speed reading. (1 Viewer)

Riot09

HSC
so the sc is just around the corner and subjects like science,history, geography and particuarly english,well everything beside math require us to read alot of theory and notes,well maths i admit to an extent although not as much.

so anyway iv'e read many articles and seen many videos about "speed reading" where masters of this technique can comprehend,memorise and recall alot of inforamtion just by reading in a relatively short amount of time campared to an "average reader" who:

Subvocalises:(says the word in there head instead of just looking at the word)

reads words one by one:(while a speed reader reads in "chunks" instead every brick by boring brick of text there is.

so with the techniques of "chunking" and "not subvocalizing" what other techniques can i use?.

also "skimming" tips would also be useful

Last edited:

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
so the sc is just around the corner and subjects like science,history, geography and particuarly english,well everything beside math require us to read alot of theory and notes,well maths i admit to an extent although not as much.

so anyway iv'e read many articles and seen many videos about "speed reading" where masters of this technique can comprehend,memorise and recall alot of inforamtion just by reading in a relatively short amount of time campared to an "average reader" who:

Subvocalises:(says the word in there head instead of just looking at the word)

reads words one by one:(while a speed reader reads in "chunks" instead every brick by boring brick of text there is.

so with the techniques of "chunking" and "not subvocalizing" what other techniques can i use?.

also "skimming" tips would also be useful
Try taking in multiple words at once. When you watch a movie you don't just look at the nose then the eyes... you see the whole face... so see multiple words together.

Try reading a few words at a time... then eventually you wanna move on to larger groups and eventually the whole line.

My Uncle once read my entire high school Chemistry textbook in 15 minutes.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Most exams provide ample time for reading at a resonable, average speed.
Why try reading quickly and understanding the ideas ambiguously?

raceryt

HSC
amogh u bos junkie
speed reading helps thats hwy i probably read this thread faster dan u ;)

raceryt

HSC
amogh u bos junkie
speed reading helps thats hwy i probably read this thread faster dan u ;)

norez

HSC
1) Read in your head, do not subvocalise.

2) Keep moving- don't regress.

3) Move your eyes in a flowing motion (Using your finger helps!!)

4) Read in bigger chunks. Word > Phrase > Sentence > Paragraph > Page.

5) Read 50% of the words. Most of the words of a text are simply waffle. Also related to the 80-20 rule. 80% of the information is found in 20% of the text.

6) Use your brain. Skim your text, preview headings, subheadings, illustrations, outcomes, contents etc. And make questions relating to those. 'What do you want to find out by reading this info?' Formulate answers by reading and to aid your memory, write your notes now.

Hopefully that will help. :)

raymond123

HSC
sc is pretty easy. just read everything in reading time and understand what u have ahead and then calculate approx times needed for each section. then u do d exam :)

HSC
Uni Grad
I find it impossible to not subvocalise, I tried real hard a few times and it made me explode.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Read chucks of text is the key here. It will stop you subvocalising, because you can't possibly say all the words at once.

Look for key words. For text books, you should be able to pick out the core concepts. For English, look for the basic story or plot of the text first. Then go back and look at the detail when answering questions. You don't need to know every word before reading the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)