do it while working at least u can earn at the same time rather than spending an extra 2 years at uni
Tell that to the USYD graduate that managed to secure a dermatology training position right after residency whilst others with PHDs struggle. Tell that to the previous students who have done a Masters of Philosophy along with their MBBS degree. And no they don't spend an extra 2 years at university. I can understand where you're coming from but I think I'm speaking more from a graduate university point of view given that one has already spent 3-5 years in another degree. You don't understand how much these things can help but like I said these things are for people who are extremely hardworking and in some cases exceptional.

Most other medical schools don't offer these programs concurrently with their medical course. Also please try working a 8-4:30 job which does not necessarily finish at 4:30 with concurrent research projects or doing a masters. Doing this in medical school will be a lot easier, that is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)