standard scaling is higher than advanced? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
You are very misinformed.
You seem to be under the impression that aligning and scaling are the same processes. No.
The bands and marks given on the 16th December are from the Board of Studies. These are your ALIGNED marks. Don't get them confused with scaled marks, they're not scaled in ANY way. These marks/bands are NOT relative (they're not based on your performance against the other students). They are ONLY skill based, as in a group of HSC markers gather one day and decide the band cutoffs, and anyone higher than that gets a band 6 etc.
The UAI/ATAR given on the 17th December are based on your scaled aggregate - a sum of your top 10 scaled marks. Your scaled mark is not given to you. The scaling is done by the UAC and is completely independent of your HSC bands/marks from the Board of Studies.

Now, barely anyone gets a band 6 in Standard English because barely anyone happens to score a mark higher than what the Board of Studies sets as the Band 6 cutoff. This doesn't have ANYTHING to do with scaling. The Board of Studies recognises that Standard and Advanced are two different subjects.
However, the UAC counts Standard and Advanced English as the SAME group when scaling. That is, in the process of scaling, they do not differentiate between Standard and Advanced students.

That's all, and I'll neg rep you again as soon as I can for trying to misinform others and trying to make me look like an idiot :)

Edit: Directed @ Moke

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
You are very misinformed.
You seem to be under the impression that aligning and scaling are the same processes. No.
The bands and marks given on the 16th December are from the Board of Studies. These are your ALIGNED marks. Don't get them confused with scaled marks, they're not scaled in ANY way. These marks/bands are NOT relative (they're not based on your performance against the other students). They are ONLY skill based, as in a group of HSC markers gather one day and decide the band cutoffs, and anyone higher than that gets a band 6 etc.
The UAI/ATAR given on the 17th December are based on your scaled aggregate - a sum of your top 10 scaled marks. Your scaled mark is not given to you. The scaling is done by the UAC and is completely independent of your HSC bands/marks from the Board of Studies.

Now, barely anyone gets a band 6 in Standard English because barely anyone happens to score a mark higher than what the Board of Studies sets as the Band 6 cutoff. This doesn't have ANYTHING to do with scaling. The Board of Studies recognises that Standard and Advanced are two different subjects.
However, the UAC counts Standard and Advanced English as the SAME group when scaling. That is, in the process of scaling, they do not differentiate between Standard and Advanced students.

That's all, and I'll neg rep you again as soon as I can for trying to misinform others and trying to make me look like an idiot :)

Ownt.

shady145

Banned
HSC

lol he likes being neg repped, look at his sig. thats why i helped him out with a neg rep too =)

Franman

HSC
N/A
YAY! Let's all bicker about how SAM (a tool that has been developed by humans) 'proves' to us that standard scales higher than advanced.

No one gives a shit.

moke

HSC
OOOH NOOO. LOOKS LIKE I WAS USING THE TERM "SCALING" GENERICALLY TO MEAN ALL THE CRAP YOU JUST SAID. YOUR CYBER PENIS MUST BE SOOOO MUCH BIGGER THAN MINE. THINK OF ME NEXT TIME YOUR JACKING OFF TO YOUR "OH SO INFORMED" KNOWLEDGE OF SCALING AND. ILL PUT IT NIIIICE AND SIMPLE FOR ALL OF YOU BOSER WHO SURF THE THREADS LOOKING FOR PLACES TO PUT YOUR EGO ON DISPLAY: advanced > standard "OOH LOOKY HERE THIS GUY'S USING THE TERM 'SCALING' INCORRECTLY! QUICK FUCKWIT-TO THE RESCUE!" MAY YOU ALL REST EASY AND WARM AT NIGHT KNOWING YOU SHOWED THE "VERY MISINFORMED GUY" AND FEEL BETTER INSIDE AFTER NEGATIVE REPPING HIM.

