Speeches - How do you make a proper one? (Eng Adv) (1 Viewer)

trea99

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm doing english advanced right now and we have an upcoming task which is a speech and we are required to discuss how Shakespeare's plays, through characterisation, is able to remain relevant today. Content wise I know what to discuss. But I have been given so much contradictory guidance from different english teachers. One of the dot points that we are expected to address is:
"A student describes and explains the ways in which language forms and features, and structures of particular texts shape meaning and influence responses"
Based on the question, the focus seems to be strongly on context and how the issues discussed in the play are still of relevance rather than how characterisation is achieved. I am aware that a speech is not an essay, and reciting an essay as a speech (regardless of how well you speak) is not a good idea. We are strongly advised to speak more casually (and speech-like). But how would one go about including textual references in their speech without resembling somewhat of an essay. I find this especially difficult because the dot point notes that we must not only refer to the ways in which language forms and features shape meaning but also describe and explain these (I'm assuming this means at least the most basic form of analysis). I asked my english teacher and she gave me a very ambiguous answer and said that you should include textual evidence but don't focus on them too much. How is this possible when one of the dot points (there is only 1 other content based dot point the other 2 refer to how well one presents/speaks) is dedicated solely to language forms and features. Is it possible to refer to language forms and features in general without referring to specific quotes/techniques in the play. Ie discuss symbolism, irony etc etc as general language forms and features without referring to particular instances in the text (thus the lack of need to analyse these like you would in an essay). Also the speech is time restricted so in trying to address the dot point above, I find my speech's focus diverts significantly from the question at hand which is to discuss the relevance of Shakespeare's plays (not so much how Shakespeare is able to achieve this)
If anyone has any suggestions on how to include textual evidence in my discussion or has any experience with speeches and what I should do in this instance, it would be much appreciated,
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Few quick pointers, you are focusing excessively on the dot points instead of the actual question you are asked to address-those dot points are generically taken out of the syllabus, it basically says you need to think about how ideas are shaped with language techniques, features and focus on textual form specific techniques-i.e. dramatic techniques, e.g. dramatic irony, pathetic fallacy, soliloquy etc. Secondly, you NEED to highlight examples and technique and effect just as you could in an essay, because you got to have evidence backing your claim up, but you can afford to present it in a more casual way, i.e. instead of saying Shakespeare highlights this through blah, we can say, we are engaged into a world where this idea is highlighted through blah. Using more collective pronouns, using more engaging intro (i.e. may even use a suitable anecdote or other engaging device) is where you can shape essay like information into speech.

Further tips on actual presentation encapsulated in my guide: http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/318818/how-ace-oral-presentations.html

Make answering the question your TOP priority, and you are overthinking-teachers regularly put such dot points in cause they have to show the assessment task is related to the syllabus, you don't need to pay excessive emphasis on SUPPLEMENTARY dot points rather than the ACTUAL CORE question.

trea99

HSC
Hi thank you so much for your response!
The question at hand states that:
Shakespeare’s works are valued today because the issues related to human behaviour are as valid today as they were in Shakespeare's time. Your presentation is to analyse how Shakespeare is able to effectively create a character whose motivations and actions are still believable and thought provoking for a modern audience.
I'm not sure if the question requires us to discuss both contexts because it is stated that our task is to "analyse how Shakespeare is able to effectively create a character whose actions are believable for a modern audience" which makes me think our focus should be solely on the modern perspective but the word "still" along with the introductory sentence makes me unsure if the focus is to be on both the modern and Shakespearean perspectives and how they can be interpreted differently based on context.
If you have any suggestions regarding this it would be much appreciated,
Thanks again!

Maancis

HSC
While strawberrye has clearly identified how to write a good speech, performing the speech is just as crucial and can make a huge difference either for better or for worse. It will not matter how well your speech is written, if you fail to deliver it properly, it could make the difference between a band 5 and 6.

My points for delivering a speech are:

- Keep the word count down to a minimum: If you have too many words it will affect your pace. Keep your word count as small as possible to avoiding rushing. Take your time and stress key words.
- Speak with confidence as if you've written a band 6 essay, no matter how bad you believe it is
- Speak with power but don't over do it; if you speak too loudly, it's just as bad as speaking too softly.
- Maintain eye contact with the WHOLE audience (if you're in prelims, otherwise its only the marker in the HSC course) and not just the marker: memorise your essay beforehand to avoid looking at your palm cards too much
- Try to use hand gestures and change our facial expression according to what you are saying: It gives the impression you are engaging with the audience.

