Standard or Advanced English (1 Viewer)

Anonymou$

HSC
63/100 for the yearly assessment.
80/100 (Band 5) for the SC.

Do you think I should be in Standard or Advanced English for year 11 2009?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your mark of 80/100 for School Certificate English places you in the top 39% of the state.

Based on enrolment statistics from the 2008 HSC and some very very very rough approximations, that might be about equivalent to being in the top 52% of those who will go on to do the HSC with you.

In 2008 about 52% of the HSC cohort took Advanced, 44% took Standard and 4% took ESL. Not all the best students do Advanced though, there is a reasonable amount of overlap.

This would (again, very very roughly) put you above about 75% of Standard students and above 25% of Advanced students. (Remember that they scale the same so both positions would give you the same scaled mark.)

Having said all of that, if you want a UAI of 85, you are going to have to do a lot better in English anyway or otherwise perform extremely well in your other courses.

If you are willing to put more effort into English, you might benefit from the higher level of conceptualisation required in the Advanced course.

Brontecat

HSC
my english teacher told us that if your willing to put in the effort do advanced because the only real difference is that you are required to analyse and make judgements in advanced as opposed to describing things in standard.

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but this is what my english teacher said but she's a bit whack, kept telling us that we're old enough to leave school and have kids now.

Btw i'm doing advanced next year i got band 5 (mark 87) and a B as my school grade in the SC

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
Overall there's no difference of between Standard and Advanced. Exceptions for Advanced needing to study an extra text, plus having to study a Shakespearian drama. This is from a valuable source, my English teacher who is a Senior Marker in Advanced English, EXT 1 & was one of the seminal contributers to the development of the EX2 course.

jet

Banned
HSC
I would suggest beginning with Advanced. If you don't do well or find it too much work you can drop down to standard for your hsc, and you would have gained alot by doing it. I know one person who was good enough to do advanced, but picked standard instead, and now she really regrets it.

counterman

HSC
I would suggest beginning with Advanced. If you don't do well or find it too much work you can drop down to standard for your hsc, and you would have gained alot by doing it. I know one person who was good enough to do advanced, but picked standard instead, and now she really regrets it.
Yep, I agree with that. I would recommend attempting Advanced first and, seeing how you go in the first term or so, decide whether to continue doing Advanced.

The extra conceptualisation in Advanced would benefit you if you move to Standard. So, if you have the chance to do Advanced, give it a shot and see how you feel.

-tal-

HSC
63/100 for the yearly assessment.
80/100 (Band 5) for the SC.

Do you think I should be in Standard or Advanced English for year 11 2009?
Sky's the limit baby, Advanced ftw!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)