standing up for the drama students (1 Viewer)

Willobee

HSC
i love history and especially extension history. studying post modernism at the moment which i find fascinating but it's made me question why thousands of us teenagers go through this cruel form of what can only be considered some sought of a cruel initiation rite of passage. the most intelligent students dont always get the best UAI anyway. i love history english and drama but apparently someone that loves chemistry maths and biology is smarter than me. i admit i couldn't cope with chemistry but i know plenty of chemistry students that couldn't do half of what i do in drama. its all making me very cynical is there anyone out there that feels the same?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Willobee said:
i love history and especially extension history. studying post modernism at the moment which i find fascinating but it's made me question why thousands of us teenagers go through this cruel form of what can only be considered some sought of a cruel initiation rite of passage. the most intelligent students dont always get the best UAI anyway. i love history english and drama but apparently someone that loves chemistry maths and biology is smarter than me. i admit i couldn't cope with chemistry but i know plenty of chemistry students that couldn't do half of what i do in drama. its all making me very cynical is there anyone out there that feels the same?

I don't really understand your question.
And I feel stupid but i'll answer anyway.
Are you questioning postmodernism or are you questioning the values of sciencey subjects vs the arts?

I'm an arts student too, i'm not doing drama, i'm doing visual art, history extension, 4 unit english and religion. I love these subjects, and it isnt true that chemistry and maths and biology are smarter than you. Only if that person studying them is studying them harder than you.

What you should take into account though is that you cannot compare the arts with the sciences.

That science/maths are objective subjects, whilst drama is very subjective and hence why in some cases it must feel like you're not performing as well. (oh puns are the death of me)

I guess since i've realised this I don't feel the same way as you do. But I think that you don't have to feel cynical about doing these subjects because if you aim for great marks, study hard and do every assessment and exam to the best of your ability you'll perform just as well as those biology and chemistry students?

Meh I don't think I answered this particularly well but I'm up for a discussion.

Willobee

HSC
no i agree with what u said. id just had a rotten day where i suppose i was wishin i could just apply a formula to my I.P for drama and get an answer but that's not the case and when it comes down to it thats y i love the subjects i do. we do similar subjects by the sound of it. i did 4 unit english to but dropped down to 3 unit so i could do extension history. the subjects frustrate me heaps but its why i love them. what about u

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i understand what you're saying, that theres this perception held by lots of people that the science/maths orientated students are the smarter ones because their subjects are "harder". they're not. i've heard people saying drama is a bludge subject and im like "have you ever done it???? :eek: " because hello we have 2 major works plus a shitload of theory to get through; its not a bludge. i do a balance between arts and sciencey stuff, with 3u eng, drama, modern history, general maths and bio, and i have to say i actually find the arts/humanities/english subjects more challenging.

Gangels

HSC
I totally agree. All my grade think i shouldnt be at school cause all i do is fuck around in music and drama. I wonder have they ever tried writing a half decent song then performing it, hoping its not the biggest piece of shit ever. how many times have they strung together a ten minute play in a period, or studies Brecht then performed his work. The thing is that maths, eng, science etc, doesnt take that sorta talent. Its requires heaps of work, something ANYONE can do if they put their mind to it

Monz

HSC
Yup, totally agree with you about the arts, i did dance last year, and i'm doing music this year and seriously my UAI will be shit cause of it. I was going to do drama, but stupid me picked business thinking it'd be good, but it turned out crap, as did my mark, i don't know why i didn't change, but i didn't...
Feel sorry for the people at my school who are doing all practicals except english, i know a girl who did dance and D & T last year, then is doing English (std) music and drama this year...hummm yah.

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
Gangels said:
I totally agree. All my grade think i shouldnt be at school cause all i do is fuck around in music and drama. I wonder have they ever tried writing a half decent song then performing it, hoping its not the biggest piece of shit ever. how many times have they strung together a ten minute play in a period, or studies Brecht then performed his work. The thing is that maths, eng, science etc, doesnt take that sorta talent. Its requires heaps of work, something ANYONE can do if they put their mind to it

OMG
OMG
u took the words straigth out of my mouth gangles lets be friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)