If you stick to these points, you can raise a band 4 essay to a band 5 as your speaking is worth about 1/3 of the marks. I have a few points for writing a good speech from personal experience, although its pretty much been covered;

- Stick to a minimum word count: trust me, there are a lot of unnecessary words you've probably used. Eg. i had a 700 word count for a 4 minute speech. I would not go over that.
- Even though teachers tell you to start off with a quote or question, DO NOT stick in a random quote in the book for the sake of it, it will just be confusing. Find a relevant quote and refer to it afterwards. I find the best thing to do (especially for a Shakespearian play) is find a quote by a critic and then refer to it afterwards (e.g.. this quote by Admin Studies 1990 review of 'King Lear'......)
- This is pretty much an essay, but when transferring paragraphs try to use words such as 'In contrast' time to time to make it more of a speech
- Have structure to the speech: don't have a random order. Try to have things in chronological order if possible

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

trea99

HSC
Thanks Maancis,
I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Another question lol, not that its set in stone or anything, but for a speech how many pieces of textual evidence ie quotes would you recommend per point you discuss. Right now I'm using 3 for each of my points (I've been told to discuss only 2 points due to lack of time and the need do be detailed). Would you recommend cutting down to maybe 2 techniques to focus more on the question or is it REALLY REALLY necessary to backup what you're saying like in an essay. I've heard different opinions from people (one of my teachers even recommends 1-2 techniques per issue in an essay and discuss it in a lot of detail).
Thanks again for the tips

pokemonlv10

HSC
You have 4minutes so having 2 evidence per point is probably enough as you want to go in-depth enough to elaborate your point. Keep your speech relevant by answering the actual question about how your character is relevant to modern society. As long as you do that, support with evidence and keep audience engaged, you'll be fine.

B3A13

HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you don't just write your speech like an essay. Add rhetorical questions, or comical parts- depends on how serious you want to be-- if you don't want to make your speech too informal, add in a statistic or relate it to modern society. This is what i did for my speech for english and I got 90%-- and ranked 2nd in all of Adv English. :party: I hope this helps !!!

Maancis

HSC
Thanks Maancis,
I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Another question lol, not that its set in stone or anything, but for a speech how many pieces of textual evidence ie quotes would you recommend per point you discuss. Right now I'm using 3 for each of my points (I've been told to discuss only 2 points due to lack of time and the need do be detailed). Would you recommend cutting down to maybe 2 techniques to focus more on the question or is it REALLY REALLY necessary to backup what you're saying like in an essay. I've heard different opinions from people (one of my teachers even recommends 1-2 techniques per issue in an essay and discuss it in a lot of detail).
Thanks again for the tips
No problem, glad to help. In regards to this issue, i strongly believe to have as many techniques as possible. I usually have about 4-5 per paragraph. But i also have around 3 quotes. The number of quotes should be around 3 or 4 but TECHNIQUES are what you really want to focus on. BUT the reason i say this is because you can stick 3 techniques into one quote if you want to. In your first draft, you'll probably have about 3 techniques per paragraph but as you edit you'll be able to condense your sentences and add more techniques. Some quotes have multiple techniques and some quotes can be 3or 2 words long (mind you they should be good).

If this was extension english, techniques wouldn't matter as much as the analysis, but i'm told by all my teachers the number of techniques are CRITICAL. I go to a top 50 school and we got 55 band 6's in advanced english last year. Most band 6 essay's have around 5-6 techniques per paragraph, but usually 4 quotes.

Summing this up

-Usually have 3-4 quotes per paragraph (wouldn't recommend doing 2, no matter how many techniques and how good the analysis is)
- have minimum 4 techniques per paragraph, more for a band 6 (Techniques should be relevant and not just randomly selected)
-Techniques are the most crucial part of your essay
-Have a good analysis, it is crucial, but avoid going into too much depth. Only really top student can go really into depth without wasting words.
- REMEMBER QUOTE, TECHNIQUE(S), ANALYSIS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)