Standard or Advanced English??? (1 Viewer)

howboutno

HSC
Okay, so I got my SC results yesterday, and I got all band 4's and a band 3 (for Maths). But I picked Advanced English for next year. And now I can't decide if I should pick Standard or stick with Advanced. And I do know where I went wrong in the English exam.

But I don't want to do Standard, because English has always been my best subject, and I got a Distinction award for English, and a Credit in Primary.

But maybe I should do Standard, because to do Advanced, we're supposed to have at least a band 5 or 6.

So, you can see why I'm really frustrated trying to decide which English course I should choose. Your opinions would be so helpful.

HSC
the school certificate isnt necessarily an indicator of which subjects you should be doing in year 11/12. from my own experience and my friends, most of us didnt even care and didnt study. if thats ur case as well, well then u shouldnt think about it too much, but base it on how well u have done in class all year and the exams throughout. if its your best subject then i guess you should see how you go in advanced, and if it turns out its too much, you can always drop down to standard. what does your teacher think?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I received a low Band 4 in English in the SC and I didn't regret studying in Standard the HSC.
Things to consider:

1) Are you capable of high-level thinking offered in Advanced ?
2) Will your cohort do well ? (If somehow, Standard did better in Advanced which rarely or never happens, you are better off in Standard)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Advanced IS basically Standard, but scales generally alot more than standard. you're better off doing advance.

HSC
howboutno said:
Okay, so I got my SC results yesterday, and I got all band 4's and a band 3 (for Maths). But I picked Advanced English for next year.
I got band 4 too, and i'm doing advanced english next year - so don't worry, you're not alone. =D

HSC
tommykins said:
Advanced IS basically Standard, but scales generally alot more than standard. you're better off doing advance.
advanced and standard are not basically the same.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
I think there's quite a big difference between advanced and standard. Well in my school there is.

I think you should try out advanced for the first few weeks on year 11. Getting a band 4 in the SC isn't bad nor will it determine if you're capable of being in Advanced. Try Advanced. At least you have a choice cos choosing Standard practically means you're staying there unless you're like REALLY doing well in it.

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
I think you should choose advanced. At least for the preliminary year. because the prelim year doesn't count anyway. and then after a year, you can see if you want to drop down to standard. I also think you should choose the subject with the mre interesting texts. chances are if you find the texts interesting, you'll do better in it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
chocolatecookie said:
advanced and standard are not basically the same.
We do the same paper no? We basically learn the same AOS no? But I think that only applies to 08'ers, I have no idea about the Standard/ADvanced course in 09 where the syllabus changes. Probably shoudl've thought of that before posting :)

damnueconomics

poor poor student
HSC
i got band 5 in my school certificate but did standard english in my hsc. advanced were gonna do clueless and i hate that film... ugh! also why do all of that extra work when i dont really have to. all through high school my grade never really had stable english teachers so we didnt learn a heck of a lot. basically what im trying to say is that it doesnt matter what you get in your sc it just matters what you feel like you want to do. like if you want to do journalism or something then you should be doing heaps higher english but if its nto for something like that then its no big deal right

cs01001

HSC
Do Advance and see how you go, if you can't cope then drop to Standard.

Kiim2507

HSC
Well I suck at English but I'm doing advanced.
I got 26/45 for our most recent assessments and my teacher said I made the right decision to stay in advanced (as I was considering dropping to standard)
She said I'm probably looking at a band 4 for hsc so I dunno :confused:

I think I should've probably dropped to standard, oh well too late now

St. Eve

HSC
My English marks from year 7 to mid year 10 were all very very bad, (50-70% never a fail though) so I picked Standard, I then put a bit more effort in and got a band 5 in SC (that said it was only just a 5, 80). I ranked 6th in my grade for Standard in prelim, and got put in a class of top 10 standard people and about 15 advanced students who dropped. Despite the tougher competition I came first in the first assessment task. It made me regret chosing Standard, and I realised that I could do advanced. I suggest you take Advanced, and if you get a good mark in your preliminary work, keep it, otherwise standard it.

But really SC doesn't matter for subject selection, my mate got band 5 for Maths, but topped Extension 1, and did extension 2 before dropping because of the lack of time he had.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldnt worry too much about your SC results, do subjects that you think you are capable of. I would also recommend that you start in the higher level course and do advanced- you can always drop down if its not to you liking, whereas at my school at least, its near impossible to go up a class.

shona1990

HSC
I recieved a high band 4 in english for the SC, and chose adv english. I am SO thankful for it. At one point I was thinking of changing to standard, but I carried on, and did okay in it. My final hsc mark for adv english was 78, which I was pretty happy with, as I put barely any work in whatsoever. If you're determined to actually work for your marks, then you can do well in advanced. And anyway, if you don't, you can always drop to standard. You can't change to advanced if you change your mind. :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
SC reflects little to nothing at all.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Aplus said:
SC reflects little to nothing at all.
Very true. I got a band 6 for English in SC. Did Advanced and Ext I in Year 11. Came 29/150 and dropped to Standard in Year 12 because of the sheer amount of work you have to do in Advanced in Year 12.

Do Advanced in Year 11 and see how it goes. It's a practice run and you can come last in Advanced without too much hassle. Drop to Standard if you want in Year 12.

tommykins said:
Having done both, I have to say that Advanced is nothing like Standard apart from the structure of the course. The texts are different and the level of analysis they require from you in Advanced is so much more than that of Standard. Also, the level of writing they expect in Standard is crap compared to what they expect from Advanced. You're only better off doing Advanced if you can guarantee that you'll do very in it. The scaling works both ways. If you do well = better scaling. If you do bad = scales you worse than Standard in opposite direction.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
That's what I meant. It's like General and 2unit math, theyre not THAT alike (2unit has integration etc.) but essentially, theyre the same. You're better off doing 2unit than General, as 2unit is not THAT much harder than general.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
But the sheer amount of time and work you have to put into Advanced is just crazy, especially if you want a good mark because you're competing against all the 3u and 4u people.

But the texts studied in the two courses are completely different. Although the structure of the courses are the same, Advanced is not easy (at least, not in the way that Standard is).

Besides doing Standard does not automatically mean that you'll get a crap UAI. Getting a band 5 in Standard will only help. Anything in the high band 5 - band 6 is just bonus.

I suppose only people who are confident in their English skills should do Advanced. Standard is more 2u maths whilst Advanced is like 3u. There's a much bigger gap between the two than between general maths and 2u maths.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'm forced to do Advanced, and from what my teachers have told me, you might as well, obviously you can go well with Standard, hell with any subjects, but advanced isn't THAT much more taxing and serves alot betteri n terms of marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)