shady145

Banned
HSC
OOOH NOOO. LOOKS LIKE I WAS USING THE TERM "SCALING" GENERICALLY TO MEAN ALL THE CRAP YOU JUST SAID. YOUR CYBER PENIS MUST BE SOOOO MUCH BIGGER THAN MINE. THINK OF ME NEXT TIME YOUR JACKING OFF TO YOUR "OH SO INFORMED" KNOWLEDGE OF SCALING AND. ILL PUT IT NIIIICE AND SIMPLE FOR ALL OF YOU BOSER WHO SURF THE THREADS LOOKING FOR PLACES TO PUT YOUR EGO ON DISPLAY: advanced > standard "OOH LOOKY HERE THIS GUY'S USING THE TERM 'SCALING' INCORRECTLY! QUICK FUCKWIT-TO THE RESCUE!" MAY YOU ALL REST EASY AND WARM AT NIGHT KNOWING YOU SHOWED THE "VERY MISINFORMED GUY" AND FEEL BETTER INSIDE AFTER NEGATIVE REPPING HIM.
ok Mr cranky. XD
its just the net... calm down

youngminii

Banned
HSC
loooooooooooooooool
That just made my day :rofl:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
May I ask why the so called "easier" English course is aptly named "Advanced" whereas the so called "harder" English course is named "Standard"?
Actually Advanced is perceived to be harder than Standard, which is why it's easier to get a Band 6 as a higher proportion of Advanced kids can be perceived as good at English as compared to Standard kids.

Lukybear

HSC
Actually Advanced is perceived to be harder than Standard, which is why it's easier to get a Band 6 as a higher proportion of Advanced kids can be perceived as good at English as compared to Standard kids.
I thought it was because the band 6 cut off for Standard was way higher than the mark achievable by the students?

Can I also just ask, what is actually a band 6?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Band 6 is 90%+ aligned. Yeah the cutoff for Standard is MUCH MUCH higher because standard is perceived to be easier, same how the Cutoff for MX2 is much lower because it's perceived to be harder.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah a bunch of HSC markers actually gather around and look at the paper. Then they look at the band 6 criteria and set the band cutoffs based on the difficulty on the tests. So it's not perfect or anything, but yeah it's good..
@ Lukybear
Band 6 criteria for both Standard and Advanced English
Board of Studies said:
Demonstrates extensive, detailed knowledge, insightful understanding and sophisticated evaluation of the ways meanings are shaped and changed by context, medium of production and the influences that produce different responses to texts. Displays a highly developed ability to describe and analyse a broad range of language forms, features and structures of texts and explain the ways these shape meaning and influence responses in a variety of texts and contexts. Presents a critical, refined personal response showing highly developed skills in interpretation, analysis, synthesis and evaluation of texts and textual detail. Composes imaginatively, interpretively and critically with sustained precision, flair, originality and sophistication for a variety of audiences, purposes and contexts in order to explore and communicate ideas, information and values.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Band 6 is 90%+ aligned. Yeah the cutoff for Standard is MUCH MUCH higher because standard is perceived to be easier, same how the Cutoff for MX2 is much lower because it's perceived to be harder.
Difficulty has nothing to do with anything. It is just that there seems to be a correlation between subjects that are "hard" and the better marks because those students are excelling in their other subjects... hence the reason for their better scaling and aligning.

Yeah a bunch of HSC markers actually gather around and look at the paper. Then they look at the band 6 criteria and set the band cutoffs based on the difficulty on the tests. So it's not perfect or anything, but yeah it's good..
@ Lukybear
Band 6 criteria for both Standard and Advanced English
As far as I'm informed... the markers will get ALOT of papers and compare them all with the requirements and 'strict' cut-offs then have the senior markers decide what is allowed and what can be passed... (or what part of working is worth marks and leniency).

:D

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah there's like 3 stages of 'trained judges' deciding the band cutoffs..
Although there's been controversy over the band cutoffs for Standard.. Like the media (with the support of the Premier) was complaining about the fact that no one got band 6s for Standard in like 2002 or something, so after that the Board of Studies set lower band cutoffs for Standard.
Oh well

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
That's just the effort and teaching quality reflected in that. They are apparently aligned and scaled all the same...

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
hmmm maybe sticking to standard english isn't such a bad idea afterall :D

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Nonono I'd still say stick with Advanced. They're scaled the same but Standard students generally do a lot worse than Advanced.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Nonono I'd still say stick with Advanced. They're scaled the same but Standard students generally do a lot worse than Advanced.
Yeah, because of the aligning based on paper 1 standard kids usually get the short end of the stick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)